posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

Default 'Captain' (was) Lessons to be learned from the wreck of the 'REDCLOUD'

You may have been a real Captain, but still outranked by a Navy
Lieutenant.

Bloody Horvath wrote:
There's different grades of lieutenants in the navy.

True.
If you get right down to that, there are different grades of
lieutenants in the Army, too. But they start one rank lower than Navy
Lieutenants

.... An army captain
outranks them all.

Nope
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/theor...fficerrank.htm

DSK

On 2008-04-12 09:41:19 -0400, Bruce in Bangkok said:

Next you'll be telling me about how the kid taped that stupid 5 cell
flashlight under the barrel on the 30-30 so he could shoot rats after
dark...... Right!

In NJ, those so-annoying deer are known as brown rats. And if I lived
there, I'd likely be that "kid". They are a hazard to navigation.

Luckily, I live in PA which recognizes that more deer live within the
state than did during colonial times. Friend of mine enjoys bow-hunting
deer in a park within the Philadelphia city limits each year. (arrows
which miss their mark don't usually go very much further.)

I'm still annoyed that a stupid deer took out my last car in MD. Damned
thing didn't even have the decency to die in the conflict.

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

Capt. Rob wrote:

Knew this was a lie when I read "Had friends..."

I do annoy you don't I Bob? Oh well, class, tact and intelligence
usually anger bluster, brawn and stupidity. You remain the "Charlie the
Tuna" of Usenet.

Cheers
Marty
posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 11:20:19 -0500, Molesworth
wrote:

In article ,
Bruce in Bangkok wrote:

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 21:28:41 -0500, Molesworth
wrote:

In article ,
Bruce in Bangkok wrote:

In the some sixty years that I've been messing around in boats I have
never heard a professional seaman refer to himself as "the good
captain" so I assume that you are some sort of ignoramus that knows
nothing and rates right along side such other sterling examples of
stupidity as the Good Captain Neil and Wilbur (the guy that can't
spell his name correctly) for competency.

I sailed into harbor in W Fla for the night and was addressed as
'Captain' by the dockie. I was single-handing but I still squirm with
embarrassment as I don't consider myself to be experienced enough to
earn that title.

And I don't know when/if I'll be comfortable with it either.

However, someone has to be in charge (me).. Hmm, a quandary!

It is common courtesy to address the master of a vessel as "Captain"
but one does not introduce one's self as Captain unless one is a
serving military officer in which case it is proper to announce one's
rank, primarily so that others know how to address you.

But 'Corporal' doesn't have the same ring, now does it?

LOL

However, I can live with 'Skipper'.

I didn't want to get into all the details of military service and
protocol but in the military it is only polite to inform others of
your rank as it forewarns them on how you are to be treated. Do we
send a staff car? Which quarters are to be assigned and so on.

I met a bloke one evening as I was arriving at a new base. He was
wearing a pair of utility trousers and an old flight jacket with no
insignia. I spent some time informing this new bloke of all the horror
stories I had heard about the new squadron. The next morning when I
marched in, all polished and spit shined, to report to the new
commander guess who it was. It would have been far less embarrassing
to me, at least, if he had been wearing his rank badges like he should
have been.

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(correct email address for reply)
posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

Molesworth wrote:

In article ,
Bruce in Bangkok wrote:

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 21:28:41 -0500, Molesworth
wrote:

In article ,
Bruce in Bangkok wrote:

[...]

Yes - my daughter was walking across an AF base one day in civvies and
one of the enlisted guys started to chat her up. At some point early
in the conversation, she had to explain that she was an officer (and
also engaged to be married)

A Navy/CG Captain is the equivalent of an Army/AF/Marine Colonel.
A Navy Commander is the equivalent of an Army Lt. Colonel
A Navy Lt. Commander is the equivalent of an Army Major
A Navy Lt. is the equivalent of an Army Captain
A Navy Lt. junior grade is the equivalent of an army 1st Lt.

I used to coach an age group swim team on a Navy base, and I let the
active duty guys practice with us - some of them did Masters swimming.
One of the guys was an AF Captain. Since this was a Navy base, there
were some raised eyebrows when the kids cheered for him by yelling Go
Captain. Because in the Navy, Captain is a pretty exalted rank.

But 'Corporal' doesn't have the same ring, now does it?

LOL

Isn't a Corporal enlisted? (i.e. not an officer). The equivalent of
a Petty Officer third class.

Rosalie B. wrote:

Molesworth wrote:

But 'Corporal' doesn't have the same ring, now does it?

LOL

Isn't a Corporal enlisted? (i.e. not an officer). The equivalent of
a Petty Officer third class.

yep - all the fun, none of the responsibility!

Molesworth - (also ex-CEO - is that better?)
posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

Rosalie B. wrote in
:

I used to coach an age group swim team on a Navy base, and I let the
active duty guys practice with us - some of them did Masters swimming.
One of the guys was an AF Captain. Since this was a Navy base, there
were some raised eyebrows when the kids cheered for him by yelling Go
Captain. Because in the Navy, Captain is a pretty exalted rank.

I had a buddy who was an AF captain. Some idiot made the mistake of
sending this misfit as the AF liason to a Navy unit on a Navy base. Stan
said he loved the Navy! They put him up in a VERY nice little house
because he was a captain, instead of housing him at the BOQ. And, when he
wanted to go to the O-club, he could call a number and say, "This is
Captain Kohli at (his address), can you send a car around to take me to the
O-club?" and a nice sailor in his whites would show up in a brand new car.

They had a lot of trouble "recovering" Stan from the Navy base. For some
reason, he never wanted to leave!