posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bob Crantz

Default Geomagnetic pole vs Magnetic Pole

What are they?

What's the difference?

Which one is real ?

Extra credit:
Why aren't they the same?

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG

Geo I believe is the true north on the axis. Magnetic is where the compass
points. The latter is moving toward somewhere in Russia. I believe there's a
third also. Care to name it?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Bob Crantz" wrote in message
What are they?

What's the difference?

Which one is real ?

Extra credit:
Why aren't they the same?

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bob Crantz

The third one is true north on the axis of rotation.

Geomagnetic is not true north.

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
Geo I believe is the true north on the axis. Magnetic is where the compass
points. The latter is moving toward somewhere in Russia. I believe there's
a third also. Care to name it?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Bob Crantz" wrote in message
What are they?

What's the difference?

Which one is real ?

Extra credit:
Why aren't they the same?

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG

Heh... well, I was thinking geographic north pole.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

. ..

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
Geo I believe is the true north on the axis. Magnetic is where the
compass points. The latter is moving toward somewhere in Russia. I
believe there's a third also. Care to name it?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Bob Crantz" wrote in message
What are they?

What's the difference?

Which one is real ?

Extra credit:
Why aren't they the same?

posted to alt.sailing.asa
thunder

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 15:12:36 -0800, Capt. JG wrote:

Geo I believe is the true north on the axis. Magnetic is where the compass
points. The latter is moving toward somewhere in Russia. I believe there's
a third also. Care to name it?

There are four. As we speak, there is a guy trying to reach all of them.

http://www.ice-warrior.com/

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG

Kewl... ummm... no pun intended.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"thunder" wrote in message
On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 15:12:36 -0800, Capt. JG wrote:

Geo I believe is the true north on the axis. Magnetic is where the
compass
points. The latter is moving toward somewhere in Russia. I believe
there's
a third also. Care to name it?

There are four. As we speak, there is a guy trying to reach all of them.

http://www.ice-warrior.com/

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Jean Pudl

Bob Crantz wrote:
What are they?

The magnetic pole is where the field lines are vertical. The
geomagnetic pole is the theoretical location of the pole of the
Earth's magnetic dipole.

What's the difference?

A few hundred miles, I think. You can look it up.

Which one is real ?

Only the magnetic pole can be measured with simple instruments. For
example, the Dip is 90 degrees.

Extra credit:
Why aren't they the same?

The Earth isn't perfect.

And for extra extra credit: is the North Magnetic Pole a magnetic
north pole?

JP
posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bob Crantz

"Jean Pudl" wrote in message
Bob Crantz wrote:
What are they?

The magnetic pole is where the field lines are vertical. The geomagnetic
pole is the theoretical location of the pole of the Earth's magnetic
dipole.

What's the difference?

A few hundred miles, I think. You can look it up.

Which one is real ?

Only the magnetic pole can be measured with simple instruments. For
example, the Dip is 90 degrees.

Extra credit:
Why aren't they the same?

The Earth isn't perfect.

And for extra extra credit: is the North Magnetic Pole a magnetic north
pole?

If it was, the south pole of a magnet would point at it. Since the north
pole of a magnet points at it, it is really a south pole.

Extra extra credit:

How are north and south poles determined?

Amen!

JP