Parallax

Default porta-bote or inflatable?

Well, anybody have knowledge of both for a dinghy?
Dan

"Parallax" wrote in message
om...
Well, anybody have knowledge of both for a dinghy?

This subject usually opens a large debate. Should be fun to see what comes
of it again.

You might want to read some of the older posts on this topic. Rib vs.
Portabote seems to end up being a list of people saying 'i like my RIB' and
'i like my portabote'.

'I like my RIB'

dan

Keith

I like my RBB (Rigid Buoyancy Boat). All fiberglass, acts like an inflatable
but you can't deflate and stow. OTOH, has storage in the seat and tubes,
very fast with a 25HP on a 10' boat. I love mine.
http://www.bossboats.com/default.asp?Page=Yachtsman_10

Second choice would be a RIB, wouldn't have a portabote unless I needed to
keep it folded up and only use it occasionally.

--

Keith
__
"Dan" wrote in message

"Parallax" wrote in message
om...
Well, anybody have knowledge of both for a dinghy?

This subject usually opens a large debate. Should be fun to see what

comes
of it again.

You might want to read some of the older posts on this topic. Rib vs.
Portabote seems to end up being a list of people saying 'i like my RIB'

and
'i like my portabote'.

'I like my RIB'

dan

Parallax

"Dan" wrote in message ...
"Parallax" wrote in message
om...
Well, anybody have knowledge of both for a dinghy?

This subject usually opens a large debate. Should be fun to see what comes
of it again.

You might want to read some of the older posts on this topic. Rib vs.
Portabote seems to end up being a list of people saying 'i like my RIB' and
'i like my portabote'.

'I like my RIB'

dan

I shoulda been more specific. It is for a tender for my 28' S2 so
must be capable of being carried in a small space. I have had an
inflatable kayak and inflating it is a pain. In the past, I have
carried both an 8' hard Nautilus and a Sevylor inflatable kayak (dont
buy one) for my wife and 3 kids.
Steve Christensen

In article , Parallax says...

"Dan" wrote in message
"Parallax" wrote in message
om...
Well, anybody have knowledge of both for a dinghy?

This subject usually opens a large debate. Should be fun to see what comes
of it again.

You might want to read some of the older posts on this topic. Rib vs.
Portabote seems to end up being a list of people saying 'i like my RIB' and
'i like my portabote'.

'I like my RIB'

dan

I shoulda been more specific. It is for a tender for my 28' S2 so
must be capable of being carried in a small space. I have had an
inflatable kayak and inflating it is a pain. In the past, I have
carried both an 8' hard Nautilus and a Sevylor inflatable kayak (dont
buy one) for my wife and 3 kids.

I have a Porta Bote and quite like it. But you need a dinghy for 5, right? So
that would mean a 12 footer if you went with a Porta Bote. And while the hull
itself folds down to the size of a surf board that can be easily stowed along
the rails or along the cabin house - you do still have to find space for the
seats and transom. With a 12 footer that's a transom and 3 seats to stow below.
With a 28 footer as the mother ship you are probably not going to find dedicated
space for all those seats, so they would need to be removed each evening for
everyone to bunk down.

Of course any inflatable that would hold the five of you would also be pretty
big, and certainly in the way not only down below but on deck as well.

All of which helps to explain why most folks just buy a big inflatable or RIB
and tow it behind where ever they go!

Steve Christensen

JAXAshby

Well, anybody have knowledge of both for a dinghy?

I have both, and use the Porta-Bote almost exclusively. It rows easily, it
motors easily, it carries large loads. It also takes upwards of an hour to
assemble from scratch on deck (including getting together the three seats and
transom from down below, the bag of hardware, twisting it up on deck,
assembling, rigging a hardness to attach to the main halyard, putting into
water, mounting the engine, getting fuel can and safety gear)

my inflatable is an Achilles "donut" style, which takes maybe 20 minutes start
to finish including mounting the engine etc, but only holds *max* of two
people, and that is crowd. The damned thing rows likes a submerged garbage
can. Engine required.

btw, most inflatables you see on boats out there look spic and span brand new
in the last two or three years. Most hard dinghies look like they have been
around since Nixon was president. Interesting is that about half of those who
have a hard dinghy also have an inflatable. Not sure which came first, but
they put up with having both, it seems because each did things well the other
didn't.
Parallax

(JAXAshby) wrote in message ...
[...]

I do not intend to carry all 5 of us at a time in the dinghy but
probably myself and my 2 oldest to shore first, then back to get my
wife and youngest. So, it has to carry three ppl.
The Porta-bote really takes an hour? My god, my Nautilus 8 only takes
5 minutes to hoist off h deck with halyard and over the lifelines into
the water. Maybe 10 minutes total to be ready with oars.
Maybe I will continue o live with the Nautilus and inflatable kayak.
Jere Lull

In article ,
(JAXAshby) wrote:

Well, anybody have knowledge of both for a dinghy?

I have both, and use the Porta-Bote almost exclusively. It rows easily, it
motors easily, it carries large loads.

Hey! We actually agree for once! except....

It also takes upwards of an hour to
assemble from scratch on deck (including getting together the three seats and
transom from down below, the bag of hardware, twisting it up on deck,
assembling, rigging a hardness to attach to the main halyard, putting into
water, mounting the engine, getting fuel can and safety gear)

It takes me about 20-30 minutes the first time of the season -- mostly
figuring things out again and working against the stiffness. After that,
it's 10-15 minutes to set up or down.

I guess it would take longer if I were doing it entirely alone -- part
of that would be resting and consuming a refreshing drink -- but my wife
helps hand things out. We have dedicated spaces for all the pieces, so
they're easy to find or stow. The motor's on Xan's transom when I bother
to bring it. Boat rows well enough that we only bring the motor when
we're going some place we haven't explored extensively.

Addressing another of Parallax's messages: For 5 at once, you will want
a large dink for all but the shortest trips. The 12 will definitely work
& be mostly dry; the 10 may. Stowing the seats and transom will be a
hassle. They take up about 5'x2'x1.5' or slightly more space than the
Sevylor. With a little sewing, though, you could make up bags to stow
them on deck.

And DO bring the Sevylor: Gives the kids something to do. A 12v inflator
makes the job a lot easier, though I have to use the foot pump to get
the pressure high enough; a few pounds makes a world of difference.

--
Jere Lull
Xan's Pages:
JAXAshby

The Porta-bote really takes an hour?

all things together in one pile on shore, about 20 minutes.

On my boat ...
JAXAshby

It takes me about 20-30 minutes the first time of the season -- mostly
figuring things out again and working against the stiffness. After that,
it's 10-15 minutes to set up or down

all things in a pile on the shore, yup.

On the deck on my boat with seats, transom down below along with bolting
hardwar, plus engine on the rear pulpit of my boat, plus the gas tank for the
o/b engine, plus safety gear, plus rigging the harness to lift the Porta-Bote
off my boat, plus lowering the bote, plus all else, well the time is a mite
longer than on shore.

Porta Bote: for Dinghy, 8' or 10' ? Courtney Thomas Cruising 6 March 19th 04 10:32 AM
Inflatable amas Parallax Cruising 0 February 17th 04 01:56 AM
Porta Bote too small? Steve General 5 September 20th 03 08:02 AM