Sailor

Default Licence to hire speedboat in Greece/Spain

Sure - would you like my spare castings to print banknotes as well whilst I
am about it??

What you are suggesting is fraud and theft and to a person who has done the
classroom theory, done the miles, gained the experience done the tests paid
the money it is offensive beyond belief.

I would like to think that your suggestion 2) was made as an attempt at
humour?????

"Steve" wrote in message
Hi,

Whenever I have tried to hire a boat in Spain or Greece with a
motor larger than 25hp, I have always been asked to provide a
licence. Being from the UK I was obviously surprised by this.

I have done a little research and discovered that I will be
required to take a 2 day course and pay up to £500 to obtain an
"International Certificate of Competence (ICC)" which doesn't
even sound like a "full licence" to me. This seems like serious
overkill as I only want to hire a little 50 or 60hp motot boat to
potter around on for the odd afternoon. Also, ISTM that the
smaller powered boat is the more dangerous of the two.
Anyway, my question is this...

1.) Is there a quick and easy way to obtain a "licence" that
won't cost more than the boat hire?

2.) If not, does anyone know where I might obtain a template or
scan of an actual licence that I could use to overlay my own
details and print off. I'm sure these Greeks won't check too
closely so that would solve my problem.

Thank you,
Steve.

Ps. Pull the plug to reply.

Ric

"Steve" wrote in message
Hi,

Whenever I have tried to hire a boat in Spain or Greece with a
motor larger than 25hp, I have always been asked to provide a
licence. Being from the UK I was obviously surprised by this.

You sound like a perfect example of why licences are sensibly required by
these countries. Every year in the Med people are killed by holidaymakers
who hire speedboats with either false qualifications, or hire them from
dodgy cowboys who don't check.

Karin Conover-Lewis

Back in 1980, in Italy, I had to take a course and test, paid in the
neighbourhood of $25 US for it, and obtained a certificate that sounds much
like what you are talking about. I allowed me to hire small power and
sailboats in Sardegna, Italy and Sicily. Even given the current state of
affairs and the much broader scope of the certificate in question, 500
pounds seems a bit steep, but you can't fight city hall. Maybe you can find
a cheaper source for the same certificate?

As for asking for help in forging documents, that strikes me as an
exceptionally stupid thing to be doing given the shape of the world. You're
entirely on your own. Enjoy your cell.

--
Karin Conover-Lewis
Fair and Balanced since 1959

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

Ric

"Steve" wrote in message
news
It's only water.

That attitude is further confirmation that you shouldn't be allowed on it...

Ric

"Steve" wrote in message
news
It's only water.

That attitude is further confirmation that you shouldn't be allowed on it...

Jonathan Schofield

Unfortunately the RNLI aren't in Greece to save people who know better than
to actually do a formal course. If you're qualified in the RYA with
powerboat certificates, the exam will be easy and cheap.

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

Brian Whatcott

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 21:44:18 +0000, Steve wrote:

///
I could buy or hire a 40' cruiser in England without a licence,
why do I need one in Spain. Is it more dangerous or difficult
over there?

The details of national licensing requirements are in the final
analysis arbitrary. A city speed limit in the U.K of 30 MPH might be
mirrored by a city limit of 25MPH in [some parts of ]the US.

But there *is* an international driving permit, and I suspect that's
what you have in mind?

Brian W