Glenn Ashmore Glenn Ashmore is offline

Default Sewing machines again?

The problem is that around here the "rag trade" moved to China and took
their machines with them. The closest true industrial zigzags I have found
are in North Carolina and they are asking $800+. Also they are not very
portable. The "industrial" machines on eBay are a joke.

Talking to the few sewing machine shops around here and the alterations lady
at my dry cleaners they all say that a "commercial" machine will be my best
bet. Commercial models don't have a all the fancy stitches but they are
much more heavily built than the biggest home machine and have more powerful
motors. The CG-550 is labeled 1.8 amps and the biggest home machine in the
shop was only 1.3 amps. The sailrite is 1.5 amps.

I will keep looking but for $250 this thing looks mighty attractive.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
nk.net...
Glenn Ashmore wrote:

SWMBO will not let me close to her sewing machine so I am pretty
ignorant on the subject. I need a machine for making cockpit
cushions, canvas items around the boat and minor sail repairs. I know
I need zigzag, enough power to make it through 5 or 6 layers of
Sunbrella and maybe a walking foot but that's about it. Looked at the
Sailrite zigzag machines but they start at $600.

snip

Talk to people in the "rag trade".

You want an older industrial type machine.

There are only about 3-4 that qualify.

Lew