Armond Perretta

Default Gulf Stream Myths and Worse

anchorlt wrote:

I have long wondered why some people appear to fear the Gulf Stream ...
I have crossed the Stream, from north of Ft. Lauderdale, to the
Banks south of St. Isaacs Light on the way to Abacos and south, to
Exumas, Long Islaand and even further south, and north, to extreme
NE Bahamas, more than 30 times, all without incident or concern.
If you have a reasonably well founded boat with good navigation gear
and good charts, wait for weather window and then "Go," keeping a
sharp lookout for other boats and ships ...

Sometimes it happens that when you actually _get_ to the Stream, the
"window" is closed. Leaving from Florida in one thing. Leaving from
elsewhere on the East Coast or from the Maritimes, places that are more than
a mere 25 or 50 miles from the West Wall, is often something else again.

I have been in harbor in Bermuda and encountered "well found" boats who lost
their rig, lost gear, and, worst of all, lost people in the Stream. I
suspect your crossings have given you a perspective that applies well to the
locations and situations which you have directly experienced, but not so
well to the Gulf Stream in general.

Be careful about encouraging foolhardiness.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat

Don White

Armond Perretta wrote in message
Sometimes it happens that when you actually _get_ to the Stream, the
"window" is closed. Leaving from Florida in one thing. Leaving from
elsewhere on the East Coast or from the Maritimes, places that are more

than
a mere 25 or 50 miles from the West Wall, is often something else again.

I have been in harbor in Bermuda and encountered "well found" boats who

lost
their rig, lost gear, and, worst of all, lost people in the Stream. I
suspect your crossings have given you a perspective that applies well to

the
locations and situations which you have directly experienced, but not so
well to the Gulf Stream in general.

Be careful about encouraging foolhardiness.

Good advice.
I have a friend who worked for local charter companies here in Halifax and
would sail down to the Virgin Islands in October
to make money over the winter.
They tried to pick a good window, but since it takes close to 7 days from
here to Bermuda, things change.
He has told me stories of losing rigging/spars/sails ...and this would be on
large wooden sailing vessels 100' long.

JAXAshby

anecdote:

young coastie in pub says he made just two roundings of Cape Hatteras and into
the Gulf Stream, both times on an 87 foot Coast Guard cutter. first time he
said it was a piece of cake, and he wondered what all the fuss was about. The
second time was a mite rougher and he said he hoped to never again be in such
rough conditions.

Be careful about encouraging foolhardiness.

BinaryBillThesailor@Sea++.com BinaryBillThesailor

anecdote:

Old sailor was nearing Cape Hatteras with 5 GPS units, a sextant, 3
charts, and a Texaco road map, could not find the bouy and decided to
turn back for fear of hitting imaginary rocks.

The only rocks near CH were in his head.

BB
anchorlt

anchorlt wrote:

[...]

Foolhardiness? Please read my entry again.

Armond Perretta

anchorlt wrote:
"Armond Perretta" wrote...
anchorlt wrote:

[...]

Please read _my_ post again. I did not limit my discussion to jumping over
to Bimini, since you did not do so with title and tenor of your original
post. While you discussed only having crossed the Florida Straights, your
subject heading "Gulf Stream Myths" as originally posted makes no effort to
limit your analysis to this specific region of ocean. For these reason it
seemed appropriate submit the qualifications I did, based on my own
experiences with this section of ocean.

Florida may own the US Supreme Court and the Electoral College, but the Gulf
Stream is still pretty much in the public domain.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat
http://kerrydeare.home.comcast.net/

Glenn Ashmore

Armond Perretta wrote:

Sometimes it happens that when you actually _get_ to the Stream, the
"window" is closed. Leaving from Florida in one thing. Leaving from
elsewhere on the East Coast or from the Maritimes, places that are more than
a mere 25 or 50 miles from the West Wall, is often something else again.

I have been in harbor in Bermuda and encountered "well found" boats who lost
their rig, lost gear, and, worst of all, lost people in the Stream. I
suspect your crossings have given you a perspective that applies well to the
locations and situations which you have directly experienced, but not so
well to the Gulf Stream in general.

Be careful about encouraging foolhardiness.

It can change very quickly. A client invited me on an overnight
billfish run on his 50 somthing' sportfisher out of Maneto, NC. The
first day the wind was SE and it was great. Perfect Paul said that
during the night a low would move across a bit north of us. The wind
shifted NE about midnight. By 3AM I was bouncing off the cabin top.

There is something about the motion of a sportfisher in heavy seas that
just scares the hell out of a sailor.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com