Default New Sewing Machine

This may be of interest to those who need to mechanically stitch
things.

Bought a new sewing machine today in Port Of Spain, Trinidad to
replace my great Japanese Janome that rusted solid inside after being
undiscoveredly dosed with salt water (I should say "our" but I bought
it with "MY money" and attended a dress making course in an endeavour
to learn something completely new - my owner learned as a school girl
in N.Z.).

A few Singer shops around, so took some sunbrella and got one shop to
try to sew 4 layers. Machine stalled and balked at the mere suggestion
with a #16 needle - and they told me initially that it could sew
jeans. It did manage to recover from the shock and struggle valiantly
through two layers by it being offering encouraging words such as
"You can do it etc".

Apparently the Singer company has divested itself of its sewing
machine division and someone bought the name. The machines themselves
are not the rugged four wheel drive go anywhere, last forever tools of
the past.

Found another shop that sold a Canadian manufactured (possibly in
Sina) "White" - never heard of it - as well as the Japanese "Brother"
- well known as a good machine at least in the antipodes.

The proprietor explained that though the latter would indeed do the
joib, the Canadian machine was superior in that it had all metal gears
and other moving parts. It just laughed at 4 layers and munched
merrily through 6. I fell in love at that moment. When you are reduced
to spending hours stitching lee cloths etc because you are far from a
sailmaker, a good sewing machine beats a woman (or whatever your
preference is in these enlightened days), anytime.

Besides, as that noted Englishman Oscar Wilde, said:

Bigamy is one wife too many.
Monogamy is the same thing.

It has everything I want and more including an instant reverse lever
to run back over the stiching to lock it. Even has a handy overlock
type stitch to stop cloth fraying at the cut edges.

Cost after Poor People's discount (I find that they always give me
something if I can make them laugh) - $TT 1,600 or US$ 254

And in my ignorance I had thought that Canadians sewed up their seal
skin clothing with bone needles and gut after chewing the hides to
soften them. If it can sew seal skin, it can sew anything I suppose.

cheers
Peter

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 03:03:26 GMT, "Islander"
wrote:

Besides, as that noted Englishman Oscar Wilde, said:

Irishman, actually.

More precisely, Anglo-Irish which was not quite the same thing as
being Irish in those days.

On 14 Mar 2007 20:06:01 -0500, Dave wrote:

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 19:51:43 +1100, Peter Hendra
said:

Besides, as that noted Englishman Oscar Wilde, said:

Bigamy is one wife too many.
Monogamy is the same thing.

Well, what can you expect from a queer.

I understand that O'Doyle Carte Opera Company sent him on a tour of the US
just before opening Patience in the US, so that the audience would know what
Gilbert was lampooning.

What has his sexuality got to do with it? I like him for his
brilliant wit and his writing such as The Picture of Dorian Gray, and
his children's stories - eg The Happy Prince.

If one filtered one's literary, artistic and musical likes according
to the sexuality of the person producing them, there would be a lot
less to entertain one's self with.

Perhaps we shouldn't teach school children about Aleaxander the Great?
"Kids. Tear those pages about Alexander from your history books - he's
a queer!!!"

Heard of Walt Whitman?

A bit like banning Sir Walter Scott's "Ivanhoe" on account of there
being too much Saxon violence (has to be spoken sorry).

No, I'm not gay nor even a closet queen.
Peter

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 18:50:29 -0800, Gordon wrote:

Two meter troll wrote:

And in my ignorance I had thought that Canadians sewed up their seal
skin clothing with bone needles and gut after chewing the hides to
soften them. If it can sew seal skin, it can sew anything I suppose.

cheers
Peter

huskivarna is the way to go; of course you go broke buying one but
they are damn good machines.

What is the model of the White? I'm going to be needing one soon.
Thanks
Gordon

Gordon,
The model number is 2200.

Remember, this is Trinidad. There are probably other models more
suited to boating needs than this. It was the only one in the shop and
I did not want to go through the hassle of importing one from
elsewhere. I spent a whole day getting an inflatable, wind generator
etc through Customs even though it was marked "Yacht in Transit". He
tried to charge me duty on the dahon bikes as "they are not part of a
yacht" and "why should you ride on our roads without paying tax?". I
got so annoyed I plonked my sandal on his desk and informed him that I
walked on his roads with these and hadn't paid any tax on them.

I have just restitched the sunbrella cover to my furling genoa as a
trial. Works a charm. I had to call in to the Cape Verdes and restitch
5 metres by hand as the threads had perished. I'll get the rest done
by a sailmaker as it is too cumbersome on the saloon table.

cheers
Peter

On Mar 15, 1:50 pm, Gordon wrote:
Two meter troll wrote:
[...]

Check out this WHITE on Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/WHITE-INDUSTRIAL...cmdZ ViewItem

I bought an old Pfaff 332 but havn't had an opportinity to really test
it yet. I hope it works as well as the one advertised here!
Cheers, Jim

dt dt is offline

wrote:

On Mar 15, 1:50 pm, Gordon wrote:

Two meter troll wrote:

[...]

Rather amusing that the seller mentions "when they were making sewing
machines in Japan" while the nameplate clearly states "Made in Taiwan".
;-) http://i4.ebayimg.com/06/i/000/91/a3/aa98_1_sbl.JPG

DT

On Mar 14, 4:51 am, Peter Hendra wrote:
[...]

Went through the same exercise. Buy an old Singer (15-91 or 201) on
eBay. You'll get a great machine at a great price, and size 18
needles are no problem. I purchased mine locally for $50 including
cabinet, then sprung for $75 for a local retired techician to get it
up to speed. Some of the old 15 series were even intended for
shipboard use with hand or foot pedal propulsion.

Steve Hayes

Book, Plans, Design, needed ... just bought a sewing machine NE Sailboat Cruising 8 January 24th 07 06:49 PM
Sewing Machine ,, Sailing,,, Repair ,, cloth,, etc question Thomas Wentworth Cruising 18 March 29th 06 02:56 PM
How to make sails ? Ottar General 7 January 24th 05 10:45 AM
tyvek (long) William R. Watt Boat Building 2 June 30th 04 05:09 AM
Good sewing machine for canvas work, examples? Results? MLapla4120 Cruising 44 April 6th 04 06:02 AM