Len Len is offline

Default Hydraulic steering: lines with severe soft spots

Hi NG,

A few years ago I topped up up the reservoir of my steering system
with BP 22 High Performance hydraulic oil. Everything works ok but now
I discovered a few stretched spots right after the hydraulic pump.
Could it be this BP oil affects the plastic lines? Any ideas about
cause and/or solution?

TIA, Len.

On 2008-01-05 16:23:00 -0500, Len said:

A few years ago I topped up up the reservoir of my steering system with
BP 22 High Performance hydraulic oil. Everything works ok but now I
discovered a few stretched spots right after the hydraulic pump. Could
it be this BP oil affects the plastic lines? Any ideas about cause
and/or solution?

I'd say replace with a hose that you know will handle it. Whatever the
old line's construction, it's time to replace, whether it was caused by
the oil or not. "Stretched" sounds like you might want to make the new
line a bit longer so it doesn't have that stress.

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD

Len Len is offline

On 6 jan, 02:38, Jere Lull wrote:

I'd say replace with a hose that you know will handle it. Whatever the
old line's construction, it's time to replace, whether it was caused by
the oil or not. "Stretched" sounds like you might want to make the new
line a bit longer so it doesn't have that stress.

With stretched I meant the forming of a spot with a much larger
diameter, like an aneurysma.
The lines have a reinforcement inbetween two layers and the outer
layer has come loose.
I'm even thinking about copper lines now.
Thanks for your reaction.
Len.

Len wrote:
On 6 jan, 02:38, Jere Lull wrote:

I'd say replace with a hose that you know will handle it. Whatever
the old line's construction, it's time to replace, whether it was
caused by the oil or not. "Stretched" sounds like you might want to
make the new line a bit longer so it doesn't have that stress.

With stretched I meant the forming of a spot with a much larger
diameter, like an aneurysma.
The lines have a reinforcement inbetween two layers and the outer
layer has come loose.
I'm even thinking about copper lines now.
Thanks for your reaction.
Len.

The metal re-inforced lines used on building plant, bulldozers etc., are
best, but are possibly not available in a small enough diameter for a
steering system.

Dennis.

Len,

Some hydraulic systems require the use of rather specific fluids.Using
the wrong ones can cause part failure. You may wish to consult with the
manufacturer of your boat or it's steering system. If you did use the wrong
fluid then you may experience other failures. If you are using the proper
fluid your hose could be dying of old age.

Dave M.

hydraulic steering goldspoon General 2 July 22nd 05 01:50 AM
Hydraulic steering -rick- General 3 February 10th 05 06:43 AM
hydraulic steering system Adam Boat Building 5 August 22nd 04 09:19 PM
Hydraulic steering for a 40ft cat? Michal General 6 March 13th 04 02:35 AM
Replacent hydraulic steering. Donny Boat Building 1 July 9th 03 04:29 PM