Default Saling in fog

I just moved my boat from Douglas Harbour in Grand Lake New Brunswick to St.
Andrews New Brunswick on Passamaquoddy Bay. The entire trip from St. John
Harbour into Passamaquoddy Bay was entirely in the fog with visibility of
less than 1/4 M. I was alone on the boat and averaged 4.3K over 50 M.
This trip is through a busy industrial harbour with a ferry wharf, through
busy fishing grounds and across a another ferry path and through Letite
Passage with is a trecherous passage where my speed increased to 10K over
ground. I was sailing most of the way with power assist in St John Harbour
and through Latite passage. I was very lucky that I left on a falling tide
and caught the rising tide as I passed "The Wolves" I rode the rising tide
right into St Andrews Harbour. Not a bad day's sailing.

Silver K

"Silver K" wrote in
:

I just moved my boat from Douglas Harbour in Grand Lake New Brunswick
to St. Andrews New Brunswick on Passamaquoddy Bay. The entire trip
from St. John Harbour into Passamaquoddy Bay was entirely in the fog
with visibility of less than 1/4 M. I was alone on the boat and
averaged 4.3K over 50 M. This trip is through a busy industrial
harbour with a ferry wharf, through busy fishing grounds and across a
another ferry path and through Letite Passage with is a trecherous
passage where my speed increased to 10K over ground. I was sailing
most of the way with power assist in St John Harbour and through
Latite passage. I was very lucky that I left on a falling tide and
caught the rising tide as I passed "The Wolves" I rode the rising
tide right into St Andrews Harbour. Not a bad day's sailing.

Silver K

Sounds like a great place to have RADAR....

.....and a big RADAR reflector!

That account really makes me wish I was going to get up your way and make
that trip up the river this fall. Alas, too many commitments with the sea
trials and delivery of the boat being built out in Ontario. Next year, I
should be fairly free. Maybe then.

--
Roger Long

"Roger Long" wrote in message
That account really makes me wish I was going to get up your way and make
that trip up the river this fall. Alas, too many commitments with the sea
trials and delivery of the boat being built out in Ontario. Next year, I
should be fairly free. Maybe then.

--
Roger Long

Over here this one of the marks of an accomplished navigator. One time I

missed the tide and it took me forever to cross the line at the Deer Island
ferry. Did you go directly from the reversing falls to St. Andrew or did
you stop at Dipper?
We are planning to go to St. Andrew and we could benefit from knowing your
time table.

Denis M
RYC

"Denis M" wrote in message

"Roger Long" wrote in message
That account really makes me wish I was going to get up your way and make
that trip up the river this fall. Alas, too many commitments with the
sea trials and delivery of the boat being built out in Ontario. Next
year, I should be fairly free. Maybe then.

--
Roger Long

Over here this one of the marks of an accomplished navigator. One time I

missed the tide and it took me forever to cross the line at the Deer
Island
ferry. Did you go directly from the reversing falls to St. Andrew or did
you stop at Dipper?
We are planning to go to St. Andrew and we could benefit from knowing
your
time table.

Denis M
RYC

Hi
I went through the falls at 8:30 and headed directly to Point Lapreau. I
was lucky and caught about 18K of wind out of the SW. This allowed me to
keep my speed and heading until I made the turn around the point. I was
then on a close reach up to Bliss Island. The tide changed just as I was
passing north of The Wolves and gave me the push into Latite passage. I met
a US boat going out the passge against the tide and presumed he must have a
very large engine as I was doing about 10K going in. Just as he reached the
green bouy at the entrance he stopped dead. I watched him slide sideways
narrowly missing the ferry and he managed to turn and head back in. I guess
he did not read the sailing directions for the passage. BTW, I used my
radar most of the trip but relied mostly on my electronic charts but
recorded my position every half hour.

Silver K

"Silver K" wrote in message

"Denis M" wrote in message

"Roger Long" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the information. Agreed, radar is for collision avoidance. I
like the electronic charts.
This new toy I have (C70) allows to place the radar screen on one side and
the chart on the other.
I am getting use to validate my position by checking the dept on the E'chart
(plotter) with the dept sounder.
I am still apprehensive of doing that but it works. I find it useful when I
enter the Saint Harbour to advise Fundy Traffic.
This way their ID and position you on their screens and alert you of any
traffic.
Not too may people have done Reversing falls to St. Andrew in one day,
With luck I may be able to do it too?

[...]

I have tried the passage in one day before but for various reasons could not
do it. I guess the planets were in alignment on Saturday. You need to have
slack water early enough to allow you time to make the entire trip.

I´m saling in space Rick Stoll General 2 April 30th 04 08:50 AM
saling in croatia Jura General 0 January 27th 04 10:42 AM