Default NOAA Downloadable Raster (BSB) Charts back

NOAA's Raster Charts (BSB) are (finally) available again - the free
downloads are he

http://ocsdata.ncd.noaa.gov/ChartSer...x.jsp?type=BSB

"claus" wrote in
:

NOAA's Raster Charts (BSB) are (finally) available again - the free
downloads are he

http://ocsdata.ncd.noaa.gov/ChartSer...x.jsp?type=BSB

Thank you, Claus! I've sent this message to NOAA to try to get them
interested in providing a more "modern", shall we say, live data server
where charts can be downloaded, even on the fly from cellular tethered
laptops and cellphones to tethered devices such as my Nokia N800 Linux
internet tablet.

"Is there any chance you'll put these raster charts on a server as map
tiles like Google Earth, Virtual Earth, Runway Finder (aeronautical
charts, and a host of others use from live servers I can use with map
tile software such as Maemo Mapper on my Linux internet tablets?
https://maemo.org/downloads/product/.../maemo-mapper/ This free
software, coupled with the WAAS-enabled Bluetooth GPS put my boat dead
in the channel of any of these satellite photo servers, a very valuable
tool in any waterway inland. To have the latest official NOAA charting,
not some vendor's 3-year-old proprietary chart plug, would be simply a
fantastic service to the marine community. The standardized map tiles
are stored on SDHC large memory cards in the device, or downloaded fresh
from the servers via Bluetooth tethering to my cellular phone. Please
investigate the possiblity of providing NOAA chartography on such a
system, the new standard for the online charting industry. Thank you."

If NOAA simply interfaced with Google Earth and Google put it on their
massive server farms, we'd all have live, up-to-date nautical charts
available online on Google Earth as an overlay or through programs like
the FREE Maemo Mapper on my little tablet:

https://maemo.org/downloads/product/.../maemo-mapper/

Maemo Mapper, running off data from the Nokia 12-channel WAAS-corrected
Bluetooth GPS receiver you can hide in your hand, will place its current
position blue dot in the exact parking space your car is parked in at
the mall on any of the many supported satellite map tile servers such as
Google Earth or Virtual Earth. We already have aeronautical charting
from the map tile server at runwayfinder.com for the entire US airspace.

See how it works:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=698iql3B824
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC3uV8cSMhI

claus wrote:

NOAA's Raster Charts (BSB) are (finally) available again - the free
downloads are he

http://ocsdata.ncd.noaa.gov/ChartSer...x.jsp?type=BSB

Somebody is home there, but the lights aren't on.

404 error on the raster scan charts.

--

Richard

(remove the X to email)

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message
claus wrote:

NOAA's Raster Charts (BSB) are (finally) available again - the free
downloads are he

http://ocsdata.ncd.noaa.gov/ChartSer...x.jsp?type=BSB

Somebody is home there, but the lights aren't on.

404 error on the raster scan charts.

Remove index.html and use http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/mcd/Raster/
instead.

This will yield an info page where you can click the download RNC link which
will get you this:
http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/m..._agreement.htm

When you accept the terms you will then be treated to this:
http://ocsdata.ncd.noaa.gov/ChartSer...x.jsp?type=BSB

Then you will get this - a blank gray page unless you install the Java
Runtime enviroment that is linked he
http://java.sun.com/products/archive/index.html

and on it goes. A typical government runaround....

Wilbur Hubbard

anews.com...

claus wrote:

NOAA's Raster Charts (BSB) are (finally) available again - the free
downloads are he

http://ocsdata.ncd.noaa.gov/ChartSer...x.jsp?type=BSB

Somebody is home there, but the lights aren't on.

404 error on the raster scan charts.

Remove index.html and use http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/mcd/Raster/
instead.

This will yield an info page where you can click the download RNC link
which will get you this:
http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/m..._agreement.htm

When you accept the terms you will then be treated to this:
http://ocsdata.ncd.noaa.gov/ChartSer...x.jsp?type=BSB

Then you will get this - a blank gray page unless you install the Java
Runtime enviroment that is linked he
http://java.sun.com/products/archive/index.html

and on it goes. A typical government runaround....

Wilbur Hubbard

I figured out a workaround. Forget the graphic interface, use the text
interface instead.

http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/m..._agreement.htm

Click the agree button at the bottom and it will take you to the next page
where you will see two buttons on the top.

The page is:
http://ocsdata.ncd.noaa.gov/ChartSer...x.jsp?type=BSB but it
only works by clicking the button on the previous page above.

Anyway click the textual interface button to avoid having to install the
java virtual machine for the graphical interface button. From the textual
page interface you can choose which charts you want.

I hope this helps. Somebody please tell NOAA to hire a real webmaster.

Wilbur Hubbard

cavelamb himself wrote in news:VaqdnVoj0ay-
:

claus wrote:

NOAA's Raster Charts (BSB) are (finally) available again - the free
downloads are he

http://ocsdata.ncd.noaa.gov/ChartSer...x.jsp?type=BSB

Somebody is home there, but the lights aren't on.

404 error on the raster scan charts.

I downloaded all the charts from Hatteras to Key West....a pretty good
sized zip file.

Wilbur Hubbard wrote:

Anyway click the textual interface button to avoid having to install
the java virtual machine for the graphical interface button. From the
textual page interface you can choose which charts you want.

In other words, your computer is so severely limited that running the
Java runtime environment is out of the question.

Cheers
Marty

claus wrote:

NOAA's Raster Charts (BSB) are (finally) available again - the free
downloads are he

http://ocsdata.ncd.noaa.gov/ChartSer...x.jsp?type=BSB

Somebody is home there, but the lights aren't on.

404 error on the raster scan charts.

I downloaded all the charts from Hatteras to Key West....a pretty good
sized zip file.

I got them this time.
Matagorda Bay to South Carolina in one package.

Dumb question time?
What are the ENC charts?

--

Richard

(remove the X to email)

About ENC Charts
An ENC chart is a vector based chart format that can be displayed using your
marine navigaion software. NOAA and the Army Corps of Engineers provide
offshore and inland waterway ENC's for all of the United States. Although
charts in the intenational s-57 standard are called ENC, the international
standard for this format is designated s-57.

Dumb question time?
What are the ENC charts?

claus wrote:

About ENC Charts
An ENC chart is a vector based chart format that can be displayed using your
marine navigaion software. NOAA and the Army Corps of Engineers provide
offshore and inland waterway ENC's for all of the United States. Although
charts in the intenational s-57 standard are called ENC, the international
standard for this format is designated s-57.

Dumb question time?
What are the ENC charts?

Where would one find such software?

What does it take to run it?

--

Richard

(remove the X to email)

Raster charts now free Roger Long Cruising 28 December 24th 06 02:25 PM
NOAA raster charts JohnH General 0 February 12th 06 02:44 PM
Free downloads of official NOAA raster charts [email protected] General 0 January 13th 06 04:46 AM
US Water BSB charts now free (NOAA RNCs) John Electronics 0 December 19th 05 03:46 PM
Copying or Scanning NOAA charts. Steve Cruising 6 January 17th 04 04:54 AM