posted to alt.sailing

Default Sewing machines

What do people use for occasional sewing? I've been eyeing the used
industrial sewing machine market, but I know little about that type of
sewing machine.

Could someone offer some advice? Ebay has some no-name Taiwanese
machines but I'd rather have a used 'real machine'....

I have a bimini top I need to repair, as well as some other things. I
figure if I can pick up a used machine for $200-$300 or so I will just
about break even on the bimini top....

So... Any suggestions on what to get and where to get it?

Thanks,

--Yan
posted to alt.sailing

"CptDondo" wrote in message
What do people use for occasional sewing? I've been eyeing the used
industrial sewing machine market, but I know little about that type of
sewing machine.

Could someone offer some advice? Ebay has some no-name Taiwanese machines
but I'd rather have a used 'real machine'....

I have a bimini top I need to repair, as well as some other things. I
figure if I can pick up a used machine for $200-$300 or so I will just
about break even on the bimini top....

So... Any suggestions on what to get and where to get it?

Thanks,

--Yan

I would look here first:

http://www.sailrite.com/

John Cairns

posted to alt.sailing

My mother gave me an old Phaff machine manufactured in the 1950's, have used
it to make two main sail covers, a bimini, a dodger and covers for the
winches and grill, still going strong, I did get it tuned up and a new motor
for it before I started using it. I have seen some of these on EBay and I
even saw one at the local Goodwill ASIS store priced very inexpensively. Do
not use any of the cheap singer or Wards machines as they will not hold up,
I ruined my wife's Wards machine sewing new cushions for my old 26 ft sail
boat
Jim