Gary Schafer

Default Gasoline pumped to diesel tank.....

Don't be fooled by this. You can sometimes, most times, toss a match
into an open can of gas and the match will go out. It is hard to get a
fire going that way.
It will flash if you have agitated the gas and there is a strong vapor
in the air above the open gas.

You could have mostly gas and it may or may not light.

regards
Gary

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 19:50:53 -0500, "Jeff Morris"
wrote:

What? You've never used gasoline as charcoal starter? ;-)

Seriously, the amount of fuel needed for this test is pretty small. If it
flares up, you have a pretty good answer.

"Chuck Bollinger" wrote in message
Steve wrote:
Ouch! To bad!

If your still not sure, then pour a little out into an open pie tin and toss
a match in to it. If it flashes right up, then it's most likely it has gas
in it.. The straight diesel will just burn like kerosene (may even put the
match out).

Steve, have you ever done this? I've seen this from a distance of 50 yards

with
the fire set by Fire Department personnel, and it was impressive. I'll tell

you
this: Anyone close enough to have "toss(ed) a match in to it" would have been
burned seriously.

Not trying to one-up, but that advice scares the Hell out of me.

Doug Dotson

I think the suggestion was to put the suspect fuel in an open
pie plate. Should be plenty enough air to allow it to flash
if sufficient gas is present. I would think that a flash test is
not necessary. At a 50/50 concentration one should be able
to smell the gas anyway. If the engine was glowing red
hot, it is pretty much toast anyway.

Doug
s/v Callista

news

Steve wrote:
Ouch! To bad!

If your still not sure, then pour a little out into an open pie tin

and toss
a match in to it. If it flashes right up, then it's most likely it

has gas
in it.. The straight diesel will just burn like kerosene (may even

put the
match out).

Steve, have you ever done this? I've seen this from a distance of 50

yards
with
the fire set by Fire Department personnel, and it was impressive. I'll

tell
you
this: Anyone close enough to have "toss(ed) a match in to it" would

have been
burned seriously.

Not trying to one-up, but that advice scares the Hell out of me.

Den73740

Subject: Gasoline pumped to diesel tank.....
From: "Ytter"

How can I check if gasoline is in the tank,mixed with
diesel ? Is it any method,way to analyze or find out.

Smell it?

Dennis

Den73740

Gary Schafer

I should have said "open pie plate". No restriction above area that
gas is in.

regards
Gary

Steve wrote:
Ouch! To bad!

If your still not sure, then pour a little out into an open pie tin

and toss
a match in to it. If it flashes right up, then it's most likely it

has gas
in it.. The straight diesel will just burn like kerosene (may even

put the
match out).

Steve, have you ever done this? I've seen this from a distance of 50

yards
with
the fire set by Fire Department personnel, and it was impressive. I'll

tell
you
this: Anyone close enough to have "toss(ed) a match in to it" would

have been
burned seriously.

Not trying to one-up, but that advice scares the Hell out of me.

fraggy

nobody mentioned just take the filler cap off the tank and sniff..

"Ytter" wrote in message
.. .
Hi! I need your expertise or opinion.
I have diesel engine Volvo Penta MD3 on my sailboat .Just after refueling

in
one of the marina(in 10 minutes) engine reached temp 280 F
I had to run the engine for another 8-10 minutes to drop the anchor and I
shut off the engine which was red hot.I suspect that they pumped 20 gal
gasoline instead of diesel.Capacity of the tank is 40 gal.I still have

this
fuel in the tank.How can I check if gasoline is in the tank,mixed with
diesel ? Is it any method,way to analyze or find out.Maybe I should find

the
lab or place that can be determine what this fuel consists.
If they pumped the gasoline accidentally or not the engine is probably
damaged.Thank You For Your Help.
Ytter

JAXAshby

nobody mentioned just take the filler cap off the tank and sniff..

what a concept!!!

also, no one mentioned that diesels can and do run just fine on up to 10%
gasolene, so even 20% should not have been an ungodly problem. Not good maybe,
but not an ungodly problem.

Repairing weeping FG Diesel tank Truelove39 Boat Building 9 June 11th 04 03:15 AM
Gasoline pumped to diesel tank..... Steve Boat Building 26 March 8th 04 06:57 AM
Foaming in diesel tank Bryan B Boat Building 7 October 18th 03 08:46 PM
Diesel outboard? Jack Rye Cruising 4 August 28th 03 08:34 PM
diesel fuel tanks P.C. Boat Building 2 August 22nd 03 04:10 AM