Peter Hendra

Default Iridium sat phones

Has anyone experience of using handsets in the Iridium system?

After exploring Inmarsat C and email via a Pactor III modem as well as
Globalstar sat systems it appears to me that the best, most cost effective
system and best global cover for receiving weather emails and the like at sea is
the Iridium pre-paid system.

I am a project manager for a 3G telco and understand the technology but am
having trouble finding out the practicalities (especially limitations) from
those who have used the system.

Anyone know a vendor of these phones/handsets?

Any advice please?

Peter
NZ Yacht Herodotus
varnish

Peter Hendra wrote:

Has anyone experience of using handsets in the Iridium system?

Anyone know a vendor of these phones/handsets?

Any advice please?

Peter
NZ Yacht Herodotus

I can't help you with a vendor, but I used an Iridium phone (Motorola
9505) for a north Atlantic crossing this year and it worked fine - but
not cheap. I stuck to data calls and sent and received only emails. You
can send free texts up to 160 characters from shore to phone and send
emails directly off the phone's screen, but it's fiddly. I used a laptop
(Mac).

The handsets are not as easy to use as a mobile phone, so don't expect
to lift it out of the box and have full mastery of it - but you sound
like a techie so that should be no problem. Various websites are far
more revealing than the Motorola handbook
Geoff Schultz

I have an Iridium and an SSB with a Pactor. Each has separate uses. The
Iridium is used for voice communications to the US and the SSB/Pactor is
used for e-mail via SailMail as well as gathering weather faxes.

While some people use the Iridium to do all of this, I find it very
expensive to use it for that purpose. Of couse, if you have to get the SSB
and Pactor, I suppose that it comes out much cheaper to just have the
Iridium. I personally like having both as I have this thing about
redundant systems.

I'd look on Ebay for a phone (where I got mine). I purchase my minutes
from Offshore Outfitters, but look on-line as there are many vendors.

-- Geoff

Peter Hendra wrote in
:

Has anyone experience of using handsets in the Iridium system?

After exploring Inmarsat C and email via a Pactor III modem as well as
Globalstar sat systems it appears to me that the best, most cost
effective system and best global cover for receiving weather emails
and the like at sea is the Iridium pre-paid system.

I am a project manager for a 3G telco and understand the technology
but am having trouble finding out the practicalities (especially
limitations) from those who have used the system.

Anyone know a vendor of these phones/handsets?

Any advice please?

Peter
NZ Yacht Herodotus

New Iridium Pre-Paid Plans Geoff Schultz ASA 3 January 5th 05 04:02 AM
Used Iridium Phones Dick Locke Cruising 0 June 26th 04 05:19 PM
Iridium Ayesha Cruising 4 February 17th 04 10:08 AM
FS: Iridium Satellite Phone in London, UK Stephen Denham Marketplace 0 October 14th 03 06:27 PM
Cell Phones on the Chesapeake Bob Schneider Cruising 2 September 12th 03 03:08 PM