Default Watermakers - what's best and cheapest for long term cruising use

Len wrote:

On 19 jun, 11:15, " wrote:
On Jun 19, 3:16*am, Len wrote:

Due to bacterial growth you will have to operate the watermaker every
3-4 days. That's the only disadvantage of such a system (my 2cts worth
experience till now)....

If back-flushed thoroughly with fresh water you can run them much less
frequently than that.

-- Tom.

That sounds interesting to me.
What is your experience?
What do you mean by "less frequently"? every 8 days?
and what by "thoroughly"? 20 minutes? HP-pump on or off?
How long have you been doing this?
Tnx, Len.

HRO sells, as an extra, a fresh water flush unit that has a timer and
runs after each use and every week if the watermaker is not used. Not
cheap, but mine has very rugged commercial-duty components. You'd have
a hard time fitting it into a small boat.

Michael Porter
Michael Porter Marine Design
mporter at mp-marine dot com
www.mp-marine.com

On Jun 21, 2:19*am, Len wrote:
That sounds interesting to me.
What is your experience?
What do you mean by "less frequently"? every 8 days?
and what by "thoroughly"? 20 minutes? HP-pump on or off?
How long have you been doing this?
Tnx, Len.

We've got a Spectra 8 gph 12 volt unit that we installed in 2000.
We've used it quite a lot since then, mostly in the tropical Pacific.
We always back-flush it at the end of each run until the pressure
drops to about 20 psi or so with the HP pump on. It takes a few
minutes. After that we just turn it off. When we are in a marina we
try to flush the unit every couple of weeks, though occasionally we've
left it for longer.

-- Tom.

Roger Long a écrit :
"Boeland" wrote

I am not endorsing this one but you may find in interesting if your water
needs are for drinking.
http://www.waterloginternational.com...kers%20ffp.htm
Boeland

This looks very cool; especially for a boat with a very small engine space
like mine. I wonder if some of the ideas like the simple S.S. filter could
be adapted to inboard units.

--
Roger Long

Prospective customers might want to read the SSCA forum on the company
selling the 'waterlog'.

--
http://francois.lonchamp.free.fr
Un doigt de linguistique ... et un soupçon de voile