Default House Committee Passes Clean Boating Act of 2008

"Dave" wrote in message
On Fri, 23 May 2008 11:49:41 -0700, "Capt. JG"
said:

Your claim
that enviros and bureaucrats are teaming up against boaters was a bit
far-fetched

So I take it you don't think the enviros would line up in favor of
requiring
permits for all discharges by recreational boaters? And you don't think
that
if there were such a requirement the bureaucrats would ask for more people
and money to process the applications?

Which "enviros" are you talking about?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Dave" wrote in message
On 22 May 2008 16:28:02 -0500, Dave said:

I haven't read the case referred to in the article. But if the summary is
accurate and the case related only to ballast water from commercial
vessels,
then this whole thing is a tempest in a teapot. Anything the court said
relating to recreational vessels would be what lawyers call
"dicta"--language having no value whatever as precedent.

I've now read it. The EPA was defending its regulation that had gone
unchallenged since 1973 exempting all vessels from having to get a permit
for discharges normally incident to the operation of a vessel. The enviros
were trying to get it to require commercial shipping lines to get a permit
for discharging ballast water.

The opinion is rather badly written, and includes language much broader
than
required for the case before it (dicta). But it's pretty clear that the
opinion wouldn't cause the EPA to immediately run out and start requiring
recreational boaters to get a permit to wash their boats. They just have
rewrite their regulations. The legislation is clearly a case of
grandstanding congress critters passing yet another unnecessary law
thinking
it will get them votes.

Which enviros? Do you have some documentation to support your arguments?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On 23 May 08, Dave wrote:
clearly a case of
grandstanding congress critters passing yet another unnecessary law thinking
it will get them votes.

If that's true (and I don't agree that it is) then it dang sure worked
to get mine.

Rick

"Dave" wrote in message
On Fri, 23 May 2008 17:10:14 -0400, said:

Which "enviros" are you talking about?

The ones he sees all around him when he closes his eyes.

Hey, it's at least as good a pejorative term as "neocons" g.

They've defined themselves as that, so it isn't pejorative unless it's
self-inflicted.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Dave" wrote in message
On Fri, 23 May 2008 14:04:04 -0700, "Capt. JG"
said:

Which "enviros" are you talking about?

Take your pick.

Earth First!

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

said:

Which "enviros" are you talking about?

Take your pick.

Earth First in league with Bushco! Even better.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Clean Boating Act of 2008 claus Cruising 27 March 26th 08 04:12 AM
Senate Ethics Committee To Meet In New Ethics Committee Mansion Doug Kanter General 1 February 16th 06 07:15 PM
Being the committee boat [email protected] General 4 September 17th 05 03:35 AM
OT Best shipmate passes ed General 3 September 7th 05 05:59 PM
she should stupidly clean cosmetic and loves our new, lean codes in back of a house [email protected] ASA 0 April 22nd 05 12:55 PM