Bobsprit

Default Off Her Lines

http://captneal.homestead.com/files/CTM1.jpg

Look at the above pic and you'll see that the Coronado 27 is well off her lines
due to the weight of the outboard all the way aft. I happen to know she was
designed and built for the balance of an inboard. Off her lines with NO ONE
even in the cockpit...and no bridgedeck!

Seaworthy? I think not!

RB
Simple Simon

Hey, Stupid, boats can be balanced every which way
according to their load of water, provisions etc.

My vessel is perfectly on her lines and the bow is
kept light until I load up the area just aft of the v-berth
with about ten cases of beer for cruising. There is no
beer loaded in the picture you refer to so the bow
is light. Why keep a bunch of beer in the way when
a store is close?

It is better to have more weight aft when daysailing and
impromptu racing. The next time a boat is on a beat
and close-hauled with full crew sitting on the sides note
that the crew sits toward the aft center of the vessel on
the windward side.

Then also note how the bow is often plowing because
of sails pushing the bow down. I notice this kind of
thing but you and most of the other wannabes here don't.
This is one of the many, many reasons I can outsail most
of you with a smaller boat that is supposed to be slow.

It's called brains, my boy, BRAINS!

S.Simon

"Bobsprit" wrote in message ...
http://captneal.homestead.com/files/CTM1.jpg

Look at the above pic and you'll see that the Coronado 27 is well off her lines
due to the weight of the outboard all the way aft. I happen to know she was
designed and built for the balance of an inboard. Off her lines with NO ONE
even in the cockpit...and no bridgedeck!

Seaworthy? I think not!

RB

Dave Skolnick

Simple Simon wrote:
snip
It is better to have more weight aft when daysailing and
impromptu racing. The next time a boat is on a beat
and close-hauled with full crew sitting on the sides note
that the crew sits toward the aft center of the vessel on
the windward side.

Back in the day when I raced (foredeck since I was skinny and strong
sigh those days are gone), the deck meat was on the rail just aft of
amidships because that was where the beam was greatest and therefore the
leverage of their weight greatest.

That said, keeping weight off the bow IS important to wringing speed out
of the boat. Bouyancy forward is generally less--often much less--than
aft, so the increase in draft for additional unit weight forward is
greater than aft. I vaguely remember integrating each section in a body
plan back in school to generate TPI curves for my junior project. Glad I
don't have to do that anymore.

There is a small craft committee of SNAME (Society of Naval Architects
and Marine Engineers) that sponsors technical symposia and publications
that go into great detail on the issues.

regards,

Dave
Webb Institute, 1982 B.S. Naval Architecture & Marine Engineering