Don White

Default Gulf Stream Myths and Worse

Armond Perretta wrote in message
Sometimes it happens that when you actually _get_ to the Stream, the
"window" is closed. Leaving from Florida in one thing. Leaving from
elsewhere on the East Coast or from the Maritimes, places that are more

than
a mere 25 or 50 miles from the West Wall, is often something else again.

I have been in harbor in Bermuda and encountered "well found" boats who

lost
their rig, lost gear, and, worst of all, lost people in the Stream. I
suspect your crossings have given you a perspective that applies well to

the
locations and situations which you have directly experienced, but not so
well to the Gulf Stream in general.

Be careful about encouraging foolhardiness.

Good advice.
I have a friend who worked for local charter companies here in Halifax and
would sail down to the Virgin Islands in October
to make money over the winter.
They tried to pick a good window, but since it takes close to 7 days from
here to Bermuda, things change.
He has told me stories of losing rigging/spars/sails ...and this would be on
large wooden sailing vessels 100' long.