Jere Lull

Default porta-bote or inflatable?

In article ,
Steve Christensen wrote:

Someone wrote:

-Padding Cabin Top
-securing boom out of the way

To which silver tongued BinaryBill replied:

Padding what? Securing what?

Well Bill, on my two sailboats, if I didn’t put down padding on the deck or
cabin house I would leave black marks everywhere from the black tubes. You
don’t have to do this, but it helps, and it adds an extra step.

Those black marks can be eliminated. (Those tubes ARE a PITA, but they
do their job.)

Bronze wool the tubes to get the top layer of gunk off, then lay on a
couple of coats of Armor-All or something similar.

----

Oops, snipped too much. We assemble the PortaBote across the bow and
over the lifelines as they dive to the deck. Obviously, I have to slide
the PortaBote around as I move from center seat to transom, but I prefer
that to doing it on our side deck -- the advantage of a flush deck, --
but it's just a little tight.

--
Jere Lull

Rosalie B.

x-no-archive:yes

"Dan" wrote:

"Parallax" wrote in message
. com...
Well, anybody have knowledge of both for a dinghy?

This subject usually opens a large debate. Should be fun to see what comes
of it again.

You might want to read some of the older posts on this topic. Rib vs.
Portabote seems to end up being a list of people saying 'i like my RIB' and
'i like my portabote'.

We have both and I like my portabote. But we tend NOT to use the
dinghy much.

As for storage - we store the folded boat along the lifelines, and the
seats and other stuff in a big Sunbrella bag on the deck under the
staysail boom. We used to store it in a locker and then decided it
didn't have to be warm and dry.

Bob does not like towing a dinghy when underway especially when
sailing.

I don't like our particular inflatable because it has no seats, and
the tubes are not big enough to sit on. The portabote has seats and
is far more comfortable for me. The inflatable is slightly easier to
get into from the water using a fabric ladder that Bob made. Since I
have arthritis in my knees and back, sitting on the floor is not
comfortable and standing is not an option either.

grandma Rosalie

JAXAshby

I assume the pic shows a bote. Not your bote, but a bote. if it were your
bote you would know it weighs more than 49 pounds assembled.

bb, you don't have a Porta-Bote.

http://binarybill.tripod.com/P7280107.JPG

Oh dear, Jaxy! It sure looks like my portaboat, held to the lifelines
with a couple of webbed straps, just like I said it was! So where's
yours?

BB

Rosalie B.

x-no-archive:yes

(JAXAshby) wrote:

It takes me about 20-30 minutes the first time of the season -- mostly
figuring things out again and working against the stiffness. After that,
it's 10-15 minutes to set up or down

all things in a pile on the shore, yup.

On our deck the first time in a season it might take 20 minutes for
the two of us to do it because it's been folded up and resists being
unfolded. I don't think we've ever done it solo - usually the two of
us working together.

We don't pad the deck (never had any problem with black marks but
maybe that's because we got it used and they've all worn off). We
keep all the items needed to put it together in one bag which is also
on the deck so we don't have to go looking for them. The little bits
like bolts etc are in a smaller bag in the big bag.

One of us holds the boat open - the other one puts in the center seat.
That holds the boat open so that the rest of the stuff can be put
together. The rest goes very quickly given that we have all the stuff
there.

After we put it together we launch it using the whisker pole as a
crane. Does not take long to do that as the bridle attachments are
already there.

I don't know exactly how heavy it is, but it is difficult for me and
Bob together to carry it fully rigged for any distance, and I CAN
carry 50 lbs. If it is just the boat without the seats, we can carry
it easily and Bob can pick it up by himself.

The motors for both dinghys are on the aft rail unless we are using
the dinghy. So the time to get and rig the motor will be the same
regardless of which dinghy we are using. We also have a container of
stuff that we need to use the dinghy (lights, PFDs, fire extinguisher
etc).

On the deck on my boat with seats, transom down below along with bolting
hardwar, plus engine on the rear pulpit of my boat, plus the gas tank for the
o/b engine, plus safety gear, plus rigging the harness to lift the Porta-Bote
off my boat, plus lowering the bote, plus all else, well the time is a mite
longer than on shore.

grandma Rosalie

JAXAshby

you know, one of the things I have begun to notice is that everyone who says
they put a bote together and get it in the water in a short time are doing it
with two people, not one.

Also, except for bb, everyone says they have all the
seats/transom/outboard/oarss/pins/pfd's/anchor/safety equipment right at hand.

JAXAshby

you know, one of the things I have begun to notice is that everyone who says
they put a bote together and get it in the water in a short time are doing it
with two people, not one.

Also, except for bb, everyone says they have all the
seats/transom/outboard/oarss/pins/pfd's/anchor/safety equipment right at hand.

Porta Bote: for Dinghy, 8' or 10' ? Courtney Thomas Cruising 6 March 19th 04 10:32 AM
Inflatable amas Parallax Cruising 0 February 17th 04 01:56 AM
Porta Bote too small? Steve General 5 September 20th 03 08:02 AM