Default See her go!

New pictures and videos of the research vessel on my website including this
full speed run past the harbor mouth:

http://home.maine.rr.com/rlma/RVRCrunpast.wmv

--
Roger Long
http://home.maine.rr.com/rlma

"Roger Long" wrote in message
New pictures and videos of the research vessel on my website including
this
full speed run past the harbor mouth:

http://home.maine.rr.com/rlma/RVRCrunpast.wmv

--
Roger Long
http://home.maine.rr.com/rlma

I like the 2nd flag on the mast.
Nice boat....... must be neat to see it running after all the planning.

"Roger Long" wrote in
:

New pictures and videos of the research vessel on my website including
this full speed run past the harbor mouth:

http://home.maine.rr.com/rlma/RVRCrunpast.wmv

--
Roger Long
http://home.maine.rr.com/rlma

Isn't that a no wake zone?

Damned Jetskiiers always zooming about makin' all that noise!

Friday Oct 9.

Got the trim tabs working and did formal trials today with a 3800 pound
block on deck to simulate the winches. Got a solid 24 knots on a 1 hour
run. Full speed turns nice and flat with 250 -300 foot turning circle.

I am really happy with this boat.

--
Roger Long
http://home.maine.rr.com/rlma

"Roger Long" wrote in news:gcm0hq$d94$1
@registered.motzarella.org:

I am really happy with this boat.

I like the part where someone ELSE is buying the FUEL....(c;

Drive it like you stole it...(c;

How many gph is it drinking at WOT??

"Larry" wrote

How many gph is it drinking at WOT??

126.6 GPH.

They just figured out that, despite current fuel prices, she'll be cheaper
overall than their existing boat that burns half as much since there are
also hourly charges for crew etc. and the extra speed offsets those costs.

--
Roger Long

On 2008-10-09 21:23:43 -0400, "Roger Long" said:

"Larry" wrote

How many gph is it drinking at WOT??

126.6 GPH.

OMG! That's more in 1 hour than we've used in probably 5 years and a
few thousand nm.

I'm SO glad I don't have to pay those fuel bills.

--
Jere Lull

"Jere Lull" wrote

I'm SO glad I don't have to pay those fuel bills.

I see by the address in your signature file that you will be. Don't worry
though. It's not as bad as it looks. Full speed operation is limited to
10% of operation by engine rating and the boat will spend most of it's
cruising time burning about half of that. Most of it's overall time will be
spent on scientific station burning just 5 - 10 GPH.

BTW, it's also one of the smallest vessels in the world to have dynamic
positioning. Give it a command and it will stay within a couple meters of a
spot over the bottom and maintain heading. Yesterday, I watched it back
slowly up to a buoy to the position where it could be attached to the
A-frame in a 25 knot wind. This was under completely automatic control while
we just stood and watched. It then stopped at the right point and just sat
there. The autopilot is part of the DPS system which is connected to the
LAN and the satellite Internet so, with the several video cameras on board,
you could literally sit at your computer on land and drive it around with no
one aboard.

Very cool.

--
Roger Long

"Roger Long" wrote:

"Jere Lull" wrote

[...]

Good feeling, isn't it, when it all works right. Congratulations!

Michael Porter Marine Design
mporter at mp-marine dot com
www.mp-marine.com

On 2008-10-10 06:18:49 -0400, "Roger Long" said:

"Jere Lull" wrote

I'm SO glad I don't have to pay those fuel bills.

I see by the address in your signature file that you will be. Don't worry
though. It's not as bad as it looks. Full speed operation is limited to
10% of operation by engine rating and the boat will spend most of it's
cruising time burning about half of that. Most of it's overall time will be
spent on scientific station burning just 5 - 10 GPH.

BTW, it's also one of the smallest vessels in the world to have dynamic
positioning.

Roger, I SO love twisting your tail as you are so justifiably proud of
your babies. That is a sweet ride that I will pay attention to whenever
she's near us.

At maximum burn, we barely break 1 GPH. Our normal burn is closer to a
liter per hour. I can guarantee that the that Clair's one-hour max burn
exceeds our past 5 or so years total burn.

If I could afford the cost, I would love to have as seaworthy a ride, though.

--
Jere Lull