Default Pole-ish joke

Well, not a joke...

We like using our spinnaker pole (we don't have a whisker pole) to
hold our genoa out in dead-downwind or there-abouts situations. We
can rig it so we can furl the genny if needed, by putting the sheet
through the jaw, and of course can also release it readily. We have a
topping lift for the pole and fore and after guys. As we always use
it that way, we're able to "set it and forget it" by markings on the
guys, placing it in the same position each time. The pole rides on a
mast track on the other end.

However, in really rolly stuff, the sail moves around enough that the
sheets also move in the jaw, leading to chafe.

So, a couple of questions...

Given a spin pole rather than a whisker, and the need, perhaps, to
furl the genny quickly (and the jaw not being big enough to attach to
the clew), is there a better way to rig?

Secondly, for those advocating this modus, how do you avoid chafing
the sheets?

Thanks.

--
L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in its
hands. You seek problems because you need their gifts."
(Richard Bach, in The Reluctant Messiah)

If you don't have a whisker pole, but you do have a spinnaker pole, then I'm
assuming that you do have a spinnaker.

If you are sailing "dead-downwind or there-abouts" why not just use your
spinnaker? Problem solved.

"Skip Gundlach" wrote in message
[...]

"You are never given a wish without also being given the power to make it
come true. You may have to work for it however."
[...]

Duh! When making the sheets fast leave a bit of a bight in the knot. Fit the
spinnaker pole clip to the bight in the sheet. Size the bight so it fits
snugly and there will be little or no chafe.

I use a continuous sheet. I secure it to the clew using a figure 8 knot. The
bight I use is the looped end of the figure 8.

I hope this helps.

Wilbur Hubbard.

On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 14:57:57 -0400, "Skip Gundlach"
wrote:

[...]

You are doing it the 'correct' way ( the way RYA examiner's examiners
like it done)

Secondly, for those advocating this modus, how do you avoid chafing
the sheets?

Consider attaching a block, by a short strop, to the end of the pole
or slackenng the guys so that the end of the pole can move enough to
accomodate the stretching of the jib sheet.

It's normal to get some chafing at the pole during long offshore runs.
You could try putting a foot or two of braid over the sheets at the
wear point, changing it out once in a while. This is a common problem
on racing boats doing long runs under spinnaker.

================

On 2008-08-23 14:57:57 -0400, "Skip Gundlach" said:

We like using our spinnaker pole (we don't have a whisker pole) to
hold our genoa out in dead-downwind or there-abouts situations.

Well, my solution is to only do dead-downwind wing-on-wing for short
periods, maybe for a half hour, and no pole.

"Tacking" downwind is faster, more comfortable, requires less attention
and avoids the possibility of accidental gybes, though it demands
periodic gybes to keep to the rhumb line.

If you're married to doing a poled-out wing-on-wing, I might suggest
attaching a sacrificial loop to the clew for the pole's jaws. You won't
eliminate chafe, though the idea of putting some braid over the sheets
might give you some more time before you have to replace the sheets.

--
Jere Lull

"Jere Lull" wrote in message
If you're married to doing a poled-out wing-on-wing, I might suggest
attaching a sacrificial loop to the clew for the pole's jaws. You won't
eliminate chafe, though the idea of putting some braid over the sheets
might give you some more time before you have to replace the sheets.

I am not sure that is a good idea. The end of the pole will push the loop
out beyond the taut jibsheet and this will make it very hard to disconnect
the pole when you need to.

On 2008-08-26 05:33:48 -0400, "Edgar" said:

"Jere Lull" wrote in message
If you're married to doing a poled-out wing-on-wing, I might suggest
attaching a sacrificial loop to the clew for the pole's jaws. You won't
eliminate chafe, though the idea of putting some braid over the sheets
might give you some more time before you have to replace the sheets.

I am not sure that is a good idea. The end of the pole will push the
loop out beyond the taut jibsheet and this will make it very hard to
disconnect the pole when you need to.

True.

I haven't really put much thought into a solution because I don't like
wing-on-wing, but I suspect there's a way to use something other than
the sheets.

--
Jere Lull

Bob Bob is offline

On Aug 23, 10:57*am, "Skip Gundlach" wrote:

Well, not a joke...
Skip
Pig

Skip,

your sorta joke-ish attempt to elevate your sailing abilities at the
expense of Poles is humiliating . Your maritime failures have
disqualifed your racest attemps at gaining credibility by devaluating
others.

Leave the Poles out of your feble attempts at sounding credible.

Bob
Your Superior Officer

On 27 Aug 2008 09:24:03 -0500, Dave wrote:

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 18:38:48 -0700 (PDT), Bob said:

Leave the Poles out of your feble attempts at sounding credible.

Time to get a life, Bob.

Oh, and BTW the words you were looking for were "racist," rather than
"racest," and "devaluing" rather than "devaluating."

English is a second language for you?

Gee, Dave. I wasn't aware that statements end with a question mark,
either. Is English a second language for you?

Geomagnetic pole vs Magnetic Pole Bob Crantz ASA 7 March 15th 06 06:22 PM
Hatchboard Pole Scott Vernon ASA 8 June 24th 04 06:44 AM
The Size of My Pole.... Bobsprit ASA 16 June 21st 04 06:42 PM
FS: Spinnaker pole in Md SAIL LOCO Marketplace 0 April 2nd 04 07:05 AM
FS: 12' Spinnaker pole in Md SAIL LOCO Marketplace 1 October 6th 03 06:17 PM