Larry Larry is offline

Default Rachel Carson SPOT link

wordsmith wrote in
m:

but as to your Smart car, are you going to convert it to a veg-o-matic?

Thanks for the info. No conversion is necessary in warm South Carolina
where it rarely gets very cold here on the ocean near the Gulf Stream. We
haven't had snow for years.

I'm running both a '73 220D and an '83 300TD estate wagon on a mixture of 1
gallon of mineral spirits in 50 gallons of cleaned, used vegoil from some
Chinese restaurants. In winter, I simply double the mineral spirits to
make it thinner. My truck is a 5.7L GM diesel V-8 Chevy stepvan and it has
a Frybrid heater in it I bought by mistake before I found out how easy it
was to make my own fuel. There's no magic, extensive chemical engineering
or anything of the sort....er, ah, unless you get it on your jeans. The
restaurants fry a lot of seafood here in seafood country, so the oil
sometimes makes the diesel smell like fish oil. It never smells like
french fries as that boils off during the cooking with the water vapor.

I'd run the Smart on the mix without conversion. Others are doing it with
good results. The US distributor doesn't want us to have the diesel for
some stupid reason probably related to Big Oil controlling EPA and, of
course, dealer profits servicing gasoline engines often....what killed the
GM EV-1 electric car years ago.