Default Sewing

On 2008-06-06 23:40:40 -0400, RichH said:

Small rips is sails, dodgers, etc. can easily be taken care of by a
small patch on the 'inside' and both 'mating' surfaces applied with
'fast cure' 3M 5200 (sold in small tubes).

Cool idea! I've got sail tape that I've used for chutes and burgees,
but hadn't thought to use 5200 as that sort of glue. We have a tube
aboard for other jobs. It's now got a new purpose, and I'll likely
bring some of an old sail onboard for such patches.

--
Jere Lull

Brian Whatcott wrote:
On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 16:46:05 -0500, Molesworth
wrote:

I noticed a small rip in the dodger, so, rather than give it to a
company to repair, thought 'Hey, I can do that'.

Nothing is as simple as it seems, however.

First, the sewing machine had to be mastered, oiled, prepared.

Then the rudiments of sewing learnt.

The Dodger was an easy repair (straight line stitching), but then I
saw the winch covers are wind/sun worn and needed replacing.

Those are not so easy as they are 'round'!

But I love a challenge, specially one that requires accuracy and an
element of engineering.

Took two days but I now have a matched pair of winch covers.

Now to try sail bags!

--
Molesworth

Don't think we don't realise the abyss of maleness that you had to
negotiate in order to toil at the sewing until it came right. We can
indeed tell the stisfaction, the gratification, the thankfulness when
it's all over, even.....

Brian W

Speak for yourself. I spent fifty years in the sewing business and honestly
don't know what all the fuss is about!

Dennis.

wrote:

[...]

Right now, I am trying to sew a custom shade for my Tolman Skiff. I
have not used the machine since two years ago when I sewed my MiniCup
sails. It is a very heavy duty "Dressmaker" brand with massive steel
cogs. It is an impressive piece of compact machinery but I'd like to
know its age. It kinda looks modern but the original owners
certificate indicates 1931. My wife hates this machine that I got for
nearly nothing at a garage sale 25yrs ago. It is simply too heavy to
be easy to use. It needs to be permanently mounted although it has a
carrying case.

On Jun 7, 6:55*pm, Gordon wrote:
* *On the subject of sewing and sunbrella in particular, how do you cut
the stuff and work with it without the edges unraveling?
* I thought about trying a soldering iron to cut it.
* Gordon

Use a 'felled' seam ... a seam where the cut ends of the fabric are
folded inside the seam

-----------------------------------|
|-------- |
| -------- |
|---------------------------

On Jun 7, 3:55*pm, Gordon wrote:
* *On the subject of sewing and sunbrella in particular, how do you cut
the stuff and work with it without the edges unraveling?
* I thought about trying a soldering iron to cut it.
* Gordon

Pinking shears; if you don't want to invest in a hot knife.

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 10:01:46 -0700 (PDT), Mark
wrote:

On Jun 7, 3:55*pm, Gordon wrote:
* *On the subject of sewing and sunbrella in particular, how do you cut
the stuff and work with it without the edges unraveling?
* I thought about trying a soldering iron to cut it.
* Gordon

Pinking shears; if you don't want to invest in a hot knife.

Go to Radio Shack and buy a pencil soldering iron. They make a hot
knife blade that screws right on. Get some rosin core solder while you
are at it. Get a gun as well if you have the bucks and storage for it.
Consider lead free solder, 95% tin and 5% silver, twice as strong,
melts at 375. Less melted insulation. More flavor, less filling. They
might have some tinned wire big enough to be useful. 14 awg will
handle fifteen amps. They got the heat shrink tubing. You can spend
some bucks, but you need to have it already if the boat breaks
offshore. A small inverter is all you need for the hot knife.

Casady

wrote:

On Jun 7, 3:55 pm, Gordon wrote:
On the subject of sewing and sunbrella in particular, how do you cut
the stuff and work with it without the edges unraveling?
I thought about trying a soldering iron to cut it.
Gordon

Pinking shears; if you don't want to invest in a hot knife.

Go to Radio Shack and buy a pencil soldering iron. They make a hot
knife blade that screws right on. Get some rosin core solder while you
are at it. Get a gun as well if you have the bucks and storage for it.
Consider lead free solder, 95% tin and 5% silver, twice as strong,
melts at 375. Less melted insulation. More flavor, less filling. They
might have some tinned wire big enough to be useful. 14 awg will
handle fifteen amps. They got the heat shrink tubing. You can spend
some bucks, but you need to have it already if the boat breaks
offshore. A small inverter is all you need for the hot knife.

One of the more useful tools I carry is the butane powered Weller
soldering iron/hot knife. Its perfect for small soldering (not enough
BTUs for large cable) and also the hot knife easily cuts and seals any
line or synthetic fabric you might use. And, of course, its cordless,
but you will need to carry a small butane canister for refills. Used on
almost every trip.
http://www.amazon.com/WELLER-PORTASO.../dp/B000WOHSHM

jeff wrote in
:

wrote:

On Jun 7, 3:55 pm, Gordon wrote:
[...]

I have one and it's great, but I don't think that they provide the knife
any more. At least you can't buy a replacement knife blade the last time
that I checked.

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org

New Sewing Machine Peter Hendra Cruising 10 March 16th 07 05:48 PM
Sewing machines again? Glenn Ashmore Cruising 21 August 13th 06 04:52 PM
Sewing machines CptDondo General 2 July 30th 06 09:32 PM
Sewing Machines Don Dando Boat Building 0 March 25th 06 03:49 PM
WTB: Used sailrite sewing machine Hank Cruising 0 August 27th 04 02:55 PM