Default Just a thought ;; there will be some very good bargains ..

You should probably keep in mind that you'll have problems finding dock
space in places like Cabo. You'll probably be ok at La Paz. You might want
to check the last couple of issue of Lat. 38 for info about reserving spots
if that's what you're intending.

wrote in message
On Sep 18, 3:51 pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:
When are you off?

Soon? We're planning on following the ha-ha out of SD. They take
off in the 3rd week of October. So, all else being equal we're
looking at arriving SD thenish and departing when the wx looks ok
(with a fishing license). We've still got a steering issue to get
fixed before we take off from here. So, I guess twoish weeks... Or
something else... It's starting to get cold for us tropical types so
I think that will drive us off before all that long anyway.

-- Tom.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On Sep 18, 7:27*pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:
You should probably keep in mind that you'll have problems finding dock
space in places like Cabo. You'll probably be ok at La Paz. You might want
to check the last couple of issue of Lat. 38 for info about reserving spots
if that's what you're intending. ...

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll check that out. We're so bad at keeping
a schedule that reservations are hard for us. We tend to prefer
anchoring (which I gather is limited there) or moorings to the dock.
Maybe there is more room on the balls than on the docks. Folks I've
talked to about Cabo have such different opinions of the place that
I'm not sure if it would be a bad thing to give it a miss if there's
no room... Thoughts?

Other tips on Mexican cruising are very welcome, too!

Cheers,

-- Tom.

From what I've been told, if at all possible, skip Cabo and head north to La
Paz. Between Cabo and La Paz there are a couple of places, which might be
ok. You should be able to find an anchorage near La Paz, no problem. We
started there. There are several within spitting distance. Further north,
you'll not find it to be a problem. There are some beautiful anchorages
between La Paz and Mulege, especially off the bigger islands. We got Gerry
Cunningham's charts, which were stunningly accurate and detailed. The
"official" charts I don't think have been seriously updated since the late
1800s (yes, you read that right). GPS coordinates are way off in any case.
Gerry has been all over, so if you're going to hang for a while, it would be
worth getting the other packages as well.

I'm happy to stop by and let you look, borough, etc., what I have. I'm
supposed to be in the general area next week.

We got as far as Bahia Agua Verde (about 100 nm from La Paz) before we had
to turn around. That was a beautiful, isolated spot. We didn't anchor there,
because it was crowded - one other boat, so we back-peddled to Bahia San
Marte, which was even more isolated.

I'd also recommend just about any place on Isla San Jose, Isla Partida, or
Isal Espiritu Santo. In fact, if I get a chance to do it over again, I would
stick to those three places - there are plenty of different anchorages.
There's not much on the peninsula between La Paz and Aqua Verde (well, a
couple of places, but none that great for staying unless in a pinch).

I can also scan and post a list of GPS coordinates from Gerry's
documentation. No pictures, but it's better than nothing. I have them for
Cabo, La Paz, Isla San Jose, and Aqua Verde. There are about 90 positions
listed.

wrote in message
On Sep 18, 7:27 pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:
[...]

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 22:42:57 -0400, Gogarty
wrote:

In article ,
says...
On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 16:30:18 -0400, Wayne.B
said:

Have you ever hung out at Larchmont or American YC ? There are a lot
of them sailing dinghys and other one designs for the fun of it.

Not sure those are the kind of boats he was talking about coming on the
market at attractive prices.

I agree with you on that.

Some years ago we were entering Oyster Bay in our ratty Dawson 26
sailboat, just passing the Seawanhaka Yacht Club, when we saw a man in
the water having some difficulty. Seems he took his paddleboard out
beyond where he could manage. Had to have been a Yaleie. Nobody else
could be so supercilious even while drowning. We offered to take him to
shore on our boat. No, would not get on our boat but did accept a line
to be towed. So we towed him. No conversation. When we got close enough
to the yacht club where he could go the rest of the way himself, he cast
off. Didn't want to be seen as a rescuee. Never even said thanks. I have
always had the feeling that he was actually dressed in Ivy League
kahkies in the water. But that must be my faulty memory and imagination.

On the same topic, the NY Times had an article some years ago about a
Wall Street type and his yacht racing. In the article, this guy came
across as a total jerk. It was clear from the article that his only
interest was winning races to impress people, nothing whatever to do
with boating. When he failed to win races despite huge expenditures and
alienating everyone who knew him, his family suddenly decided it would
be better to go to the mountains, or whatever. Sold the boat.

Can't tell you how many snotty over-priviledged youngsters we have towed
ashore, to no thanks.

Maybe it's something about YOU...

On Sep 19, 12:04*am, "Capt. JG" wrote:
From what I've been told, if at all possible, skip Cabo and head north to La
Paz. Between Cabo and La Paz there are a couple of places, which might be
ok. You should be able to find an anchorage near La Paz, no problem. ...

I'm happy to stop by and let you look, borough, etc., what I have. I'm
supposed to be in the general area next week. ...

Thanks for all of that. I think we be getting the Cunningham CD with
waypoints. It annoys me a little that the Mexican gov't has a list of
charts with modern revisions in WGS84 but I can't find a US dealer
for them. It has been my experience in the South Pacific that NIMA
charts are horrible. Often based on 19th century surveys and not
updated since the 70's. Apparently it is the same for Mexico.
However, the French charts are great in the French possessions, NZ
charts at least have up to the week nav aids on them and BA charts are
excellent (but very, very dear). I bet Mexican charts are the best bet
in Mexican waters, too. So why can't we buy them? Ugh.

Anyway, if you are passing though please feel free to drop by anytime.

-- Tom.

Sure thing... not sure which day just yet. Also, I was told that the
Moorings base in La Paz can be quite helpful, even if you aren't a customer.
There's also a pretty good VHF net that's ongoing... I forget the guy who
runs it, but he monitors and helps put people in touch.

wrote in message
On Sep 19, 12:04 am, "Capt. JG" wrote:
From what I've been told, if at all possible, skip Cabo and head north to
La
[...]

"Dave" wrote in message
On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 20:25:00 -0400, Marty said:

Well Dave, since you are our resident expert, could you be so kind as to
precis this bill for us?

In the US, we call something that hasn't yet been passed by Congress and
"bill" and something that has been passed and signed into law a "law."

Much too long and complicated for an even half complete summary. GLB,
which
was passed by the Democrat-controlled Congress and signed by Clinton in
1999, made some significant changes in the ways our financial institutions
may be structured. Among other things it made it somewhat easier for banks
that were well capitalized (or more accurately their holding companies) to
compete in areas outside the traditional financial services area, such as
brokerage and insurance. Generally bank holding companies were allowed to
enter these areas by becoming a "financial holding company" to own both
the
bank and separate corporations conducting these other businesses. However,
it generally left unchanged the kinds of things banks could invest in
directly.

Huh??? The Congress (both houses!) was controlled by Republicans from 1995
until recently. Sounds like revisionist history to me.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
ons...
: "Dave" wrote in message
: ...
: On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 20:25:00 -0400, Marty said:
:
[...]

Revisionist history? Is that like having Google delete all those posts you
made to alt.drugs and then acting like they never existed?

PKB!!!!

--
Gregory Hall

On Sep 19, 11:35*am, Dave wrote:
On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 20:25:00 -0400, Marty said:

Well Dave, since you are our resident expert, could you be so kind as to
precis this bill for us?

Much too long and complicated for an even half complete summary. GLB, which
was passed by the Democrat-controlled Congress and signed by Clinton in
1999...

What Democrat controlled Congress?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/105th_U...tates_Congress.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/106th_Congress
Facts have a well known liberal bias. And, just for fun:
http://www.slate.com/id/2199810/

-- Tom.

But the economy is in great shape! Don't forget that "fact."

wrote in message
On Sep 19, 11:35 am, Dave wrote:
On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 20:25:00 -0400, Marty said:

Well Dave, since you are our resident expert, could you be so kind as to
precis this bill for us?

Much too long and complicated for an even half complete summary. GLB,
which
was passed by the Democrat-controlled Congress and signed by Clinton in
1999...

What Democrat controlled Congress?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/105th_U...tates_Congress.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/106th_Congress
Facts have a well known liberal bias. And, just for fun:
http://www.slate.com/id/2199810/

-- Tom.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

I thought this was a good thread [ statistical analysis of shitting yourself Daedalus ASA 1 February 27th 07 09:51 PM
Just when you thought I ran out of hot air... JimH General 9 June 26th 06 02:11 PM
Just when you thought I ran out of hot air... FloydinTampa General 1 June 26th 06 01:31 PM
Just a thought ed General 7 June 1st 05 02:54 AM
Vector Mfg closeout bargains Larry W4CSC Cruising 12 February 18th 05 01:15 AM