Frank Maier

Default Advice about '68 Newport 30'?

Stephen Trapani wrote:
Hi, sorry to just drop in, but I think I can get a 1968 Newport 30' for
under $7000. ...snip...

People always talk about This Company's boats are poorly built or That
Company's boats are poorly built; but Newports are about the worst
built boat I've run across. Check the hull/deck joint for a prime
example of bad design exacerbated by cheap construction. On the good
side, the underlying (hull) design is by C&C, so they sail pretty
well.

That's not to say that you shouldn't buy it to have fun with; but
don't plan on it being safe for a blue-water-type experience. PHRF
fun? Sure, if the survey is good.

Good luck,

Frank
Trent D. Sanders

Steve,

Just as a suggestion,,,,,,,, look for a boat built before 1972 or so.
Back then they were much more heavily built and didn't use the "EPA"
approved resins. The old resins were much stronger. Also, because
fiberglass was new to the industry they weren't sure of how strong it
would be. So they tended to overbuild their boats. As a result the
early boats are generally "hell for stout".

There's lots of these older boats around, and they can be had for less
than the $7,000 asked for the Newport. In the 26' to 30' range
there's the Pearsons [26' Ariel & 32' Vanguard], Columbia 29',
Islander 29' & 32', Rawson 30', Alberg 30', etc. All of these boats
are far superior to the Newport. And far safer in a seaway.

As an example, my Islander 29' has been around the world once,
including a Cape Horn passage. I paid $4,500 for it [no, it's not for
sale!].

Trent
S/V Cimba

Stephen Trapani wrote in message ...
Hi, sorry to just drop in, but I think I can get a 1968 Newport 30' for
under $7000. I grew up sailing my dad's Blanchard 33' in Kaneohe Bay,
and between the HI islands, so I can sail, probably rusty, but anyway,
assuming I get a survey and nothing terrible is wrong, the Atomic 4 is
recently rebuilt, tiller, Autohelm, decent electronics, shore power, a
few other things, any particular big reason I shouldn't buy it? And, oh
yeah, I don't have much more than that to spend. What do you think the
boat will be worth in ten years? Any guesses?

Thanks,

Stephen

Brian Whatcott

Thank you for posting blue water boat suggestions. There's no
substitute for experience!

Brian W

On 6 Mar 2004 08:14:02 -0800, (Trent D. Sanders)
wrote:

[...]

Stephen Trapani

Thanks to all for your replies. In case anyone is still interested in
helping further let me add: If all goes well, I'll never get out of
Puget Sound with the boat I get, so perhaps seaworthiness is not the
hugest concern? Crusing comfort for my family and liveaboardness for
weekends/week at a time are my chief concerns, I guess (two boys seven
and eight). Like, I think i want to get an inverter and a better heater
than it has (solid fuel).

I looked for all the boats recommended here by Trent and can find none
of them for sale within 500 miles, in my price range. My sailing buddy
specifically told me Newports were a better class of boat, was he
whacked? I am more interested in being able to get my money back out of
the boat in ten years or so when I move up in boats, if I put some elbow
grease and upgrades into it. Pie in the sky dreaming with this boat?

I went and looked at this '68 Newport yesterday and I like the
roominess. It needs some cleaning, the deck needs painting. The Atomic 4
looks clean. Dodger with a few years left on it. I'll check the sails
better during the sea trial/survey. I put down $635 and made an offer
($6350), contingent on survey and sea trial, so I can still get out of
it. The nearest boat I found to it so far around here was a Buccaneer
30, and supposedly those have a real bad reputation.

Thanks for any more advice!

Stephen

Trent D. Sanders wrote:
[...]

Frank Maier

Stephen Trapani wrote...
[...]

Hiya,

Well, on the one hand, I generally disagree with Trent. I'm not a fan
of heavy displacement "blue-water" (soi disant) boats, per se. Most of
the boats he mentions are too heavy and slow for my taste.

OTOH, I disagree with your friend about Newports. As I said in my
post, they are the worst-built production boats I've ever run across.
They make Catalina look like Nautor-Swan. If you buy it, definitely
double check that hull/deck joint. Like I also said, the design is by
C&C; so they do sail pretty well.

On the third hand, Buccaneer makes Newport look like Nautor-Swan. I'd
say, please don't buy the Bucaneer under any circumstances.

I crewed foredeck on a Newport 28 racing in the Puget Sound area back
in the early 80s and we did race that thing hard. We never managed to
sink it; so you'd probably do just fine cruising the Puget Sound area
in a Newport 30.

I wouldn't really plan on "getting my money out of it" after upgrades,
which cost a lot but don't do much to increase the "value" of your
boat. It's a nasty cheap boat and will continue to depreciate
significantly, IMHO. But, since you're getting it for a pretty good
price, I'd be willing to admit that you shouldn't lose too much on a
future sale.

I haven't checked prices in your interest range lately. Howzabout a
Ranger or a San Juan? Lots of them around the Puget Sound region.

Good luck,

Frank

DatMan@CMX3600+.com

Stephen Trapani wrote:

a Buccaneer

Good lord! Don't touch one of those even if they pay you to take it.

Advice Wanted Chris Boat Building 0 June 20th 04 12:26 PM
ON Topic -- Power boat novice seeks advice Jim General 31 April 15th 04 02:22 AM
Prop Size - Advice on Advice? Lloyd Sumpter General 8 December 31st 03 03:17 AM
Sage restoration advice wanted (osmosis) Angus Gratton General 4 November 14th 03 06:04 PM
Advice on sailing courses in the Whitsunday Islands, Australia skunk.co.uk Cruising 4 July 26th 03 11:58 AM