Default I decided

Wayne.B wrote:

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 11:01:00 -0600, JimC
wrote:

You also say
that the Macs will simply "break up" in heavy seas. Again, where is
your evidence, other than anecdotes and hearsay, supporting this assertion?

His assertion is based on common sense, and the fact that the boat is
not designed or built for off-shore conditions. Where is your
evidence that the boat will not break up in heavy seas?

I haven't heard of any ongoing problem with Macs breaking apart and
sinking in heavy seas. - Have you?

It's not impossible, plenty of other boats have met that fate. Pick one
up 30
feet into the air and drop it to the water a few times. That will
give you a good idea where the weak spots are.

I suppose that if someone had some evidence that Macs subjected to
heavy seas and/or severe stress have been breaking apart and sinking I
might reconsider my opinion. Meanwhile, it seems that neither you or the
Capt. have any evidence to back up your assertions. I do agree that
"it's not impossible." - I'm just not sure how I'm going to pick it up
30 feet in the air and drop it into the water several times.

Jim

wrote:

You also say that the Macs will simply "break up" in heavy seas. Again,
where is your evidence, other than anecdotes and hearsay, supporting this
assertion?

His assertion is based on common sense, and the fact that the boat is
not designed or built for off-shore conditions. Where is your
evidence that the boat will not break up in heavy seas?

I haven't heard of any ongoing problem with Macs breaking apart and
sinking in heavy seas. - Have you?

Fortunately, most people, even those who buy Macs, don't take them out
there. But, feel free and send us a report!

It's not impossible, plenty of other boats have met that fate. Pick one
up 30
feet into the air and drop it to the water a few times. That will
give you a good idea where the weak spots are.

I suppose that if someone had some evidence that Macs subjected to heavy
seas and/or severe stress have been breaking apart and sinking I might
reconsider my opinion. Meanwhile, it seems that neither you or the Capt.
have any evidence to back up your assertions. I do agree that "it's not
impossible." - I'm just not sure how I'm going to pick it up 30 feet in
the air and drop it into the water several times.

That's quite a consession. Would you concede that if we drop it off a
10-story apartment building it might "break up"?

Careful how you answer....

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Capt. JG wrote:

"JimC" wrote in message
.. .

Capt. JG wrote:

"JimC" wrote in message
.. .

Actually, Neal, that would have been a good choice. To cite just one
factor, if Joe had been sailing a Mac26M, with its positive floatation,
the boat would have survived and wouldn't have been dragged to the bottom
by its keel. And of course, if you had a Mac (instead of your
no-boat-at-all), you could spend more time sailing and less time posting
childish, vacuous notes on this ng. But of course, you didn't make a
decision to get a Mac or a decision to get anything else for that matter,
so we can look forward to more of your never-ending sophistry.

Jim

Neal is an idiot, but besides that, if you were on your Mac in the
conditions Joe described, you would surely be a greater idiot than Neal
(even he isn't suicidal).

Assuming the boat can't sink (which I seriously doubt - given the
pounding it would endure, it would likely break up), it would be
dismasted for sure. Then, (not that sailing would have ever been an
option), your only chance for survival would be below decks, while the
boat rolled over and over and over, perhaps even pitchpolling from time
to time. It would be like being in a washing machine with heavy and sharp
objects. You'd find yourself in a non-habitable environment of flying
hazards including yourself that would break your bones into mush. In
desperation to escape, you would vacate the premises, and then either be
thrown off the boat by the wave action or you would remove yourself from
the boat deliberately. Either way, you wouldn't survive.

Actually, Captain, your conclusions are unfounded and your assertions
unsupported. Of course, I didn't say that I would want to take my Mac 200
miles offshore, nor would I recommend it to anyone else. What I DID say
was that if Joe were offshore in a Mac26M, the boat would have stayed
afloat and would not have been dragged to the bottom of the Gulf by a
heavy keel. (Also, if Neal had a Mac 26M instead of his no-boat-at-all, he
could spend more of his time sailing instead of posting negative, critical
notes on this ng.)

You claim that the Mac would have "rolled over and over and over, perhaps
even picthcpolling [sic]." This, of course, may be your opinion, and
actually I don't question that you sincerely believe this to be the case.
But, other than your own personal biases, what evidence to you have to
support this assertion? - Is it the usual negative bias against the Macs
that you think you can safely rely on? Is it the fact that you don't think
anyone on this ng would want to question any negative bull**** posted on
the ng regarding the Macs? Or, alternatively (and assuming that the
skipper wasn't drunk and didn't go offshore with an empty ballast tank,
and that he had enough sense to put out a storm anchor), do you actually
have some valid evidence or proof supporting your assertions? -Including
your assertion that the the Macs will roll over and over and over and over
again in heavy seas, and perhaps pitchpoll? If the latter, i.e., if you
have some valid evidence, let's see the evidence and statistics
supporting your theories. You also say that the Macs will simply "break
up" in heavy seas. Again, where is your evidence, other than anecdotes
and hearsay, supporting this assertion?

And to anyone else who wants to bash the Macs, WHERE IS YOUR EVIDENCE,
OTHER THAN ANECDOTES AND HEARSAY?) Like, put up or shut up.

In any event, despite all the supercilious anti-Mac propaganda, the fact
remains that the Mac 26s are one of the few boats over 25 feet (not the
only one, but one of the few) to have positive floatation.

Jim

Are you claiming that a dismasted boat in heavy seas won't roll?

What I am claiming is that you have no evidence to back up your
assertions, and that perhaps you ought to qualify them. As to any
susceptibility of the boat to roll, I (and others) have tried to pull it
over with pulleys for cleaning. While initially tender, after a few
degrees of heel it rapidly becomes very stiff and resistant to further
movement. If dismasted, the ballast would still be functional, and I'm
assuming the skipper would have put out a sea anchor. I'm not saying
that the boat wouldn't roll under any circumstances, but that's not
going to be easy to accomplish, and the boat tends to right itself
quickly.

If so, well QED. No on besides yourself would even consider taking a Mac
out in those
conditions, so you're right I have absolutely NO evidence. LOL

It would be nice if you would respond to what I actually said rather
than what you would have liked for me to say. - I didn't say I would
take the boat 200 miles offshore. In fact, I said that I WOULDN'T want
to take the boat 200 miles offshore. Nevertheless, the boat is built to
float even if the hull is compromised and even if, under some strange
circumstance, the boat rolled. As unpleasant as that would be, it would
be better than being on a conventional boat while it was being pulled to
the bottom by its heay keel. In contrast, in the Mac, unless the hull
is completely torn apart, there is sufficient floatation to keep the
boat afloat even if the hull is compromised.

I said that you have no evidence, other than anecdotes and hearsay, to
back up your assertions. Thanks for proving my point. LOL.

Jim

"JimC" wrote in message

Capt. JG wrote:

"JimC" wrote in message
.. .

Capt. JG wrote:

"JimC" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

I absolutely have evidence that a dismasting will cause a capsize in heavy
seas. Pulling a boat over is quite, quite different than being on the ocean
in heavy seas. Is there some evidence you would like to present that shows
this isn't true? Have you ever been in a boat rolling from side to side in
ocean conditions? I have.

So, you're saying that because a boat supposedly will continue to float
means that it won't capsize over and over? Perhaps you should read Fastnet
Force 10, and get back to us. That's exactly what happened to several boats.
They continued to float, yet rolled over and over to the point where the
crews abandoned them (to their peril).

You're assuming a situation that likely will not be possible after a
dismasting with someone trying to stay on a boat that is totally unstable.
That's a pretty weak assumption.

From your last statement, it's pretty clear that you don't know much about
boats. A dismasting in and of itself, doesn't cause a sinking. If the boat
is water-tight, a relatively straightforward thing to do, then the boat
won't sink. The interior will become untenable, however, pretty quickly. I
love it... "as unpleasant as that would be." Now that's truly funny. Keep at
it Jim, you're providing lots of cheap laughs, again proving my point...
QED.

You seem to think that I'm slamming that piece of garbage Mac in this post.
I'm not man..... LOL

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Capt. JG wrote:

"JimC" wrote in message

Capt. JG wrote:

"JimC" wrote in message
t...

Capt. JG wrote:

"JimC" wrote in message

[...]

But do you have evidence that a dismasted M26 would roll over in heavy
seas? - That happens to be the issue of this particular discussion.

So, you're saying that because a boat supposedly will continue to float
means that it won't capsize over and over?

Did I say that? Don't think so.

Perhaps you should read Fastnet
Force 10, and get back to us. That's exactly what happened to several boats.
They continued to float, yet rolled over and over to the point where the
crews abandoned them (to their peril).

You're assuming a situation that likely will not be possible after a
dismasting with someone trying to stay on a boat that is totally unstable.
That's a pretty weak assumption.

Again, do you have any evidence (other than anecdotes, hearsay, or
speculation) that the Mac 26Ms typically become "totally unstable" in
such conditions? No? I didn't think so.

From your last statement, it's pretty clear that you don't know much about
boats. A dismasting in and of itself, doesn't cause a sinking.

Once again, did I say that? Don't think so.

If the boat
is water-tight, a relatively straightforward thing to do, then the boat
won't sink. The interior will become untenable, however, pretty quickly. I
love it... "as unpleasant as that would be." Now that's truly funny. Keep at
it Jim, you're providing lots of cheap laughs, again proving my point...
QED.

You seem to think that I'm slamming that piece of garbage Mac in this post.
I'm not man..... LOL

So you're not slamming the Macs after all Capt? Really? - You certainly
had me fooled.

Jim

Capt. JG wrote:

wrote:

[...]

OK.- Being very, very careful .... I suspect that if the Mac were
dropped off a 10-story building, it might suffer severe structural
damage. Once again, however, I don't know how I would manage the
logistics of such an experiment.

To summarize this little discussion, it's become quite clear that, other
than anecdotes, hearsay, speculation, and the usual ridicule and
sarcasm, there is no evidence supporting 99% of the negative comments
regarding the Mac26M. - As I initially noted.

Jim

"JimC" wrote in message
.. .
I absolutely have evidence that a dismasting will cause a capsize in
heavy seas. Pulling a boat over is quite, quite different than being on
the ocean in heavy seas. Is there some evidence you would like to present
that shows this isn't true? Have you ever been in a boat rolling from
side to side in ocean conditions? I have.-

But do you have evidence that a dismasted M26 would roll over in heavy
seas? - That happens to be the issue of this particular discussion.

Nope. I also don't have evidence that cockroaches are smarter than
elephants. So, back at you... do you seriously believe that a dismasted boat
is stable in heavy seas? Because that's the real discussion whether or not
you choose to acknowledge it.

So, you're saying that because a boat supposedly will continue to float
means that it won't capsize over and over?

Did I say that? Don't think so.

You pretty much did in your previous comment. You should read what you
write. It's a gas.

Perhaps you should read Fastnet
Force 10, and get back to us. That's exactly what happened to several
boats. They continued to float, yet rolled over and over to the point
where the crews abandoned them (to their peril).

You're assuming a situation that likely will not be possible after a
dismasting with someone trying to stay on a boat that is totally
unstable. That's a pretty weak assumption.

Again, do you have any evidence (other than anecdotes, hearsay, or
speculation) that the Mac 26Ms typically become "totally unstable" in such
conditions? No? I didn't think so.

As I said. You're now claiming that the Mac is somehow a special case. Yes,
I know so.

From your last statement, it's pretty clear that you don't know much
about boats. A dismasting in and of itself, doesn't cause a sinking.

Once again, did I say that? Don't think so.

You don't know much about boats... clearly, and I do think so.

If the boat
is water-tight, a relatively straightforward thing to do, then the boat
won't sink. The interior will become untenable, however, pretty quickly.
I love it... "as unpleasant as that would be." Now that's truly funny.
Keep at it Jim, you're providing lots of cheap laughs, again proving my
point... QED.

You seem to think that I'm slamming that piece of garbage Mac in this
post. I'm not man..... LOL

So you're not slamming the Macs after all Capt? Really? - You certainly
had me fooled.

Well, that's apparently pretty easy to do!

Feel free to show us some empirical evidence that a Mac will not roll,
capsize, and kill anyone stupid enough to be in the conditions previously
described. Nope, didn't think you could.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"JimC" wrote in message
.. .
That's quite a consession. Would you concede that if we drop it off a
10-story apartment building it might "break up"?

Careful how you answer....

OK.- Being very, very careful .... I suspect that if the Mac were dropped
off a 10-story building, it might suffer severe structural damage. Once
again, however, I don't know how I would manage the logistics of such an
experiment.

Try going out in a storm. Water isn't so soft as you think, and when your
nice little Mac goes flying off the top of 30 foot wave, then gets pounded
by another one, and another, and another, you'll know the answer.

To summarize this little discussion, it's become quite clear that, other
than anecdotes, hearsay, speculation, and the usual ridicule and sarcasm,
there is no evidence supporting 99% of the negative comments regarding the
Mac26M. - As I initially noted.

You're right. It just takes common sense. The Mac is a great boat for
protected waters and light winds with small waves. Any place else, and you
can't blame the boat for the consequences.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 20:45:08 -0600, JimC
wrote:

Capt. JG wrote:

"JimC" wrote in message

Capt. JG wrote:

"JimC" wrote in message
et...

Capt. JG wrote:

"JimC" wrote in message
m...

Quite a lot cut as I am interested in one specific statement

I absolutely have evidence that a dismasting will cause a capsize in heavy
seas. Pulling a boat over is quite, quite different than being on the ocean
in heavy seas. Is there some evidence you would like to present that shows
this isn't true? Have you ever been in a boat rolling from side to side in
ocean conditions? I have.-

Jim

Are you stating specifically that a sailing boat that loses its mast
is in more danger of capsizing then when the rig was in place?? I
would appreciate it if you could elaborate on this as it was always my
understanding that once the rig was either cut away or retrieved and
lashed on deck the boat rode no worse then it had with the rig in
place.

It was always my thought that once the rig was gone that stability of
the ballasted hull would become slightly better with no weight above
the deck line.

I emphasize that I have no interest in this discussion other then this
single point which is probably of interest to most cruising sailors.

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(correct email address for reply)

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote in message
[...]

If it was bare poles, then no as far as absolute stability goes, but in
storm conditions, the generally accepted best method of survival is to heave
to, rather than lying ahull. This implies some sail up. Thus, some ability
to sail and greater stability while doing so. Even running before the storm,
you might be able to do that with bare poles, but I don't think you could do
it dismasted. You need something up to heave-to.

Despite Jim's rather bizarre assumptions about survivability in a Mac in
heavy seas, the discussion did get me thinking about rigging. Seems to me it
would not make the boat more stable than under bare poles due to weight
aloft and no sails for stability, but the rigging would resist or at least
dampen a 360 roll... probably just one time around.

If what I wrote was interpreted to imply that one would simply have bare
poles vs. being dismasted (as thought that would be much of a choice), it
was not my intention - I suppose Jim will be bitter, sorry for the political
pun -- I was always thinking that if I can put any kind of sail up, that'll
be an advantage, which is why they make storm sails.... heaving to, making
some progress vs. being at the mercy of whatever comes your way.

All this said, I can't imagine someone purposefully dismasting to improve
stability. Wow... great idea... a collapsible mast that you could just fold
up and stow. I think this would be perfect for the Mac enthusiast who wants
to go offshore. LOL

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

I have decided to become.......... Thurston Howell III[_2_] General 1 December 19th 07 01:49 AM
Decided on Dry Tortugas Ferg Cruising 17 August 11th 03 02:07 PM
Decided on Dry Tortugas Jim General 0 July 24th 03 04:52 AM
Decided on Dry Tortugas Ferg General 1 July 15th 03 12:32 AM