Default Yacht totally destroyed

Hello readers please take a moment to view the following:

A 17 m yacht "Melanie" was recently destroyed in a sudden and violent
storm, please go to http://www.lostyacht.org for pictures and more
information. (this is a donation site)
Jim Jim is offline

manta.bay wrote:
Hello readers please take a moment to view the following:

A 17 m yacht "Melanie" was recently destroyed in a sudden and violent
storm, please go to http://www.lostyacht.org for pictures and more
information. (this is a donation site)

While this is very unfortunate and a sad ending to the guy's boat, I
have a problem with leaving a boat unattended at anchor for any period
of time.

It's just not a good idea.

It's a trade off, safety versus cost. Like the home buyers who took out
loans they couldn't afford hoping to sell before the bubble burst, you
gamboled and lost.

Next time buy a boat you can afford to put in a safe place if you are
leaving it unattended, or find a competent person in the area to look
out for your boat.

17 m is about 55 feet. You can cruise on a 30 footer and spend a lot less.

My advise is my donation.

Jim wrote:
manta.bay wrote:
Hello readers please take a moment to view the following:

A 17 m yacht "Melanie" was recently destroyed in a sudden and violent
storm, please go to http://www.lostyacht.org for pictures and more
information. (this is a donation site)

While this is very unfortunate and a sad ending to the guy's boat, I
have a problem with leaving a boat unattended at anchor for any period
of time.

It's just not a good idea.

It's a trade off, safety versus cost. Like the home buyers who took
out loans they couldn't afford hoping to sell before the bubble
burst, you gamboled and lost.

No sir, they, the home buyers, gambled and we lost. The present pile of **** that is laughingly referred to as "The World Markets" is a direct result of these thieves and their supporters, the banks and financial institutions.

As for leaving a heavy, ferro-cement boat of that size on an anchor, even the QE2's anchor, the owners should be brought before a court of law and tried, rather than appealing for financial help.

DP

I have a problem with leaving a boat unattended at anchor for any period
of time.

THREE DAYS is hardly being left unattended for any great length of time.

Hopefully they had it properly (or at least partly) insured, wouldn't be
smart for a lender would extend a loan without it.

Next will come the nightmare of salvage costs.

On Feb 25, 4:14*am, "Dennis Pogson"
wrote:
Jim wrote:
manta.bay wrote:
[...]

DP- Hide quoted text -

Calm down.

First off, while the QE2 does anchor, it always has crew on board, and
tug's are always nearby to help, if needed. Second, their isn't a
pleasure boat on the planet that doesn't sit without crew for extended
periods of time. We all have lives and jobs to go to, so an unattended
boat is hardly a hanging offense. And lastly, what possible good can
come from hauling an owner into a court for an ACCIDENT? Do you think
whatever they might get from them will be used to clean up the mess?
This isn't exactly a meteorite strike, it's a pretty safe bet our
planet can handle it.

This is simply a very unfortunate event that you never want to happen
to you.

Jim Jim is offline

Bill Kearney wrote:
I have a problem with leaving a boat unattended at anchor for any period
of time.

THREE DAYS is hardly being left unattended for any great length of time.

It was too long. The results are the proof.

Hopefully they had it properly (or at least partly) insured, wouldn't be
smart for a lender would extend a loan without it.

You cannot insure a ferrocement boat. Just because you can afford to
purchase one does not make it a wise choice.

"manta.bay" wrote in message
Hello readers please take a moment to view the following:

A 17 m yacht "Melanie" was recently destroyed in a sudden and violent
storm, please go to http://www.lostyacht.org for pictures and more
information. (this is a donation site)

Interesting reading ::: the web site is compelling.

WaIIy wrote:
On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 03:17:57 GMT, "Sir Thomas of Cannondale"
wrote:

"manta.bay" wrote in message
Hello readers please take a moment to view the following:

A 17 m yacht "Melanie" was recently destroyed in a sudden and
violent storm, please go to http://www.lostyacht.org for pictures
and more information. (this is a donation site)

Interesting reading ::: the web site is compelling.

It's not like their kid has cancer or they are out on the street.

They ****ed up, don't we all.

Hey, I lost 20K on a house once, please send me some cash.

The web site makes me slightly uncomfortable.

Certainly a novel alternative to insurance. Perhaps we should all try it.

DP

wrote:

"manta.bay" wrote in message
Hello readers please take a moment to view the following:

A 17 m yacht "Melanie" was recently destroyed in a sudden and
violent storm, please go to http://www.lostyacht.org for pictures
and more information. (this is a donation site)

Interesting reading ::: the web site is compelling.

It's not like their kid has cancer or they are out on the street.

They ****ed up, don't we all.

Hey, I lost 20K on a house once, please send me some cash.

The web site makes me slightly uncomfortable.

Certainly a novel alternative to insurance. Perhaps we should all try it.

DP

=============

Although I am not in a position to offer financial aid, I do feel bad for
these folks.

I opened their web page to learn what happened.

When reading about situations like the one they were in, I am reminded of
how important the anchor is.

I carry two anchors, a plow and a Danforth. Both are "right sized" for my
sailboat.

This summer, if all goes as planned, I will be doing a cruise where I may
end up leaving my boat unattended.
for a day or two. As such, I've gone out looking to a big, oversized anchor
to use just for this trip.

My feeling is: if I am going to take a chance, I want the largest anchor
possible to hold my boat.

I won't carry this anchor all the time, but for this special occasion.

Do you ever carry an oversized anchor for special trips, anchorages?
Wondering ..

If the two sailors in Aus, had a secure anchor, or mooring, they would not
be posting..

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 13:13:37 GMT, "Sir Thomas of Cannondale"
wrote:

Do you ever carry an oversized anchor for special trips, anchorages?
Wondering ..

Yes, and I use it for the regular working anchor. After 30+ years of
cruising New England and quite a few other places, I've become
convinced that the biggest anchoring risk is the unexpected squall
line that blows through in the middle of the night. If you save the
big anchor for "special trips or occasions" you will not have the
benefit when you are most likely in need of it.