Default Sewing machines again?

SWMBO will not let me close to her sewing machine so I am pretty ignorant on
the subject. I need a machine for making cockpit cushions, canvas items
around the boat and minor sail repairs. I know I need zigzag, enough power
to make it through 5 or 6 layers of Sunbrella and maybe a walking foot but
that's about it. Looked at the Sailrite zigzag machines but they start at
$600.

Packed up some Sunbrella scraps and stopped by the Singer store today and
pleaded ignorance. Asked about used machines but they didn't have any that
would do what I wanted but showed me a new CG-550. It is an all metal
"commercial" model which means they sell them to schools and dry cleaners.
It is not glamorous or fancy but it is pretty heavily made. The lady put in
a #18 needle (what ever that is) loaded it with #92 thread and let me run 8
layers of Sunbrella through it. Worked great. I could even get it slow
enough for a first timer to keep up with it pretty accurately. It also does
2 point and 4 point zigzag. (See I did learn something!)

I know this thing doesn't have that big honkin' power wheel like the $800
Sailrite but it did what it was supposed to do, has a 25 year warranty and
only costs $250 plus another $30 for a walking foot . Am I missing
something?

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Jim Jim is offline

Glenn Ashmore wrote:
[...]

There was a time that I would have said, "A sewing machine is a sewing
machine."

At one time I borrowed a Sailrite for a cover project. It wouldn't work
because the timing was out. I timed it and it worked fine.

A couple of years later I decided to buy my own machine. The Sailrite
was heavy and expensive, so I bought a good quality home type machine.
It worked fine for quite a while.

One day while sewing leather to five layers of sunbrella, the machine
locked up. I tried to time it, but failed because a part was bent,
there was no adjustment that would cover it. Cost $80 for the service.
I was told that it wasn't possible for a customer to time it.

Maybe the machine you saw was a good choice, but if I had to do it over,
I would buy a used Sailrite on eBay.

Glenn Ashmore wrote:

SWMBO will not let me close to her sewing machine so I am pretty
ignorant on the subject. I need a machine for making cockpit
cushions, canvas items around the boat and minor sail repairs. I know
I need zigzag, enough power to make it through 5 or 6 layers of
Sunbrella and maybe a walking foot but that's about it. Looked at the
Sailrite zigzag machines but they start at $600.

snip

Talk to people in the "rag trade".

You want an older industrial type machine.

There are only about 3-4 that qualify.

Lew

I got some of the special needles from Sailrite to use in my home
machine. Seems that their point is different for some reason... you
might want to check into that and get some of them for your machine.
What's the name brand and model, by the way?

Check out Harbor Freight. They have a Yamata lock stitch industrial machine,
driven by a half HP motor. All up including table for about $600. It appears
to be the same machine as Sailrite's top of the line at three times the price.

The problem is that around here the "rag trade" moved to China and took
their machines with them. The closest true industrial zigzags I have found
are in North Carolina and they are asking $800+. Also they are not very
portable. The "industrial" machines on eBay are a joke.

Talking to the few sewing machine shops around here and the alterations lady
at my dry cleaners they all say that a "commercial" machine will be my best
bet. Commercial models don't have a all the fancy stitches but they are
much more heavily built than the biggest home machine and have more powerful
motors. The CG-550 is labeled 1.8 amps and the biggest home machine in the
shop was only 1.3 amps. The sailrite is 1.5 amps.

I will keep looking but for $250 this thing looks mighty attractive.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
nk.net...
Glenn Ashmore wrote:

SWMBO will not let me close to her sewing machine so I am pretty
ignorant on the subject. I need a machine for making cockpit
cushions, canvas items around the boat and minor sail repairs. I know
I need zigzag, enough power to make it through 5 or 6 layers of
Sunbrella and maybe a walking foot but that's about it. Looked at the
Sailrite zigzag machines but they start at $600.

snip

Talk to people in the "rag trade".

You want an older industrial type machine.

There are only about 3-4 that qualify.

Lew

Glenn,

Take a look at this:

http://www.reliablecorporation.com/p...ls/2000u%5F33/

We bought one of these off ebay for $400, and have had no problems with
it (had to time it when I got it, but no big deal). Will go through
half a dozen layers of Sunbrella without too much trouble. If you
compare the machine side by side with Sailrite, you'll see they're
identical, and are likely oem'd by the same manufacturer.

Keith Hughes

Glenn Ashmore wrote:
The problem is that around here the "rag trade" moved to China and took
their machines with them. The closest true industrial zigzags I have found
are in North Carolina and they are asking $800+. Also they are not very
portable. The "industrial" machines on eBay are a joke.

Talking to the few sewing machine shops around here and the alterations lady
at my dry cleaners they all say that a "commercial" machine will be my best
bet. Commercial models don't have a all the fancy stitches but they are
much more heavily built than the biggest home machine and have more powerful
motors. The CG-550 is labeled 1.8 amps and the biggest home machine in the
shop was only 1.3 amps. The sailrite is 1.5 amps.

I will keep looking but for $250 this thing looks mighty attractive.

I think the Sailright machines are OEMed 'Thompson Walking Foot'
machines. You can find them new for $6-800 (depending on if you want
zig-zag or not), and they do show up on e-bay at times for less...

What in the world are you guys making that requires sewing through six
layers of Sunbrella??? I think the max I've ever done was three.