Default Trivial question about entagled lines.

Just curious...are the sheaves of your two blocks (per side) parallel to
each other or perpendicular?

If parallel, this may not be causing the problem you are asking about, but
it will load the blocks unevenly and can cause other problems.

And as Roger said, better to have non swiveling blocks here.

For long lines, I either figure 8, or coil with a reverse loop. Anything to
keep the twist out.

wrote in message
This is a trivial question, but it drives me crazy, and maybe somebody
can help me.
For my dinghy/davit system I have 4 triple blocks – two for each side.
All of them are for 3/8 line. Now here is the problem:
Every time when I put the dinghy down and again back the line is
twisted and become entangled. Every time I have to spend time to fix
it – and really drive me crazy.
I use polyester yacht braid.
Thanks in advance
Mada

Bob Bob is offline

On Jun 16, 6:29*am, wrote:
This is a trivial question, but it drives me crazy, and maybe somebody
can help me.
For my dinghy/davit system I have 4 triple blocks – two for each side.
All of them are for 3/8 line. Now here is the problem:
Every time when I put the dinghy down and again back the line is
twisted and become entangled. Every time I have to spend time to fix
it – and really drive me crazy.
I use polyester yacht braid.
Thanks in advance
Mada

Gyn dobry Polski:

To reave a 4 sheve purchase use (two dozen & a bakers dozen)
That is, reave shives 2-4-1-3 in that order.

dobra notes
ZZzzzzzz Bob

On 2008-06-16 11:55:49 -0400, "Roger Long" said:

Don't accept any tendency for the loops to look like they are trying to
go into a figure eight.

Here, we may be approaching "religion"....

I coil my lines with an intentional figure-8, wrap a few wraps, then
take a loop through the top of coil so I can hang it up or throw it
into a locker. Done that way, I (usually) can grab an old 50' halyard
out of the locker and toss it 40' to warp someone into a raft-up. Do
nearly the same when neatening the halyard, except I coil the line
doubled. When I need to drop the sail, I need only toss it down the
deck to uncoil.

--
Jere Lull

I want to thank to all of you for help and a lot of info.
This weekend I will try all Os 8s left or right hand, evrything what
you sugested.
I will let you know what is going to be conlusion.
It is true that my line is very new - right from store, it is also
true that I have swivels, I use O type coils, but is also true that my
line is with color marks and I pay attention to release the line with
all marks on the top continously.
Once again thanks a lot.

Mada

In article , wrote:

If you make alternate
twists in opposite directions (see
http://www.animatedknots.com/coiling/
) then there is no twist built up in the rope while you coil it.

[boggle] That's going to take some practice. I can just see me trying
that and making a complete mess... makes sense though.

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.

Lowrance GPS lines Jeff Electronics 2 August 25th 05 08:17 AM
Dock lines [email protected] General 11 August 15th 05 05:05 AM
Cut brake lines? Joe ASA 1 January 27th 05 02:31 AM
Off Her Lines Bobsprit ASA 2 August 13th 03 09:05 PM