Bart

Default Heavy displacement vs Medium Displacement for Ocean Passages

Are boats like the Tayana 37 still popular and still a good choice for
ocean crossings?

I've crawled in and out of a few boats during the past couple weeks
and it looks to me that the heavy displacment boats are just built a
lot better than the mid to light displacement ones. This is
especially true in the price range I can afford (less than $100k).

Most of the heavy displacement boats also have more storage because
the tanks are usually located in the bilge leaving the settees free
for storage. This appears to be another plus.

When comparing open ocean vessels, Is the performace between a heavy
and mid displacment boat really all that much different? If not, then
maybe I wouldn't get bored with a lower performance heavy displacment
vessel. I'm not sure about this and would like comments.

Most heavy displacement boats have bow sprits. If a boat has a 5'
bowsprit, do you add that into the total length of the boat when
computing moorage charges? It would be ashame to get charged for 42'
when the boat is only has 37' on deck and 37' of living space.

As you can see, I'm still having trouble finding a suitable boat. I
want something to liveaboard here in Alaska and in 3 years take off
and at least sail the S. Pacific if not farther.

Rosalie B.

(Bart) wrote:

[...]

I won't presume to answer the other stuff, but I see plenty of heavy
displacement boats in the SSCA notes, and I think they are more
comfortable in a seaway.

But I can answer about the bow sprits. Yes you usually do count them.
You especially count them if it is a face dock. The amount of dock
space you take up includes bow sprits and dinghy davits, and then they
allow about 5 feet between boats. So many marinas do charge for the
total "dock length" (as apposed to deck length) of the boat.

Also if your 37 foot boat does not fit into a 40 foot slip, but sticks
out into the fairway, then you may have to count it or do some
creative slip arrangement.

Some marinas are VERY AR about bow sprits. Some just basically take
your word for the length of the boat, but there are some that don't
and there are even some who will overestimate your boat's length and
charge you for more length than you actually have.

Now on a mooring, I don't think they do count. If you have a 37 foot
boat with a 5 ft bow sprit and the length limit for the moorings is 40
feet, I think the bow sprit would not count.

As you can see, I'm still having trouble finding a suitable boat. I
want something to liveaboard here in Alaska and in 3 years take off
and at least sail the S. Pacific if not farther.

grandma Rosalie
Paul Revere

In article , (Bart) wrote:
Are boats like the Tayana 37 still popular and still a good choice for
ocean crossings?

I've crawled in and out of a few boats during the past couple weeks
and it looks to me that the heavy displacment boats are just built a
lot better than the mid to light displacement ones. This is
especially true in the price range I can afford (less than $100k).

Most of the heavy displacement boats also have more storage because
the tanks are usually located in the bilge leaving the settees free
for storage. This appears to be another plus.

When comparing open ocean vessels, Is the performace between a heavy
and mid displacment boat really all that much different? If not, then
maybe I wouldn't get bored with a lower performance heavy displacment
vessel. I'm not sure about this and would like comments.

What's boring in light weather is comforting in heavy weather.

If you're in a hurry take an airplane.

If you're in a heavy displacement boat and crave excitment, find another heavy
displacement boat to race.

Most heavy displacement boats have bow sprits. If a boat has a 5'
bowsprit, do you add that into the total length of the boat when
computing moorage charges? It would be ashame to get charged for 42'
when the boat is only has 37' on deck and 37' of living space.

Bowsprits are included in overall length.

As you can see, I'm still having trouble finding a suitable boat. I
want something to liveaboard here in Alaska and in 3 years take off
and at least sail the S. Pacific if not farther.

Gualtier Malde

Bart wrote:
[...]

Our daughter and son-in-law worked in Saipan for 5 years. During that
time they bought a very badly maintained 36' Union and worked hard to
make it livable and seaworthy.

In Seattle, I was telling a sail boating friend about the purchase and
the product and he put on a disappointed face, saying "I hate to see
kids buying a boat like that." I was alarmed but, in a flash, realized
he was a racing sailor for whom nothing was as important as that. And
he confirmed it as he went on: "The damn things are like Hans Christians
- they can't get out of their own way in less than a full gale."

He must have seen my anxiety, because he seemed to relent and finally
said: "Of course, no matter how bad it gets, she'll bring her crew home".

Our kids had previously had no significant blue water experience,
maintenance and surveying on Saipan was minimal, and I was terribly
worried about their planned crossing to Seattle in the summer of 2001.
We got reports from Pacific Seafarers' Net, but worried constantly. We
could tell they were having some trouble with equipment - the Saipan
fuel congealed in the cold weather of the north Pacific, the water maker
stopped working... All through those months I clung to those words like
a mantra: "She'll bring them home". And she did.

Our daughter told us later that they experienced about every type of
condition they could imagine, and not once had any concern for their
safety.

My vote is: "Heavy"

This outgoing message has been scanned by AVG Anti-Virus 7.0.
http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php

Toolowd

We have only been charged one time for our bowsprit and boomkin and windvane.
That was on a face dock, they also only charged for 35 feet (westsail 32 that
is 43 feet overall).

Rich

Rosalie B.

(Toolowd) wrote:

We have only been charged one time for our bowsprit and boomkin and windvane.
That was on a face dock, they also only charged for 35 feet (westsail 32 that
is 43 feet overall).

We don't have a bowsprit - only an ordinary bow pulpit. We do have
dinghy davits. We have been charged for the total length of the boat
(from the end of the anchor sticking out of the bow pulpit to the end
of the dinghy) in two different places (several times in each place).

One was the face dock at what was Palmer Johnson in Thunderbolt GA and
I can see the point, although other folks with face docks do not do
this, and PJ charged us for the full boat length even though we were
at the end of the dock, and the boat was sticking out over the end so
we were only taking up about 35 feet of the dock.

The other was a slip in Marathon Marina and Boatyard. [Not Marathon
Marina / Marathon Municipal Marina/ City Marina OR Marathon Boatyard
both of which are different organizations.] MM&B charged us for 51
feet even though we were totally within a 50 foot slip and had extra
room on both ends. I've also seen him charge a boat which was in a
half slip (had a dock on only one side, but was not a face dock) for
more length than the boat actually measured based on his estimate.
Along with other policies of the marina this cheeseparing attitude
contributed to our decision not to return to Florida with the boat
again.

grandma Rosalie

S/V RosalieAnn, Leonardtown, MD
CSY 44 WO #156
http://home.mindspring.com/~gmbeasley/id2.html
engsol

You might take a look at:
www.mahina.com/boats.html

Joh Neal provides one-liners for quite a few boats. If nothing else,
it should serve as a handy check-list to narrow your search a bit.
Hope this helps....Norm B.

On Sun, 09 May 2004 03:06:17 GMT, (Bart) wrote:

[...]

Matt/Meribeth Pedersen

"Bart" wrote in message
Are boats like the Tayana 37 still popular and still a good choice for
ocean crossings?

When comparing open ocean vessels, Is the performace between a heavy
and mid displacment boat really all that much different? If not, then
maybe I wouldn't get bored with a lower performance heavy displacment
vessel. I'm not sure about this and would like comments.

In passagemaking, I don't see the moderate displacement boats
burning up the miles significantly faster than the heavy displacement ones.
I do think that you need to have adequate sail area to make a decent
passage, but when you're cruising, trying to keep the boat speed up over
about 1.2 sqrt WL is just too much trouble. As long as you are
powered up, then waterline length is going to govern.

Most heavy displacement boats have bow sprits. If a boat has a 5'
bowsprit, do you add that into the total length of the boat when
computing moorage charges? It would be ashame to get charged for 42'
when the boat is only has 37' on deck and 37' of living space.

Different policies in different places - permanent moorage usually charges
LOA. I know a guy who cruises on a boat with bowsprit and when
he goes for guest moorage, if they don't ask he'll tell them the LOD.
He can save a few bucks that way.

Rich Hampel

In article , Bart
wrote:
I have a TY37, so consider that I have a bias towards them.
Are boats like the Tayana 37 still popular and still a good choice for
ocean crossings?

Yup, they are still popular. A 'good' one will only take a week or two
to sell. The Tayana yard just delivered a new TY37 pilothouse - still
in production but obviously not as in demand as before .... design is
getting a little ' long in the tooth' and is subject to poor prior
maintenance.

I've crawled in and out of a few boats during the past couple weeks
and it looks to me that the heavy displacment boats are just built a
lot better than the mid to light displacement ones. This is
especially true in the price range I can afford (less than $100k).

I would say that 'heavies' are too overbuilt. The laminate schedules
are probably waaaaaaaay to thick and were produced in a non-continuous
process resulting in a much thicker but ultimately weaker structure
than by todays standards of good yards. Until recently, yards would be
on an ~8 hour basis, leaving the uncompleted laminate to cure overnight
before starting again the morning. The result is a weak bond between
the partly cured layers. Ultra-modern layup is vacuum bagged, almost
continuous, and may even be done under refrigerated conditions to
ensure a complete bond between layers. The result is vastly stronger
and much lighter weight structure.

Most of the heavy displacement boats also have more storage because
the tanks are usually located in the bilge leaving the settees free
for storage. This appears to be another plus.

Nah.... most of the heavies NEED tank-ballast in the bilge because they
have encapsulated keels (of cement and iron, etc.) ..... making the
the underwater profile of keel ***width*** to length somewhat
ridiculous by todays standards. Personally, I think most of the
'heavies' are too 'top-heavy' also.

When comparing open ocean vessels, Is the performace between a heavy
and mid displacment boat really all that much different? If not, then
maybe I wouldn't get bored with a lower performance heavy displacment
vessel. I'm not sure about this and would like comments.

Yes there is a significant difference. An easily driven lightweight
hull typically depends a lot on form stability (beam, etc.) while the
'heavy' depends more on ballast. The lighter weight is more easily
driven, allows a vastly smaller sail plan (usually a fractional rig),
accelerates faster when tacking, etc. Heavies are usually old fashioned
spoon bowed - resulting in a shorter waterline length, while light
weights are usually 'knuckle bowed' - longer water line length =
FASTER. A heavy will usually have a slower roll period while the
lightweight will be have a much faster roll period .... choice depends
on which roll period makes you puke. Especially when loaded in the
ends, a short water line length heavy will hobby-horse more than a
knuckle-bowed, fat assed lightweight.

Most heavy displacement boats have bow sprits. If a boat has a 5'
bowsprit, do you add that into the total length of the boat when
computing moorage charges? It would be ashame to get charged for 42'
when the boat is only has 37' on deck and 37' of living space.

Huh? you live in the cockpit.... the 'living-space' is for stores.
A TY37 is ~43 LOA .... but when coming into a marina, I just tell them
its a Tayana 37 and let the sprit hang out in the fairway, most marinas
are too lazy to look ... all they hear is 37. I have a 'fold-up' stern
davit that removes another 4 ft.
Buy a good set of anchors and dinghy in.

As you can see, I'm still having trouble finding a suitable boat. I
want something to liveaboard here in Alaska and in 3 years take off
and at least sail the S. Pacific if not farther.

If you're not out to beat any trans-ocean speed records, a heavy will
do just fine. Its the total miles not the speed of passage that
counts. Need to get there faster, take a plane. If you need to show
off, get a Donzi or a Hobie.

A well prepared heavy: faired hull and keel, baby's-ass smooth bottom,
feathering prop, well cut and well set/shaped sails, etc. will be an
incredible performance boost on any 'heavy', especially for light air.
A cutter rig with a removable jibstay is great for 'coastal' work, just
dont believe ANYTHNG you've ever read about the disadvantages of a
staysail. .... all BS. If you opt for a cutter, get a staysail boom,
just keep your knees and head clear A boomed staysail (needs a vang)
is self-tacking, keeps its shape on a reach, run, etc. - learn to
become an instant flat-spot on the foredeck if all goes wrong.

Most 'heavies' you find will have the bottom smoothness of a hand-laid
tarmac or dirt road - bottom paint put on with a GD thick knapped
roller, through-hulls sticking out all over the place like carbunckles,
a 3 or 4 blade fixed prop (might as well drag a wash tub), the sails
will usually be beyond blown-out bed sheets, all the weight in the bow
and stern ..... typically Winnebagos with sails.
Light winds.... no problem for heavy with a smooth/fair bottom and good
sails. I occasionally race my TY37 'tub' with quite surprising results
(boat is highly underated by PHRF). Once you get up to hull speed, it
doesnt make any difference if its a heavy or a light weight, although
the modern lightweights can point MUCH better.

If you have any racing experience, apply that to a 'heavy' and you have
a secure, relatively fast (not a racehorse), safe passagemaker.
Consider Robert Perry, Robert Harris, etc. designs .... proven designs.
More Perry designs have circumnavigated than any designer: Tayana,
Tashiba, Baba, Valiant, Passport, etc. etc. .... that ought to tell
you something.
If I had it to do all over again, I'd opt for external ballast, split
underbody with a balanced spade rudder. If I were in the market for a
brand new blue-water boat, I really lean towards a deep fin external
keel (with a not-so-flat bottom), with a balanced spade rudder (perhpas
giving up the supreme advantage of being able to totally heave-to in
quiet stability). I dont think that 'weight' buys you anything.

My ultimate 'dream boat ' would be a Millennia (or Tollycraft)
**FastPassage 39**, (PHRF ~115). A faster boat can 'avoid' the
weather a little better.
Stay away from the old 'rule beaters' - narrow / short waterline
lengths, etc. Once you narrow your choice, go to the design-specific
email discussion groups on Sailnet, etc. and do a detail archive search
for the 'problems'.

;-)

Armond Perretta

Rosalie B. wrote:

But I can answer about the bow sprits ...

Now on a mooring, I don't think they do count. If you have a 37
foot boat with a 5 ft bow sprit and the length limit for the
moorings is 40 feet, I think the bow sprit would not count.

Our experience may differ, but I've never encountered rental moorings priced
by length. I have certainly encountered moorings that are designed for
particular lengths or displacements or drafts, etc., but they were all
rented at the same dollars/day, Martha's Vineyard and Northeast Harbor ME
are typical examples.

Where have you paid different prices for putting different length vessels on
a mooring?

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat