Matt/Meribeth Pedersen

Default Heavy displacement vs Medium Displacement for Ocean Passages

"Bart" wrote in message
Are boats like the Tayana 37 still popular and still a good choice for
ocean crossings?

When comparing open ocean vessels, Is the performace between a heavy
and mid displacment boat really all that much different? If not, then
maybe I wouldn't get bored with a lower performance heavy displacment
vessel. I'm not sure about this and would like comments.

In passagemaking, I don't see the moderate displacement boats
burning up the miles significantly faster than the heavy displacement ones.
I do think that you need to have adequate sail area to make a decent
passage, but when you're cruising, trying to keep the boat speed up over
about 1.2 sqrt WL is just too much trouble. As long as you are
powered up, then waterline length is going to govern.

Most heavy displacement boats have bow sprits. If a boat has a 5'
bowsprit, do you add that into the total length of the boat when
computing moorage charges? It would be ashame to get charged for 42'
when the boat is only has 37' on deck and 37' of living space.

Different policies in different places - permanent moorage usually charges
LOA. I know a guy who cruises on a boat with bowsprit and when
he goes for guest moorage, if they don't ask he'll tell them the LOD.
He can save a few bucks that way.