Default Rachel Carson SPOT link

Wayne.B wrote in
:

On 24 Oct 2008 02:44:18 GMT, Larry wrote:

Is St Catharines as beautiful as it appears from the satellite photo?

I've driven through there a few times. What you can see from the
main highway is very industrial and not exactly a garden spot.

Hmm....I've never seen a small city from the satellites with so many
swimming pools painted bright blue. The industry must be making the locals
quite well off. There's lots of really nice neighborhoods from the air.

Jere Lull wrote in news:2008102323213275249-
jerelull@maccom:

As I write, their position hasn't been updated for 30 minutes, but it
looks like they were just about to exit then.

The last fix I saw looked like they were tied up to a quay, starboard-to,
just before the exit into Lake Ontario. Maybe they're doing some
maintenance before the next jump. That doesn't look like a fuel dump, but
I suppose it could be a fueling point, which would make sense at that exit.

"Fill 'er up! Gimme 10,000 gallons of #2 fuel oil and clean the
windshields, please. Use Roger's credit card. It's his turn to buy!"

On 2008-10-23 23:54:33 -0400, Wayne.B said:

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 03:21:31 GMT, Jere Lull wrote:

As I write, their position hasn't been updated for 30 minutes, but it
looks like they were just about to exit then.

I think they have docked for the night on the north end of the canal.
They could have made Oswego in the morning if they'd run all night
down Lake O, not terribly difficult. The Oswego Canal does not run
at night so they'll most likely be spending the night there tomorrow.

Looks like you're right. They started moving about 5:20 EDT.

--
Jere Lull

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 02:44:18 +0000, someone posting as Larry purportedly
wrote:

wordsmith wrote in
m:

St. Catharines.

Is St Catharines as beautiful as it appears from the satellite photo?

there are some nice areas in St. Kitts -as the locals call it- Pt.
Dalhousie is nice -there are a couple of marinas there -lots of sail-
it's at the mouth of the original 1812-14 Welland Canal... but like a lot
of places, there are some pretty run down areas as well. GM is a big
employer there but they are in decline. The surrounding area and Niagara-
on-the-Lake is nice -agriculture and "historical" -this area is really
where Canada began...the wine industry is quite big and some of it is
actually worth trying...

but as to your Smart car, are you going to convert it to a veg-o-matic?

--
if it was easy, everyone would do it

Jere Lull wrote in

On 2008-10-23 23:54:33 -0400, Wayne.B
said:

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 03:21:31 GMT, Jere Lull wrote:

As I write, their position hasn't been updated for 30 minutes, but
it looks like they were just about to exit then.

I think they have docked for the night on the north end of the canal.
They could have made Oswego in the morning if they'd run all night
down Lake O, not terribly difficult. The Oswego Canal does not run
at night so they'll most likely be spending the night there tomorrow.

Looks like you're right. They started moving about 5:20 EDT.

Since this group seems to be following their every move, you can view
videos of this section of their trip on my web site. I just completed this
and have extensive videos and photos. You can find the videos at

http://www.geoffschultz.org/2008_Sailing/Photos/#video

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 08:35:50 -0500, Geoff Schultz
wrote:

Since this group seems to be following their every move, you can view
videos of this section of their trip on my web site. I just completed this
and have extensive videos and photos. You can find the videos at

http://www.geoffschultz.org/2008_Sailing/Photos/#video

Nice videos Geoff, looks like you've been busy. What were your
favorite parts of that trip?

Roger, are you staying overnight in Oswego? Clearing Customs etc? Spot
made it look as if running the lake was a piece of cake. Can you fill
us in, please?

Wayne.B wrote in
:

wrote:

Since this group seems to be following their every move, you can view
videos of this section of their trip on my web site. I just completed
this and have extensive videos and photos. You can find the videos
at

http://www.geoffschultz.org/2008_Sailing/Photos/#video

Nice videos Geoff, looks like you've been busy. What were your
favorite parts of that trip?

I'm actually inthe process of writing my my end-of-voyage report. I'll
post it here or a pointer to it. To put it mildly, it was a long, cold and
wet voyage that I'm glad that I did, but I wouldn't do it again.

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org

wordsmith wrote in
m:

but as to your Smart car, are you going to convert it to a veg-o-matic?

Thanks for the info. No conversion is necessary in warm South Carolina
where it rarely gets very cold here on the ocean near the Gulf Stream. We
haven't had snow for years.

I'm running both a '73 220D and an '83 300TD estate wagon on a mixture of 1
gallon of mineral spirits in 50 gallons of cleaned, used vegoil from some
Chinese restaurants. In winter, I simply double the mineral spirits to
make it thinner. My truck is a 5.7L GM diesel V-8 Chevy stepvan and it has
a Frybrid heater in it I bought by mistake before I found out how easy it
was to make my own fuel. There's no magic, extensive chemical engineering
or anything of the sort....er, ah, unless you get it on your jeans. The
restaurants fry a lot of seafood here in seafood country, so the oil
sometimes makes the diesel smell like fish oil. It never smells like
french fries as that boils off during the cooking with the water vapor.

I'd run the Smart on the mix without conversion. Others are doing it with
good results. The US distributor doesn't want us to have the diesel for
some stupid reason probably related to Big Oil controlling EPA and, of
course, dealer profits servicing gasoline engines often....what killed the
GM EV-1 electric car years ago.

Welcome to the Great Lakes. Now you know. Aren't you glad you weren't
on Superior?

Don't buy a SPOT quite yet Roger Long Cruising 4 June 29th 08 04:25 PM
Johnny Carson dies Tuuuk General 0 January 24th 05 11:08 PM
Good-bye Johnny Carson! Scout ASA 0 January 24th 05 10:34 AM