Ed Ed is offline

Default Powerboat trip from Grand Bahama to Florida

Most important....

Don't go over if the wind has an N in it and is over 10 kts...

NE, N, NW winds will add 2' to the gulfstream and it makes the faces
VERY steep. Like hitting brick walls.

If you are going to the Abacos... go to WEST END first and the go across
the bank to the N of freeport. NW channel is a nasty bit of water.

If you are going to the central/southern bahamas in a boat that goes 20
+ knots, it is usually eaier to stay close to shore then cut towards
Bimini near boca or FLL (Maybe after fueling up to save $$$). On the
way back, you can ride the 3 kt current and go direct.

First Step... Buy EXPLORER CHARTS... NOT the govt charts. Next buy a
cruising guide for excellent information.

AdisonGrio wrote:
Thank you all for the good advice. It is clear now that such a trip
has to be started early and it may take half a day, depending on the
weather. And of course, you need a boat that you can trust! As I
mentioned, I will be living in Freeport (actually Lucaya) and I know
about the marinas there - some are state of the art, some are let's
say... affordable. We are a family of 5 and we're thinking that a
powerboat is a much better alternative to reach Florida instead of a
regular airflight (not sure if it's cheaper, we'll have to see how
much gasoline is used to go back and forth). Of course, we will use to
boat to get to the other islands as well (and maybe further down
south).

Adrian