Dread

Default has anyone heard of a PEN YAN TUNNEL

21" 351 omc. who makes it and how does it ride,handle??

Peggie Hall

Dread wrote:
21" 351 omc. who makes it and how does it ride,handle??

Penn Yan boats are exceptionally high quality classics, built in the
finger lakes region of NY. Google didn't turn up a complete history of
the company...this was the most detail I could find:

"For over 81 years Penn Yan has been building boats with Integrity.
Yeah... that's a long time, longer than just about any other boat
company. Over the years, Penn Yan Boats has introduced many
revolutionary ideas that have changed the face of boating.

"Plaston Hulls Of the 20's and 30's
Stern Drive Technology Of the 30's
Triotite Construction Of the 40's
Thermoplastic Composite Of the 50's (The Forerunner of Today's
Fiberglass)
Tunnel Drive Technology Of the 70's"

Google does provie enough bits and pieces of information--catalogs pages
of older models, brokers who specialize in Penn Yan boats, snippets of
discussions about 'em on various boating sites, parts sources etc to
give you a feel for what they are.

Most Penn Yan owners are a "cult" similar to the owners of specific
vintage cars...they restore 'em to original and keep 'em pristine. It's
rare to find one that isn't, and when you do, its value is greatly
reduced. So if you're just looking for something to run around in, I
suggest you pass and focus on finding a good "ordinary" production
boat....'cuz treating a Penn Yan that way would be a shame.

--
Peggie
----------

MIDEMETZ

There are 2 here in Pensacola, Fl. A single ans a twin. Both in disrepair.
The last time I saw them the were both for sale.

Mike
*****************

On Sat, 24 Apr, 11:21am cst, tbagley1 wrote:
21" 351 omc. who makes it and how does it ride,handle??

Years ago I had a 23' cabin model. Built pretty well and worked fine
as a thin water boat and for calm water. The prop was totally
protected inside the tunnel so running aground was mostly a non-event.
But for the boats weight, the tunnel diameter was to small, imo, and
so was the prop, which made it slow out of the hole with extremely
poor fuel efficiency. Also, it was the wettest boat I've ever owned. A
two foot chop could soak every square inch of the cockpit and
passengers. It was well built structurally though and if use were
limited strictly to protected waters, it had lots of advantages.
Rick

Jason

I don't have any personal experience with the Penn Yan tunnel drives but I
do live close to where they were produced in the Fingerlakes of NY and see a
lot of them in the local marinas. I also own small PY outboard runabout.

As far as I know, Penn Yan offered tunnel drives on a number of different
boat models so keep that in mind when considering people's experience with
ride, fuel economy etc. Size hull and motor may have a larger bearing on
performance that the drive type. The company made very nice wooden boats
for years and switched to fiberglass in the 70's. The fiberglass boats tend
to be more utility/fishing design without a lot of frills. The Tunnel
drives do very well in the shallow areas for which they were designed. I've
heard that slow speed handling (maneuvering at the dock) is a little tricky
compared to a stern drive.

Good luck,
Jason
Ithaca, NY

"Dread" wrote in message
om...
21" 351 omc. who makes it and how does it ride,handle??

On 26 Apr, 4:04pm Someone wrote:
heard that slow speed handling (maneuvering at the dock) is a little tricky
compared to a stern drive.

For what it's worth, I don't recall mine handling (slow speed
maneuverability) any differently than a non-tunnel straight inboard.
It's prolly just all in what you're used to.

Rick

G3 Tunnel Boats Craig General 0 July 7th 04 02:44 AM
Has anyone heard of my boat?q Gould 0738 General 2 May 26th 04 12:44 PM
Penn Yan tunnel drive, opinions please Quest0029 General 2 May 14th 04 02:32 AM
Ever heard of a steel version of the Tahiti Ketch? Gil G. Boat Building 20 April 7th 04 04:21 PM