BoatBanter.com

-   -   Licence to hire speedboat in Greece/Spain (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/9169-re-licence-hire-speedboat-greece-spain.html)

Fmc February 20th 04 12:44 AM

Licence to hire speedboat in Greece/Spain

Well stated! However, I believe that "Plonk" should have been all caps.

"I top-post because what I have to say is more important that what you had
to say, originally. Live with it. You are a troll. Plonk."

Simon Brooke February 20th 04 01:06 AM

Licence to hire speedboat in Greece/Spain

Steve writes:

Simon Brooke , wrote:

Most people who sail have experience of people in high powered motor
boats who do not seem to know or abide by the IRPCS, and consequently
put our lives and our boats in danger. We don't much like this sort of
thing. Also, they create huge amounts of row, and often pass much too
close making much too much wash, and we don't much like that either.

They are inconsiderate cretins, and not necessarily to be tarred
with the same brush every other driver of an engine powered
vessel.

Consequently, while I don't much like the idea of compulsory certificates
of competence, I equally don't like the idea of ignorant cowboys in
high-powered motor boats.

You don't *really* believe a piece of paper will teach them
common courtesy do you?

If you know your colregs and basic
navigation, you'll get through the exam without difficulty. If you
don't, I don't much want you on the water in a powerful boat, with or
without a certificate.

Define "powerful".

More than four horsepower.

If you don't want to get one, stick to hiring low-powered boats.

25hp on open seas is not "low powered", it's dismall and probably
unsafe.

Don't be ****ing ridiculous! My 26 foot ocean capable boat has 8
horsepower, and is grossly overpowered - half throttle is ten knots
and anything over half throttle she just squats. Four would be
adequate in all conditions, and with a good inboard installation and a
good prop two horsepower could probably drive her at hull speed. My
father's similar 22 foot boat forty years ago had two horsepower and
it was never not powerful enough.

If you think you can't go into open water with less than 25 horse
power, you aren't safe to go into open water at all.

For office use only. Please do not write or type below this line.

JimB February 20th 04 02:22 AM

Licence to hire speedboat in Greece/Spain

Steve wrote in message
"Sailor" , wrote:

Having followed this thread ...

Learn to post correctly you cretin.

Argumentem ad hominem - you don't defeat the argument by
insulting the man - or his methods of expressing himself.

I know, that's what a lot of people have been doing to you.

Ignore the insults, stick to the case. You don't like the expense
of licensing. That's a bit like the UK motorists who complain
about the application of speed limits by 'profit making'
entities.

What they're really complaining about is the expense of being
caught speeding - in places where they think speed limits are
inappropriate. But who's the best judge of where limits (speed -
or power in this case, it's surrogate) should be applied?

Visitors? who seek pleasure - or local residents? who suffer the
consequences (of accidents).

I've seen enough speed related water deaths in Nidri (Greece,
Levkas - 3 to 5 a year for each of ten years) to be convinced
that something needs to be done. Don't ask me the best thing to
do - but I'm sure that some sort of licencing is better than the
assumption than 'common sense' is all you need. The detail of
right of way rules and light regulations is a start. Do you know
how to treat a windsurfer who is overtaking your powerboat? Do
you know enough to predict the reactions of a boat which you're
approaching which is going to alter course to avoid a potential
collision with a third party?

With a licence, people at least know which rules exist, even if
they can't work them out at the time. So you're an exclusive
genius and common sense will serve . . . not so for the majority.

JimB
Yacht Rapaz, sadly for sale:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jim.bae...cification.htm
jim(dot)baerselman(at)ntlworld(dot)com

Karin Conover-Lewis February 20th 04 02:28 AM

Licence to hire speedboat in Greece/Spain

hehehe -- you are right, of course. But I would know that if I had my usenet
posting license ;-)

--
Karin Conover-Lewis
Fair and Balanced since 1959

Ric February 20th 04 06:28 AM

Licence to hire speedboat in Greece/Spain

The tests are there because not everybody is as competent and responsible as
you belatedly claim to be. Do you really think that other water users should
have their lives put at risk just on the say-so of some holidaymaker who
claims to be experienced? Of course not.

You point out that having a licence does not guarantee safe behaviour. Of
course it does not - but it helps. A system of driving licences on the road
does not stop people driving drunk, driving too fast etc - but you can be
sure that the carnage would be many times worse if there was no licence
system. Exaclty the same applies to water users. If anything, the system
needs tightening up much more, because as you have already pointed out it is
relatively easy to forge an ICC.

As others have already advised, if you are as competent as you claim, you
will have no problem at all passing the test.

Ric February 20th 04 06:30 AM

Licence to hire speedboat in Greece/Spain

25hp on open seas is not "low powered", it's dismall and probably
unsafe.

What utter crap - you are confirming what we already suspect, ie that you
don't really know what you are talking about.