Jeff

Default Lowrance GPS lines

I was hoping someone could help me out. I have a 1999 Lowrance Globomap
2000. The unit works fine but the screen has numerous thin vertical lines
or blank lines on the screen. Enough that it makes the unit difficult to
read. Is there a fix for such a problem.
Thank you.
Jeff

Lynn Coffelt

I was hoping someone could help me out. I have a 1999 Lowrance Globomap
2000. The unit works fine but the screen has numerous thin vertical lines
or blank lines on the screen. Enough that it makes the unit difficult to
read. Is there a fix for such a problem.
Thank you.
Jeff

Yes, there is a fix for the problem, but it kind of hairy and fraught
with hazards that make it a sort of last chance repair. Although it is often
simple and results in a complete repair.

Lowrance is normally hard to open up, to begin with. I have no good
advice here, every man for himself!

The LCD screen's elements are energized through some kind of flexible
silicone feeling rubber strips that are laminated with alternating
conducting and nonconducting strips. The conductive parts carry the LCD's
operating voltage from display module's PCB to the rear glass surface of the
LCD itself.
The PCB, rubber strips and the LCD are usually held together in an
assembly not designed to be disassembled, (but they can..... not for the
clumsy). Now, cleaning (very carefully) the exposed ends of the rubber
connector strips, the PCB lands that the strip touches when assembled, and
the mating rear surfaces of the LCD glass itself..... all with a Q-Tip (or
high tech cleaning swab) and some 97% drug store methyl alcohol.

Reassemble, if you haven't broken the fool thing by now, and 93.75%
chance of a good clear screen.

I should say "Don't try this at home!", but it's probably better than
on a pitching and rolling boat.

Old Chief Lynn

Dennis Pogson

Jeff wrote:
I was hoping someone could help me out. I have a 1999 Lowrance
Globomap 2000. The unit works fine but the screen has numerous thin
vertical lines or blank lines on the screen. Enough that it makes
the unit difficult to read. Is there a fix for such a problem.
Thank you.
Jeff

Best fix is to buy a new Garmin.

Color-coded lines, paint? Jim Cate Cruising 14 July 11th 04 08:25 PM
slip or mooring costs Parallax Cruising 42 March 29th 04 05:16 PM
The Real Imposter! Anonymous ASA 2 November 3rd 03 08:56 AM
Scout, Bertie's sock? Bertie the Bunyip ASA 5 September 27th 03 04:38 PM
The Lay of Völund Bertie the Bunyip ASA 0 September 25th 03 02:19 AM