Default Iridium Email Clients - Which One?

Hi Folks,

Firstly I want to say sorry in advance if this has already been
thrashed, but I could not find the answer on the forums.

I want to know what software, email client to be exact, people are
using while at sea with there Iridium Sat Phones.

On our last trip we used ASTMail, but I was not happy with it, we had
real trouble sending mail, and had to connect 3x to send one message.
I see quite a few other options like:

1. XGate by GMN
2. OCENS
3. Sailamail (not Sailmail)
4. UUPlus

I like the look of XGate, and it seems popular, it also sends a text
when a mail arrives, but I would love to hear others opinions on here,
and experiences.

Does anyone ever bother to time there sending when a satellite is just
starting its pass (as opposed to finishing and having the satellite
hand the call off to the next satellite risking a broken connection
mid-email).

Cheers

-Al

On Oct 6, 7:20*pm, wrote:
Hi Folks,

Firstly I want to say sorry in advance if this has already been
thrashed, but I could not find the answer on the forums.

I think it's a good question. I use Airmail with my iridium phone
because I also use it with my HF and it is nice to have the mail all
in the same place. I go through my Sailmail account. I don't know if
you can also use it with winlink. There are instructions for how to
make it all work on the Sailmail site. The only downsides I find with
Sailmail are that there is no kill file and the binaries are limited.
Sometimes it would be nice to grab a bigger GRIB. We're looking at
taking off next week so if there are any better clients out there I'm
all ears!

--Tom.

On Oct 7, 4:16*pm, " wrote:
On Oct 6, 7:20*pm, wrote:

Hi Folks,

Firstly I want to say sorry in advance if this has already been
thrashed, but I could not find the answer on the forums.

I think it's a good question. *I use Airmail with my iridium phone
because I also use it with my HF and it is nice to have the mail all

My rather basic research suggests that Xgate looks really good. Its
got:

1. Sends a Text message to Iridium cellphone when you get mail (so
youdont waste airtime)
2. Has client side filtering
3. Has webmail access for when in port
3. Compression before sending emails (tho most seem to have this)

But I would really love to hear from people using it!!!

-Al

Iridium Rusty[_2_] Cruising 49 August 5th 07 07:28 PM
Iridium Rusty[_2_] Electronics 2 August 2nd 07 07:10 PM
Iridium sat phones Peter Hendra Cruising 2 September 1st 05 12:01 PM
Iridium Ayesha Cruising 4 February 17th 04 10:08 AM