Steve

Default Copying or Scanning NOAA charts.

I have been using a 'user friendly' copy shop in Fife WA for years to
duplicate full sized prints. In the past the process was strictly a large
format copier operation and is set up for public customer DIY access. Cost
varied according to the size of the print and for a print or chart it
usually cost about $4 each..

The other day I went in to copy some of the old Ingrid drawings for a fellow
Ingrid owner.. I was surprised to find that the new machine was just a
scanner and the prints came out on a second machine..

I ask the manager if it was a true scanner and could output the scanned file
to disk.. "Sure, no problem" .tif file and he would provide the disk.. Cost
would be at or less that for the printed paper copies, depending on how many
individual items I ran through the scanner..

At the time I was still thinking in terms of prints, but after I left, I got
to thinking about copying charts that I didn't already have BSB charts of..
If I can find someone to loan me the originals of an area (Central America,
etc), I could scan them to both disk file and have my own paper copy as well
(albeit B/W)..

Now that I am giving up on The Capn and switching to Fugawi I can register
the new chart files with out all the trouble of fitting small chart scans
back into one large chart..

Just a thought and to let you all know that a well equipt copy shop can now
scan a whole chart to a .tif file and print it as well..

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Steve

As far as I know the scanner/printer setup I'm using is a B/W only.. (I
could be wrong and I will take advantage of the color if it has the
ablility.)..

Regarding 'copyrights', NOAA charts and publication are all Public Domain
and may be freely copied, distributed or resold. (that's how all these
outfits get away with selling scanned copies. Accept Maptech, who has an
exclusive license agreement and access to the original chart velum(?).)

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Matt Colie

Steve,

Look up a package called GPS Utility http://www.gpsu.co.uk/. the
license is cheap and it does almost every thing the other packages do.
Unfortunately I have not had all the time I would like to have to learn
what it can do. The demo package is limited but gives you a good idea.
It is intended to be run with scanned charts.
Matt Colie