JAXAshby

Default Gasoline pumped to diesel tank.....

nobody mentioned just take the filler cap off the tank and sniff..

what a concept!!!

also, no one mentioned that diesels can and do run just fine on up to 10%
gasolene, so even 20% should not have been an ungodly problem. Not good maybe,
but not an ungodly problem.

Larry W4CSC

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 14:12:51 -0800, "Steve" wrote:

If your still not sure, then pour a little out into an open pie tin and toss
a match in to it. If it flashes right up, then it's most likely it has gas
in it.. The straight diesel will just burn like kerosene (may even put the
match out).

Is now a good time to mention that gas mixed with fuel oil is one of
the most explosive mixtures this side of dynamite or fuel oil and
fertilizer?

Sorry you destroyed your engine. I always found the pumps clearly
marked.

Larry W4CSC

No, no, Scotty! I said, "Beam me a wrench.", not a WENCH!
Kirk Out.....

Dan Best

Larry W4CSC wrote:
On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 14:12:51 -0800, "Steve" wrote:
Sorry you destroyed your engine. I always found the pumps clearly
marked.

A number of years ago on our way down the coast in our Atomic-4 powered
Catalina 30, we stopped at Morrow Bay for fuel. The fuel dock there is
a VERY high one, maybe 8 or 9 feet above the water and I asked the
attendant to "Hand me down the unleaded". After filling my tank, I was
up in the office as he filled out the reciept, I saw him write "16 gal.
Diesel" and corrected him, telling him that it was unleaded. He said
"No, it was diesel". When I insisted that it was unleaded, he said
"Look, all we sell here is diesel. We don't have any gas pumps".

Oops!

--
Dan Best - (707) 431-1662, Healdsburg, CA 95448
B-2/75 1977-1979

Ytter

Engsol! Engine would start-run for 3-4 sec and die,then I started again
after I checked thermostat-was OK,changed oil and filter.,I pushed the
throttle almost to the max ,black smoke,muddy,greasy,heavy smoke came out
with some water-engine run for 2 min and continue spiting this black water
and stopped abruptly,cut like a knife-mechanic was present when we did that
and said that he doesn't know what is wrong.He has spent 2 hours checking
what was wrong and left me without answer.Of course took the money for
trying.
Ytter
"engsol" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 15:28:58 -0800, "Ytter"

wrote:

Hi! I need your expertise or opinion.
I have diesel engine Volvo Penta MD3 on my sailboat .Just after refueling

in
one of the marina(in 10 minutes) engine reached temp 280 F
I had to run the engine for another 8-10 minutes to drop the anchor and I
shut off the engine which was red hot.I suspect that they pumped 20 gal
gasoline instead of diesel.Capacity of the tank is 40 gal.I still have

this
fuel in the tank.How can I check if gasoline is in the tank,mixed with
diesel ? Is it any method,way to analyze or find out.Maybe I should find

the
lab or place that can be determine what this fuel consists.
If they pumped the gasoline accidentally or not the engine is probably
damaged.Thank You For Your Help.
Ytter

Steve's suggestion of putting a sample in a jar is good. I'd also suspect

that
the sample would separate after a few hours...gas on top, diesel on the

bottom.

You mention above that the engine was "red hot" after shut-down. What were
the indicators? The temp gauge only? "Frying" noises and smell of a hot

engine?
Smoke/smell from hot paint? Could a stuck-closed thermostat be the

problem?

One thing I'm curious about is how the engine ran with a 50/50 mixture.

I'd
think that since gas has a much lower flash point (it does, doesn't it?),

it
would have ignited earlier in the compression cycle, and made a heck of a

racket,
and that power would be low. Also, I'd think the exhaust would be quite

smoky.

Good luck...hope your mechanic says all's well.
Norm

Matt Colie

Ytter,

I have known of several gasoline in diesel engine situations.
I hope it did not actually happen that way. They seldom come out well.

After reading the entire thread - including your additions - I think you
may well have more that one problem - now. My personal bet (without any
actual contact) based on some experience, would be that the cylinder
head gasket got taken out. That will cause both the over heat problem,
the smoke and the bad running. I am somewhat surprized that the
mechanic did not have the cylinder head off.

Though I suspect your statement that the engine was red hot is an
exageration, if it got hot enough to blister the paint. You can count
on the engine requiring serious work before it is dependable again.
This will be as much as reboring the cylinders to get them round again
and doing a valve job because the seats are distorted.

If the engine is not easy to work on where it is, I suggest you
seriously consider getting it removed as that time required for the
minimum amount of work the engine is likely to require.

I leave you by saying that I sincerely hope that I am completely wrong.

Matt Colie
Lifelong Waterman, Licensed Mariner and Perpetual Sailor

wrote:

Hi! I need your expertise or opinion.
I have diesel engine Volvo Penta MD3 on my sailboat .Just after refueling

in one of the marina(in 10 minutes) engine reached temp 280 F
I had to run the engine for another 8-10 minutes to drop the anchor and I
shut off the engine which was red hot.I suspect that they pumped 20 gal
gasoline instead of diesel.Capacity of the tank is 40 gal.I still have

this fuel in the tank.How can I check if gasoline is in the tank,mixed with
diesel ? Is it any method,way to analyze or find out.Maybe I should find

the lab or place that can be determine what this fuel consists.
If they pumped the gasoline accidentally or not the engine is probably
damaged. Thank You For Your Help.
Ytter

fraggy

hi
truckers used to add petrol to diesel in the winter to stop the diesel
waxing up

fragged

"Ytter" wrote in message
.. .
Hi! I need your expertise or opinion.
I have diesel engine Volvo Penta MD3 on my sailboat .Just after refueling

in
one of the marina(in 10 minutes) engine reached temp 280 F
I had to run the engine for another 8-10 minutes to drop the anchor and I
shut off the engine which was red hot.I suspect that they pumped 20 gal
gasoline instead of diesel.Capacity of the tank is 40 gal.I still have

this
fuel in the tank.How can I check if gasoline is in the tank,mixed with
diesel ? Is it any method,way to analyze or find out.Maybe I should find

the
lab or place that can be determine what this fuel consists.
If they pumped the gasoline accidentally or not the engine is probably
damaged.Thank You For Your Help.
Ytter

Repairing weeping FG Diesel tank Truelove39 Boat Building 9 June 11th 04 03:15 AM
Gasoline pumped to diesel tank..... Steve Boat Building 26 March 8th 04 06:57 AM
Foaming in diesel tank Bryan B Boat Building 7 October 18th 03 08:46 PM
Diesel outboard? Jack Rye Cruising 4 August 28th 03 08:34 PM
diesel fuel tanks P.C. Boat Building 2 August 22nd 03 04:10 AM