Steve

Default "Catting" or "Fish Up" the anchor??

I use to be a Purest but as time goes by and my brains cells absorb more and
more fiberglass fumes, I have slipped to Traditionalist..

With that said, I'm find that I'm lossing track of verious nautical terms
and methods.

I just picked up my (complimentary) Jan/Feb copy of Ocean Navigator and felt
a shiver as I saw the very traditional schooner Wendameen making way while
two seamen deal with the anchor.. "Ahh!" I say to myself, "Catting the
Anchor! Don't see that anymore."

Then I flipped to the Contents page to find out a little more about this
fine looking vessel... In the "Cover:" line I was surprise that the term
"fish up the anchor" was used.. I'm not familiar with that term and I now
wonder it that is a regional term..

I can clearly see that they have a Cathead (of sorts) on the rail so I'm
wondering if the this term relates to the hook and tackle that they are
using..

Oh well, I won't loose any sleep while pondering this question but wonder
what other traditionalists might know..

Steve (boring day in the Pac. NW. )

s/v Good Intentions

Larry W4CSC

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 18:44:05 -0800, "Steve" wrote:

I use to be a Purest but as time goes by and my brains cells absorb more and
more fiberglass fumes, I have slipped to Traditionalist..

Next thing you know it'll have pedestal steering with a wheel instead
of that tree trunk from the stern.....(c;

Then the oarsmen will be replaced by that new-fangled steam
engine.....

Sure sign is to look in the head. Is the bucket still in there or is
there, (gasp), PLUMBING?!

Go wash your mouth out with lye soap for even thinking it!

Steve

"Ric Ruminski" wrote in message
. ..
Fish the anchor means to hoist the flukes to their resting place (called
the bill-boards), and pass the shank painter.

Hmm! In the absense of an excepted nautical dictionary, I refer to my
Webster Collegiate which defines the term 'cat', 'catted' or 'catting' v
(1769): to bring(an anchor) up to the 'cathead'..

Cathead n (1626): a projecting piece of timber or iron near the bow of a
ship to which the anchor is hoisted and secured..

Billboard n (1860): a projection or ledge fixed to the bow of a vessel for
the anchor to rest on.

Now I'm obsessing..

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Steve

"Larry W4CSC" wrote ( a flame) in message

Just trying to preserve and define the correct terminology..

Doesn't deserve a flame.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Anchor rollers John Kenison General 5 February 23rd 04 08:38 PM
Anchor lights Parallax Cruising 9 October 23rd 03 04:08 PM
The problem with these off-topic, political threads... Joe Parsons General 99 September 10th 03 04:42 AM
Fish Farming Bill Cole General 2 September 7th 03 05:43 PM