Adam

Default hydraulic steering system

I'm going to use hydraulic steering system in my project.
I'm wonder what is different between expensive pump and cylinders by
Teleflex SeaStar, in example and regular not expensive commercial parts.
Parameters are very close, material is the same, only cylinder ends are
different.
So the question is - what is different? can be used?
Thanks in advance
Adam
S/V SeaGoat

Glenn Ashmore

You might get away using standard cylinders if you can find the correct
displacement and stroke but the pump is a different matter. Teleflex
steering pumps have stronger shaft bearings to take side impact loads
from the steering wheel. Standard pumps are designed to handle more or
less constant loads from belts. If they are subject to repeated side
loads from you bracing against the wheel they will start to leak. They
also have different mounting flanges to spread the load better over the
dash/binacle.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Matt Colie

Adam,

If your project is a an auxiliary sail boat, reconsider your options.

I am one of those people that likes to feel the boat, and the hydraulic
steering boat that I have handled the steering was so poor that it was
not possible. One didn't even need a steering lock, underpower it took
about ten degrees of rudder to make straight ahead at cruising power and
there was enough friction in the system that you could let go the wheel
and it would not center.

Matt Colie A.Sloop "Bonne Ide'e"
Lifelong Waterman, Licensed Mariner and Perpetual Sailor

Adam wrote:
I'm going to use hydraulic steering system in my project.
I'm wonder what is different between expensive pump and cylinders by
Teleflex SeaStar, in example and regular not expensive commercial parts.
Parameters are very close, material is the same, only cylinder ends are
different.
So the question is - what is different? can be used?
Thanks in advance
Adam
S/V SeaGoat

James

Adam wrote:
I'm going to use hydraulic steering system in my project.
I'm wonder what is different between expensive pump and cylinders by
Teleflex SeaStar, in example and regular not expensive commercial parts.
Parameters are very close, material is the same, only cylinder ends are
different.
So the question is - what is different? can be used?
Thanks in advance
Adam
S/V SeaGoat

There is an australian built system.. dunno what the name is.....fitted to
Valsheda.... Feel is excellent.... and adjustable!

Evan Gatehouse

"Adam" wrote in message ...
I'm going to use hydraulic steering system in my project.
I'm wonder what is different between expensive pump and cylinders by
Teleflex SeaStar, in example and regular not expensive commercial parts.

I've never really seen a "commercial" rotary type helm pump! You need a
check valve arrangement to prevent the rudder from moving the steering wheel
in strong seas.

However, cylinders used on steering systems are of the balanced type (there
is a rod on both side of the cylinder). This is so the volume of fluid is
the same when turning either direction. Most commercial cylinders are
unbalanced type.

Are you sure the materials are the same - most marine hydraulic cylinders
are bronze or aluminum in the smaller sizes, with stainless rods. Typical
commercial cylinders are painted steel, with chromed steel rods.

Parameters are very close, material is the same, only cylinder ends are
different.
So the question is - what is different? can be used?
Thanks in advance
Adam
S/V SeaGoat

--
Evan Gatehouse

you'll have to rewrite my email address to get to me
ceilydh AT 3web dot net
(fools the spammers)

Allan Morrison

A google images search using - hydraulic boat steering -got lots of hits

one is

http://www.tmj.com.sg/steering2.html