Default Interesting bit from local fishing club

A STORY TO LEARN FROM. Thursday friends (no names pls) pulled their boat to
Gardiner's ramp to launch for retrieving their crab pots. They went early
due to the -3.3 tides. All was going great, prepped their zodiac-type boat,
and wife got in for launch as normal. He backed down, put truck in neutral,
pulled on the emergency brake, and stepped out to unhook the boat. As he
took the 3rd step, he heard a POP...the brake snapped. Totally GONE!
Thankfully he wasn't between truck and boat yet. He tried to grab the
opened door to get in but realized he was being pulled to truck's tire. .
He pushed himself off and rolled. His hand was cut but he managed not to be
pinned in the water or under the truck.

SHOCK!! Accidents happen quickly!.

Truck rolled down ramp pushing trailer further into the water and then THE
TRUCK FLOATED thus pushing the trailer even deeper.

His wife was in boat still tied to trailer, and then the truck started
sinking and the boat was being pulled down with it.

Friend is up to his neck in water trying to loosen the strap so the boat can
float freely. He is partially successful and SO although his wife is now wet
all over, boat doesn't sink. She quickly calls 911 on her cell phone and
quickly. 911 operator says it is against their policy to call or recommend
a tow company. My friend tells them this is an emergency, truck is up to
it's mirrors in salt water and she is still attached to it and her cell
phone connection is horrible at best. Call a tow truck! Any of them, don't
recommend them just call them.

Tow truck arrives from Port Hadlock. Nice & helpful guys, but they aren't
going into water to attach tow cables. Friend goes back in & under water to
attach cables. Finally success! Truck & all inside electroniics are toast.
Local resident tows their boat home for them.

FOLLOW-UP:
AAA said they probably wouldn't pay for towing as they weren't called 1st
(oops she called 911...silly lady). AAA also said they don't do "water" but
send them info and they will evaluate claim. Haz Mat upset because they
weren't called immediately. Thankfully when Fire Dept. checked for haz mat
there had been no fuel leak.

So the next day, while their truck sat rusting in driveway (couldn't be
saved) we finished their task and pulled their pots. The good news is they
got some crab------the bad news is it's the most expensive crab they will
every catch.

Later I said "Let's learn from this, what would you do differently." He
would have shut engine off, put it in gear (truck had a clutch) and then
set the emergency brake. Think about it...what do you do with your rig?
The tow truck driver said this type accident is more common than we think.

Gordon

On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 08:43:33 -0700, Gordon wrote:

Later I said "Let's learn from this, what would you do differently." He
would have shut engine off, put it in gear (truck had a clutch) and then
set the emergency brake. Think about it...what do you do with your rig?
The tow truck driver said this type accident is more common than we think.

Gordon

Very informative, thanks.

I never leave my seat without setting the emergency brake and putting the
vehicle in gear (manual) or park (automatic).

Should be automatic.

"Gordon" wrote in message
snip...
Later I said "Let's learn from this, what would you do differently." He
would have shut engine off, put it in gear (truck had a clutch) and then
set the emergency brake. Think about it...what do you do with your rig?
The tow truck driver said this type accident is more common than we
think.

Gordon

Way too easy.
Common sense says to engage park plus emergency brake if an auto
transmission..... or 1st gear & emergency brake if manual (of course motor
is off if trans is manual.)

Up to $4k available to your yacht club, fishing club, or other organization from Boat US Chuck Gould General 0 September 26th 07 05:41 PM
my local weather Tim General 2 January 8th 07 12:52 PM
A visit with an interesting guy who builds an interesting boat.... [email protected] General 8 June 16th 06 04:46 AM
A day at the local Yachting Club Starbucks General 2 August 27th 05 06:09 PM
Local Sea Scouts needs your help Ship Skipper General 7 February 7th 05 10:24 PM