Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Jeffrey P. Vasquez

Default Rusty anchor?

Hello again all,

Today's issue:
--------------
I have a spare anchor that came with the boat that I'd like to return to
active standby and I noted quite a bit of rust on it after finally
getting around to pulling it out. My thought was to remove the rust and
have it re-galvanized at some local electroplating shop.

I took a wire brush to it thinking I might be able to determine what I
was getting myself into and found that as I brushed, more oxidized
galvanization would come off revealing new rust. Thinking I might assess
how far moisture had traveled under this layer of galvanizing I move to a
rust-free point as far from any existing rust as possible and knocked
some off. Of course, it uncovered a huge patch of ancient rust.

Questions:
----------
1) Is my intent from the outset bogus? Do people re-galvanize anchors? Do
they do it at their local electroplating shop? Is there some marine
specification for galvanizing?

2) Is it possible this anchor was somehow "dipped" at some point and some
kind of coating put over an already rusty anchor?

3) Is it possible the entire anchor could rust under the
last/original/whenever coating that was put on it as soon as it started
to fail? Iow, it's counterintuitive, but if I nick the galvanizing (or
whatever material protects anchors) off the tip of a blade should I
expect for the oxidation to travel under the coating through the entirety
of the anchor?

4) What do I do now?

As always, thanks to all who can help! -jeffrey

Fisherman's anchor Charles T. Low General 0 June 9th 04 10:39 PM
Anchor rollers John Kenison General 5 February 23rd 04 08:38 PM
"Catting" or "Fish Up" the anchor?? Steve Cruising 28 December 30th 03 03:06 PM
Anchor lights Parallax Cruising 9 October 23rd 03 04:08 PM