Default Rachel Carson SPOT link

"Larry" wrote in message
"Roger Long" wrote in news:gdn4t2$hco$1
@registered.motzarella.org:

ETD now Thursday morning.

Making great headway. They are at Longpoint Provincial Park, now. That
brings back some great memories. When I was a boy, we camped at Longpoint
Provincial park in our little teardrop pop-open camper my dad built.

It was our first camping trip into Canada. The guy taking our rental app
says, "Do you want 'hydro'?". Dad had no idea what he was talking about
so
said he did. We found out later "hydro" means electric power, so that
worked out good. It was cold at night and that little electric heater
came
in handy on the "hydro". I think the campsite cost us about 75c and
"hydro" was an extra dollar. I suppose that would pay to walk across the
park, now...(c;

The satellite images look like they have nice camping spaces, now. It was
just an open field with some power outlets in those days of the early
1960's.

Well, back to sea....Everything must be running great to make this
headway.

That 'hydro' thing is a regional term and describes how most of the
electricity is generated.
In this province we always burned coal... although windpower is supplying a
fraction these days.
In Newfoundland/labrador, Quebec and mostly Ontario 'hydro' is king.

Jan wrote in
:

I doubt if $1.75 would get you much there now Larry, I
think it's about $9 just for a reservation. It certainly is a lovely
place to camp though, been there many times with the kids.

We met the Vidlers from Simcoe, Ontario, by accident at the campsite. They
were in their little trailer next to us. The friendship forged over 3 days
lasted a lifetime. I still get Christmas cards from the "kids". We would
go camping together somewhere in Ontario or Western NY each Summer at least
a couple of times. Like my parents, their parents have also died. Those
were great times in tiny campers you couldn't stand up in. That first trip
through Ontario we circumnavigated the entire Great Lakes in 3 weeks....(c;

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 18:59:34 +0000, Larry wrote:

They should really stop somewhere along the Welland and change the oil in
those brand new diesels before crossing Ontario.

They are almost through the canal as of 8:30PM after a brief stop in
Port Colborne, possibly for customs clearance or canal lockage fees.

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 20:31:35 -0400, someone posting as Wayne.B purportedly
wrote:

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 18:59:34 +0000, Larry wrote:

They should really stop somewhere along the Welland and change the oil
in those brand new diesels before crossing Ontario.

They are almost through the canal as of 8:30PM after a brief stop in
Port Colborne, possibly for customs clearance or canal lockage fees.

Wheatley and Pt. Colborne are both in Ontario so it's not likely a
Customs issue. They may have had to wait for a laker to clear upbound
before entering themselves. There are drydocks and service facilities
above Lock 1 in St. Catharines.

--
if it was easy, everyone would do it

Wayne.B wrote in
:

canal lockage fees.

I'm sure that's the reason....taxes....(c;

I see they are in a lock now and have only one lock to go to the Ontario
level. Zoom in with it in satellite mode and you can see the orange ore
carrier that was in that lock when they snapped the sat photo.

wordsmith wrote in
m:

St. Catharines.

Is St Catharines as beautiful as it appears from the satellite photo?

I talked to the Smart Car/Mercedes dealer in St Catharines about flying up
to the border and buying a diesel-powered Smart CDi Fortwo from him. He
had the cars to sell me but he said he had not had a single US customer who
had successfully been able to relicense one of the cars taken back to the
USA from his dealership. I don't understand why. The smart cars are all
listed on the EPA's list of cars you're supposed to be allowed to import
that are exempt from the testing.

Maybe it's cheaper to buy and license them in Ontario and keep them
licensed up there. I can't imagine that, though.

Smart USA doesn't want to sell me a car without some "waiting list"
gimmick, which is bull**** in this market at this time when noone is buying
cars. Smart USA also doesn't want to import the 3-cyl, common-rail DIESEL
they have in Canada. They only want to sell the high end sport models
marked up to $18K+. I want a basic diesel with no $1200 radio, no sunroof
to leak and only the air conditioner. They refuse to sell it to
me...arrogant *******s.

On 2008-10-23 14:59:34 -0400, Larry said:

Wayne.B wrote in
:

On 23 Oct 2008 15:06:06 GMT, Larry wrote:

It'll be fun watching them come through the locks.

Do you have a good webcam site for the canal and/or locks ?

Not the Welland, sorry.

I gotta get up there some day. My grand dad worked on it as an engineer
doing underwater concrete.

As I write, their position hasn't been updated for 30 minutes, but it
looks like they were just about to exit then.

--
Jere Lull

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 03:21:31 GMT, Jere Lull wrote:

As I write, their position hasn't been updated for 30 minutes, but it
looks like they were just about to exit then.

I think they have docked for the night on the north end of the canal.
They could have made Oswego in the morning if they'd run all night
down Lake O, not terribly difficult. The Oswego Canal does not run
at night so they'll most likely be spending the night there tomorrow.

On 24 Oct 2008 02:44:18 GMT, Larry wrote:

Is St Catharines as beautiful as it appears from the satellite photo?

I've driven through there a few times. What you can see from the
main highway is very industrial and not exactly a garden spot.

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 23:54:33 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 03:21:31 GMT, Jere Lull wrote:

As I write, their position hasn't been updated for 30 minutes, but it
looks like they were just about to exit then.

I think they have docked for the night on the north end of the canal.
They could have made Oswego in the morning if they'd run all night
down Lake O, not terribly difficult. The Oswego Canal does not run
at night so they'll most likely be spending the night there tomorrow.

Looks as though they are at a waiting area just before Lock 1. That's
the point where pleasure craft wait for clearance to enter Lock 1 on
the up-bound trip.

Jan
"If you can't take a joke, you shouldn't have joined"

Don't buy a SPOT quite yet Roger Long Cruising 4 June 29th 08 04:25 PM
Johnny Carson dies Tuuuk General 0 January 25th 05 12:08 AM
Good-bye Johnny Carson! Scout ASA 0 January 24th 05 11:34 AM