Shen44

Default Gulf Stream Myths and Worse

Subject: Gulf Stream Myths and Worse
From: (JAXAshby)
Date: 03/20/2004 17:12 Pacific Standard Time
Sherwin, you might just wanna take a look at a temp chart of the waters
between
Florida and Newfoundland to see just how much of a well-defined "river" the
Gulf Stream is. On the average, it "gets there", but there is not much
"average" about it.

There are areas of the "Gulf Stream", and then there are areas of the Gulf
stream.
Since it's been awhile since I've seen charts and pilot charts of the East
Coast, things may have changed.
However, when I first started running with and against the stream, the charts
at that time showed a course which approximated the main axis of the stream,
generally to some point NE of Hatteras.
At that time, it was a given that the "stream" moved inshore at some points of
the year, and offshore at others (can't remember which and only remember that
it was a winter summer thingy).
Having said all this, we noticed the strongest current when running the Fla.
coast, which diminished slightly when north of the Bahamas, and diminished
again, North of Hatteras (where it tended to spread out).
Most of the information used as a basis for this information, was based on
experience from those who had gone before.
Surprisingly, once we started getting more modern up to date info on the main
axis of the stream, and tried to follow it, it was frequently surprising how
often we found ourselves out of the stream in areas that with the old methods,
we would be in the "stream", and if heading South, vice versa.
For those who are racing, I would definitely suggest paying close attention to
daily predictions, but for those cruising, I'd say watch the "old" main axis
you can find on various charts and if possible, compare and make a "big
picture" use of the more up to date predictions ..... i.e. don't ignore the
old, whether you are just trying to use it, avoid it, or cross it.

Shen
JAXAshby

shen says, "Don't believe it if you want to know where the Gulf Stream is", but
"don't believe it is you need to know where the Gulf Stream is".

anyone know what the heck shen is trying to say _really_ say?

[...]

JAXAshby

shen, you were told to never post here in English. Use ONLY your native
language. English is beyond you. what you _tried_ to post below has been said
repeatedly by me going back three years on this very subject. **NO** English,
schlackoff. No English.

OK, just for you, Jax .... Don't rely exclusively on the predictions you get
from various sites regarding eddies and various minor changes in direction.
Know the "basic axis" of the stream, where possible get updates on this. If
possible, get information on the "walls" of the stream (older sources used to
give this distance from the main axis).
When route planning, never lose sight of the "basic axis" and use those
updating predictions for eddies, etc. to fine tune your courses when possible
(noting the varying nature of the eddies, etc.) while maintaining contact or
distance from the "basic axis" of the stream.

Hmmm, probably still beyond you since it involves some basic navigation.

Shen

shen says, "Don't believe it if you want to know where the Gulf Stream is",
but
"don't believe it is you need to know where the Gulf Stream is".

anyone know what the heck shen is trying to say _really_ say?

Shen44

From: (JAXAshby)

I see, jaxass is quickly approaching "return to the funny farm" time. He can't
even remember who he's talking to over the short length of his post (twice
you've done this in the last week, jaxass).

Jax, the only thing you've done in regards to the Gulf Stream, is post some
links and tell us all how you could never find it in your rare crewing jobs
when rounding Hatteras.
You've never mentioned the "main axis", "West wall" or any basic precepts about
crossing, following, or avoiding the stream except to give your famous "URL"
and say "hey .... here it is".
It has become a given, that you have little if any basic navigation skills and
even less experience, yet for some stupid reason, you believe that since you
can point out some url's and have visited a bunch of boat shows and read some
books, that you are an expert on any and every subject.
Jax, you've visited the Gulf Stream at one spot ... Hatteras .... and you
couldn't find it ..... nuff said about your assumed knowledge and skills.
As for English, I'd suggest some basic course for you, since it took two post
for you to have a clue as to what I might be saying* and I'm sure from soo many
of your previous post you still don't know what I was saying or how to make use
of it.
G I had an engineer like you, once. He could spout technical data all day
long ..... never could teach him to tie his shoe laces or hold a hammer at the
correct end.

Shen

shen, you were told to never post here in English. Use ONLY your native
language. English is beyond you. what you _tried_ to post below has been
said
repeatedly by me going back three years on this very subject. **NO**
English,
schlackoff. No English.

rhys

Stay with the tour, J, and try not to repeat your twitticisms more
than once per insult thread.

You're turning into a cautionary tale about using aluminum cookware in
a salt water environment. Either that or those Speedos you fancy are
cutting off the blood to your head, meaning you grasp even less about
the bloodstream than the Gulf Stream.

English enough for ya?

R.

On 22 Mar 2004 03:36:35 GMT, (JAXAshby) wrote:

schlackoff, NO English posts from you. Use your native language ONLY. English
is beyond you.

shen, you were told to never post here in English. Use ONLY your native
language. English is beyond you. what you _tried_ to post below has been
said
repeatedly by me going back three years on this very subject. **NO**
English,
schlackoff. No English.

JAXAshby

From: rhys