jdmarchand

Default Maine boat charters

Some years ago, I chartered from an organization in Rockland. I can't
remember their name, but I don't really recommend it. The boats were old and
the sails stretched out. Next time I would charter with Hinckley in SW
Harbor. They are quite a bit more expensive, but if it is your only
vacation, then make the most of it with a good boat.

If you can get it, radar is well worth it in Maine. On the aformentioned
charter, we were stuck in Frenchboro for 2-1/2 days in fog. If we had radar,
I would have felt comfortable venturing on to the next anchorage. But
without it, no go.

And FWIW, we spent two months in Maine on our own boat a few years ago. It
is a fantastic place. The islands in Merchants Row are some of the prettiest
anchorages in the world. Get a copy of Rinlaub's (sp?) cruising guide and
follow his advice.

David