anchorlt

Default Gulf Stream Myths and Worse

"Armond Perretta" wrote in message ...
anchorlt wrote:

I have long wondered why some people appear to fear the Gulf Stream ...
I have crossed the Stream, from north of Ft. Lauderdale, to the
Banks south of St. Isaacs Light on the way to Abacos and south, to
Exumas, Long Islaand and even further south, and north, to extreme
NE Bahamas, more than 30 times, all without incident or concern.
If you have a reasonably well founded boat with good navigation gear
and good charts, wait for weather window and then "Go," keeping a
sharp lookout for other boats and ships ...

Sometimes it happens that when you actually _get_ to the Stream, the
"window" is closed. Leaving from Florida in one thing. Leaving from
elsewhere on the East Coast or from the Maritimes, places that are more than
a mere 25 or 50 miles from the West Wall, is often something else again.

I have been in harbor in Bermuda and encountered "well found" boats who lost
their rig, lost gear, and, worst of all, lost people in the Stream. I
suspect your crossings have given you a perspective that applies well to the
locations and situations which you have directly experienced, but not so
well to the Gulf Stream in general.

Be careful about encouraging foolhardiness.

Foolhardiness? Please read my entry again.