GSS GSS is offline

Default Hurricane Ike Boat Insurance claims tips?

Does anyone have any tips or experience they could share on how to
deal with insurance adjusters for significant boat insurance claims?
My boat was one of many badly damaged in Hurricane Ike...I'm guessing
$50k+ in damage (boat is worth about a $100k). Flybridge was
crushed,
radar, Loran, radio & gps antennas, flybridge enclosure, T-top, and
outriggers/center rigger all trashed. bow pulpit yanked off too &
Port Engine engine won't start, plus the whole dock box gone and
everything in it.

The damage was extensive & I was really surprised she stayed afloat,
but it doesn't appear the boat would be totaled...my policy is a
declared value policy, for what I paid for the boat as opposed to a
replacement value policy. Please respond to the group & thanks in
advance.

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 18:51:31 -0700 (PDT), GSS
wrote:

The damage was extensive & I was really surprised she stayed afloat,
but it doesn't appear the boat would be totaled...my policy is a
declared value policy, for what I paid for the boat as opposed to a
replacement value policy. Please respond to the group & thanks in
advance.

Get an estimate from a reputable repair yard that does a lot of good
quality insurance work and let them deal with the company. They will
have had a lot of experience with it and will deal with the situation
unemotionally (not that you wouldn't of course, but it is difficult
with your own boat).

On 2008-09-20 21:51:31 -0400, GSS said:

Does anyone have any tips or experience they could share on how to deal
with insurance adjusters for significant boat insurance claims? My boat
was one of many badly damaged in Hurricane Ike...I'm guessing $50k+ in
damage (boat is worth about a $100k). Flybridge was crushed, radar,
Loran, radio & gps antennas, flybridge enclosure, T-top, and
outriggers/center rigger all trashed. bow pulpit yanked off too & Port
Engine engine won't start, plus the whole dock box gone and everything
in it.

The damage was extensive & I was really surprised she stayed afloat,
but it doesn't appear the boat would be totaled...my policy is a
declared value policy, for what I paid for the boat as opposed to a
replacement value policy. Please respond to the group & thanks in
advance.

IF your insurer is honest, you're home free.

We had a relatively larger claim against a BOAT/US insurer (the other
boat's carrier, we had other insurance) and received zero hassle as it
was clearly their fault. We were moored almost on the shore and they
ran over our boat while we were securely moored and away from our boat.

Even when I screwed up and wrapped a dock line around our prop as a
BOAT/US insured boat, they questioned far fewer of the outrageous
charges than I did. Yeah, they were usual and expected charges, but I
felt them still way out of line.

If you trust your company and their adjusters, you have no problem.

If you don't, I really do suggest you work with the local BOAT/US insurers.

If the two are the same, I have to say that your expectations are
unrealistic. The BOAT/US insurers really do know boats and I have heard
no report that they didn't give their insured the strong benefit of the
doubt.

As horrible as it sounds, I agree with Wilbur that you guys had more
than a week to prepare for Ike. In a week, I could be 1000 nm away from
the target area, I could also add a mess of lines to ensure that our
boat would stay exactly where I wished her to be. Last year, a friend
on this list and I even worked out a way to keep the floating docks in
the right place should the surge surpass the pilings.

If you don't prepare, it doesn't matter who your insurer is.

--
Jere Lull

GSS GSS is offline

On Sep 20, 11:26*pm, Jere Lull wrote:
On 2008-09-20 21:51:31 -0400, GSS said:

[...]

Xan's pages:http://web.mac.com/jerelull/iWeb/Xan/
Our BVI trips & tips:http://homepage.mac.com/jerelull/BVI

I don't know who Wilbur and didn't see his post, but I'm guessing it
was criticism for Texas Hurricane boat victims...I doubt it was
sympathy...I'm not seeking either. I just wanted some tips on how to
work with the insurance company...your tip is to trust them & thank
you for the advice. By the way, I paid for insurance, took reasonable
measure to protect the boat, and suffered far less damage than
EVERYONE else in the marina. I suppose I could have pulled the boat
out of the water, but most of the boats that you saw on the highway
came out of the work/storage yards, not marinas. Then again, I could
have moved it to Central Texas, just to be really safe.

On 2008-09-20 21:51:31 -0400, GSS said:

[...]

have moved it to Central Texas, just to be really safe.- Hide quoted text -

Wilbur is the group asshole, he's bitter because the city wants to
crush and dumpster his boat, they thought it was abandoned, and now
know it's just an eyesore.

The asshole spews his **** about running but spent his last hurricane
tied in the mangrove swamps.
It suprised me Jere took his putrid bait. At 7 days out the forecast
for Ike ran from Mexico to the Sabine.
Even 2 days out it was from corpus to the sabine. If you get hit
running in the ICW you will be found several miles inshore in the salt
grass swamps. For anything under 100 ft putting out a spiderweb at the
dock and tending it is the best call.

As far as sympathy from anyone,I have not seen anyone in Texas asking
for one iota of it.

Texas will be back up to full speed soon.

Keep in mind Wilburs whole lifes savings is the little broken boomed
day sailor he and his cat live on. He has no insurance, job, class,
smarts, reason to live. It's hard for him to understand some people
have more than just a boat to care for. Some people have boats,
houses, familys, companies, employees, and many other obligations that
take priority over boats.

Good luck on your insurance claim.

Fred

wrote in message
big snip

: It suprised me Jere took his putrid bait.

And your bait is fresh? Bwahahahhahahahahahah!

Wilbur Hubbard