Rosalie B.

Default Heavy displacement vs Medium Displacement for Ocean Passages

(Toolowd) wrote:

We have only been charged one time for our bowsprit and boomkin and windvane.
That was on a face dock, they also only charged for 35 feet (westsail 32 that
is 43 feet overall).

We don't have a bowsprit - only an ordinary bow pulpit. We do have
dinghy davits. We have been charged for the total length of the boat
(from the end of the anchor sticking out of the bow pulpit to the end
of the dinghy) in two different places (several times in each place).

One was the face dock at what was Palmer Johnson in Thunderbolt GA and
I can see the point, although other folks with face docks do not do
this, and PJ charged us for the full boat length even though we were
at the end of the dock, and the boat was sticking out over the end so
we were only taking up about 35 feet of the dock.

The other was a slip in Marathon Marina and Boatyard. [Not Marathon
Marina / Marathon Municipal Marina/ City Marina OR Marathon Boatyard
both of which are different organizations.] MM&B charged us for 51
feet even though we were totally within a 50 foot slip and had extra
room on both ends. I've also seen him charge a boat which was in a
half slip (had a dock on only one side, but was not a face dock) for
more length than the boat actually measured based on his estimate.
Along with other policies of the marina this cheeseparing attitude
contributed to our decision not to return to Florida with the boat
again.

grandma Rosalie

S/V RosalieAnn, Leonardtown, MD
CSY 44 WO #156