Wayne.B

Default Maine boat charters

Does anyone know any good charter operators for sailboats or trawlers
in Maine?
jdmarchand

Some years ago, I chartered from an organization in Rockland. I can't
remember their name, but I don't really recommend it. The boats were old and
the sails stretched out. Next time I would charter with Hinckley in SW
Harbor. They are quite a bit more expensive, but if it is your only
vacation, then make the most of it with a good boat.

If you can get it, radar is well worth it in Maine. On the aformentioned
charter, we were stuck in Frenchboro for 2-1/2 days in fog. If we had radar,
I would have felt comfortable venturing on to the next anchorage. But
without it, no go.

And FWIW, we spent two months in Maine on our own boat a few years ago. It
is a fantastic place. The islands in Merchants Row are some of the prettiest
anchorages in the world. Get a copy of Rinlaub's (sp?) cruising guide and
follow his advice.

David

Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 11:12:26 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

Does anyone know any good charter operators for sailboats or trawlers
in Maine?

I chartered from Hinckley (Southwest Harbor, ME) about 10 years ago
when I managed to damage our boat on the way to Maine. I have nothing
but praise for their handling of everything.

It was pricy, but full service. I would prefer more exciting boats
than they usually handle, but the preparation was exemplary. They
updated the charts, put new propellant cans on board for the horn, and
made sure everything was working at each turnaround.

A friend of mine has chartered from Johansen (SP?) in Camden (with an
office in Rockland as well. He would go with them again. I have no
first hand experience with them.

I assume both have web sites with current listings.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

Capsizing under chute, and having the chute rise and fill without tangling, all while Mark and Sally are still behind you

Michel Benarrosh

Wayne.B wrote in message . ..
Does anyone know any good charter operators for sailboats or trawlers
in Maine?

You might want to try those guys:
http://www.jboatworks.com/

One of the cruising logs on our web site was written by a charterer
who used them, and he seemd pretty happy.

I hope this helps.

Michel Benarrosh

Michel Benarrosh

Wayne.B wrote in message . ..
Does anyone know any good charter operators for sailboats or trawlers
in Maine?

You might want to try those guys:
http://www.jboatworks.com/

One of the cruising logs on our web site was written by a charterer
who used them, and he seemd pretty happy.

I hope this helps.

Michel Benarrosh

Looked today ( Boat Choices) Wendy Cruising 82 February 9th 04 02:57 PM
1st boat help Diverguy General 21 November 12th 03 06:40 PM
TRADE speed/ski boat for SUV or ??? (pictures) SALE - TRADE General 0 October 14th 03 02:36 AM