Default See her go!

"Roger Long" wrote in
:

"Larry" wrote

How many gph is it drinking at WOT??

126.6 GPH.

They just figured out that, despite current fuel prices, she'll be
cheaper overall than their existing boat that burns half as much since
there are also hourly charges for crew etc. and the extra speed
offsets those costs.

--
Roger Long

Yikes!

In the governmental scheme of things, it's a pittance, I supppose. After
all, we just handed the banker billionaires $700B more we don't have.
What's a few gallons more or less at the fuel dock....(c;

Spinning around in my head typing this, I pondered, "I wonder if she'll
still be around when the oil is gone, tied forlornly to an old piling
laying in the mud because there's nothing to run it on anymore." Boats
like yours last for decades and decades of oil we don't have left....

Jere Lull wrote in news:2008101000275816807-
jerelull@maccom:

I'm SO glad I don't have to pay those fuel bills.

--
Jere Lull

Er, ah, Jere? You ARE paying those fuel bills. We all are!

Larry wrote:
!

In the governmental scheme of things, it's a pittance, I supppose. After
all, we just handed the banker billionaires $700B more we don't have.
What's a few gallons more or less at the fuel dock....(c;

Spinning around in my head typing this, I pondered, "I wonder if she'll
still be around when the oil is gone, tied forlornly to an old piling
laying in the mud because there's nothing to run it on anymore." Boats
like yours last for decades and decades of oil we don't have left....

Don't kid yourself, we've got decades left, it's just going to cost a
little more to retrieve it. Oil Sands, Oil Shale, off shore, Alaska,
Antarctica,,,, someday soon the Arabs will be crying because they
pumped all of theirs.

Sadly we'll feel sorry and give them lots of foreign aid so they can
build bombs, protest how we are filthy infidels and at the same time eat
from our fields.,

Cheers
Martin

"Roger Long" wrote in
:

"Jere Lull" wrote

I'm SO glad I don't have to pay those fuel bills.

I see by the address in your signature file that you will be. Don't
worry though. It's not as bad as it looks. Full speed operation is
limited to 10% of operation by engine rating and the boat will spend
most of it's cruising time burning about half of that. Most of it's
overall time will be spent on scientific station burning just 5 - 10
GPH.

BTW, it's also one of the smallest vessels in the world to have
dynamic positioning. Give it a command and it will stay within a
couple meters of a spot over the bottom and maintain heading.
Yesterday, I watched it back slowly up to a buoy to the position where
it could be attached to the A-frame in a 25 knot wind. This was under
completely automatic control while we just stood and watched. It then
stopped at the right point and just sat there. The autopilot is part
of the DPS system which is connected to the LAN and the satellite
Internet so, with the several video cameras on board, you could
literally sit at your computer on land and drive it around with no one
aboard.

Very cool.

--
Roger Long

Back in the 1980's I worked for Tracor, Inc., Applied Sciences,
Electronic Systems Division....one of the Beltway Bandits that actually
functioned well. They sent me over to install an extensive
fire/flooding/intrusion alarm system aboard Tracor Marine's SEACON sea
construction barge, that was at that time being fitted to build an
extensive chainfall anchorage inside the volcano cone that is Diego
Garcia Golf Course and Luxury Resort in the Indian Ocean. SEACON had
the wierdest propulsion system. There were two units in the stern and
one in the bow. I thought they were like Z-drives but they weren't. I
never saw what was underwater they used for steering.

The hydraulics were controlled by a PDP-8E minicomputer programmed from
a paper tape reader and tape drive. A joystick interfaced the computer
with the humans and the computer signals controlled the hydraulics on
the drives. It would do about 8 knots in ANY direction, even sideways.
As I was quite involved with the project by the time this monster alarm
system, which even included a VHF paging system to alert crew via pagers
from a 150 watt paging transmitter on the ship, I got to go out on sea
trials with her after the retrofit.

Pushing the joystick to starboard resulted in us pulling sideways away
from the dock out into the river. As we were pointed the wrong way, the
mate ROTATED the joystick clockwise, causing SEACON to rotate on its
central vertical axis until he released it. Then, the computer simply
stopped SEACON pointing in the direction, after a little overshoot
because he was too quick, the mate released the joystick. Simply
pushing the joystick forward resulted in our moving in the general
direction the bow was pointed in down the river, to the astonishment of
some fishing boats who saw hit and stood in awe scratching their heads.
As they watched, the mate moved the joystick a bit to starboard causing
the boat to not turn, but to SLIDE at an angle as it was going forward
towards the starboard shore. It was uncanny the way you could make it
go in any direction.

Once over the work area, sonar pingers were released to the bottom
(disposable). A small sonar array fed the position of the pingers to
the PDP-8 and it drove the 3 crazy diesel drives to compensate for any
drift, holding SEACON in position, perfectly, over that pinger in up to
6.5 knots of current, no matter which direction that current tried to
drag her or turn her. She moved up and down in the waves, of course,
but maintained her position and didn't rotate a bit.

You could also drive it like a proper boat with a wheel and all but that
was simply a computer-generated illusion as it had no rudder or screws
to kill the divers that I ever saw. They towed it with a big seagoing
tug from Norfolk VA to Diego Garcia Resort and Insane Asylum.

SEACON was quite an underwater work platform. There was a pretty huge
crane running on a captive railroad track on port and starboard rails
hovering over the whole boat. An electric drive turned gears that moved
the crane fore and aft from the stacks to the stern and the crane could
reach out quite far aft and to either side overboard, pick something up
really heavy and set it right on the big flat deck astern of the
"Garage", the only way I can describe its workshop. There was a huge
trunk open to the sea under the centrally located "garage" whos decking
was like a draw bridge and whos "roof" opened up so the crane could
lower/raise things from the sea bottom right up through the center of
gravity of the boat. Closed, with the rollup doors down, you had a
quite large giant workshop to build things with, ocmpletely out of the
weather.

I tried to find a picture, but even Google couldn't find her, now that
Tracor Marine is but a memory.

Well, wherever she is, she has a helluva alarm system. It took 5 of us
3 months to install it. There were thermal intrusion alarm heads almost
everywhere to the central alarm center hidden away in a storage
compartment. I got 18 miles range out of the POCSAG paging system from
a 6db antenna on top of her mast....(c; I could even listen to
intruders (crew) talking from that far away with the various
microphones.

I've always regretted my refusal of her captain's offer to ride her to
Diego Garcia on her crew. My boss in electronic engineering had other
ideas....(c;

Damn.....

"Michael Porter" wrote

Good feeling, isn't it, when it all works right. Congratulations!

Thanks.

Way back when I first laid out the rough idea, we based our operating cost
projections on the maximum continuous horsepower for the engine (80%) and
half fuel on the theory that they would always go as fast as possible in
transit. The fuel curves just came back yesterday and that turns out to be
the best fuel economy speed (mileage) and she goes 1.5 knots faster than I
promised when we settled on the preliminary design.

We got the dynamic positioning system fully installed and demonstrated
yesterday and it is amazing. In DP maneuvering mode with the joy stick, you
can steer straight down a narrow channel. If you got too close to one side,
you just push the joystick sideways and the boat moves that direction
without changing heading. To change heading, twist the joy stick. To dock,
just pull up sideways to the space, stop, push the joystick over, and she
goes straight in sideways. Push a button and she stays in one spon within
3 - 6 feet and 1 - 2 degrees of heading while the shore line handlers amble
down from the shop. Punch in a closing speed and offset, and she moves into
the dock while you stand their with your hands in your pocket and then
stops. Docking single handed in up to 20 knot winds and just stepping
ashore to handle the lines would be perfectly feasible although someone
ought to be at the controls in case of system failure.

The DP techs believe this is the smallest DP vessel in the world in
displacement. There are a couple of shorter ones (one also of my design)
but they are much heavier displacement vessels.

Tours will not be given to powerboaters because they don't want to have to
wipe the drool off the consoles.

--
Roger Long